iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rustic kitchen made out of Red Oak and Walnut (picture intense)

Started by blaze83, December 07, 2010, 11:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaze83

hi everyone,

I've had a crazy summer and havn't posted much, but had a bit of time so i thought i'd share some pictures of my first real paying cabinet job. this is a kitchen with an island i built for a friend of the family. there are 17 cabinets, 3 of wich are in the island, and one which is a large panatry cabinet. I also built the countertops, they are laminate on a plywood build up with a walnut self edge.

any way I know how much we all enjoy photo's, so here you go :D

I tried to match my grains and wood characteristics carefully, the 3 main panals in the island are all book matched, my mom says the one in the middle looks like a cat

my dad taking a break after we finished installing the upper cabinets

the crown, valance, back splash, counter top self edge and the cabinet toe kick are all walnut. I also added strips of walnut to all my double doors on the non hinge side to help hide the shadow line when the doors are closed. I was not sure how it would all turn out using the walnut and oak together, but i like it and more importantly the friend of the family/ customer liked it too. it was a fun project, but was difficult because in between building and installing everything, i got side tracked by getting married, working my regular job, and taking 3 weeks to log 4 log truck loads of walnut and white pine logs from the resort where i work. any way, happy holidays to every one and thanks for reading mys post

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

DanG

Wow!  That's beautiful, Blaze!  I see the cat.  There is also a lizard eating a bug on the right panel, and a very sad tree face on the left.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

That wood has real character, not the vanilla stuff that you see in the cabinet section in the Box stores.  Beautiful!

On the island, the leftside panel is staring at me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

northwoods1

That is very nice work, cabinets are something I wish I had the ability to build. Nice kitchen design too that is about perfect.

Magicman

Thanks Steve for showing your Summer's accomplishments.  Very nice.  Where is the picture of the new wife  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pigman

The kitchen is beautiful as I am sure is your new wife. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Excellent work Blaze!  8)  8)  8)

That is one of the best looking oak kitchens I've seen lately.

I wonder how you found the time to do all of that and get married too!

I had all I could do to plan our surprise wedding for Jill, you also built a kitchen  ::)  ::)  ::)

You can and should be DanG proud of that one  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ernie

Thanks, Jan took one look and now I have been instructed to "make us a new kitchen please dear"  I only hope that i can do half as good a job.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

wesdor

Very impressive!

You are one busy guy. What do you do in your spare time? 

I like the cabinets and also am impressed with layout.

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

metalspinner

Yeah!

Those cabinets will be bragged about every time somebody new walks in the kitchen.  They certainly have a real custom quality about them that will be noticed by all. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cbecker

Awesome job.  Looks very nice.  Hope mine come out as well.

laffs

very nice work on those cabinets
youl like married life its a great institution
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Lud

Real nice,  Blaze!   Getting paid for your work means you now have to admit to being a Professional!

Congratulations!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

blaze83

wow :) thank you all so much for the nice compliments...it is good to hear....sometimes i can be my own worst critic >:(

Merry Christmas every one!! 8)

Steve

ljmathias

Great job, Blaze... so when can I count on you coming down to help with my daughter's new house= needs cabinets. :) :)

Oh, and the "getting married" is the easy part, just like making babies.  It's the "rest of the story" that's hard.  You have to work at a marriage and remember the 3 "C"s: commitment, communication and compromise.  The communication is especially important on finances- take Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" as soon as you can and it will steer the course for your marriage; at least, it worked for me.

Oh, and the compromise part goes like this: "Whatever she wants, you compromise."  With the addendum that it's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission, especially on tools that you "need."  ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

blaze83

LJ,

if it doesn't warm up soon my wife might be headed to mississippi with or with out me hahha, it would be fun to help with the cabinets on your daughter's new house wish we where closer.

thanks for the input on the marriage pointers, i will have to check out dave ramsey's book, I like the things i've heard from him on Fox and the radio. A book that has helped us both is by Jimmy Evans called "Marriage on the Rock" it discusses a Christ centered marriage and talks in detail about a lot of aspects of marriage from a Biblical perspective including the 3 c's you mentioned.

thanks again for the compliments and input,

Merry Christmas and be blessed  :)

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!