iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum...I Think

Started by chickenchaser, October 03, 2013, 10:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenchaser

I've been sawing logs that have been on the ground for two years. I'd say I'm getting close to 3000BF and everything has been red oak - until today. When the customer dragged it up to the mill, I noticed it was a nice looking log compared to the ones I'd been sawing. When it went on the mill, I told him "Hey! This is the best one of the whole bunch!"  Straight as an arrow and not much waste slabbing in spite of the ground contact. Enough bark remained that I called it a sweetgum...or possibly a white oak.

Question #1 - doesn't white oak have the very distinctive "cat mess" smell? This one had a pleasant odor - not sour.

Question#2 - if it is a sweetgum, how well should it behave in drying? Customer wants 2x6x16s for rafters on a shed.

Thanks!

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

customsawyer

If it has been on the ground for two years I have doubts of it being sweetgum. Post some pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ellmoe

Quote from: customsawyer on October 04, 2013, 03:53:35 AM
If it has been on the ground for two years I have doubts of it being sweetgum. Post some pics.

Agree with CustomSawyer. Sweetgum rots quickly in log form.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

chickenchaser

Yeah, THAT was was the fly in the ointment. I couldn't imagine a sweetgum being that sound. Almost dark when I slabbed it off. I'll get pics.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

chickenchaser

I took pics...of what bark remained on the slabs, as well as the cant. In the good light of a sunny day ( almost dusk when I started slabbing ) I swept off the sawdust and it was apparent this was an oak. The top log showed up a short time later and had a little more bark on it. White oak - final answer.  ;)

Thanks!

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

Thank You Sponsors!