iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge siding

Started by Bruno of NH, March 06, 2016, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have a job coming up that the owner wants live edge siding .
Any sawing tips on this kind of siding ?
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ox

What a sweet job that'll be!  No edging!  Flat saw and flip the cant accordingly for tension is all I can think of.  Basic as basic can be.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

I don't get the chance to saw Adirondack Siding very often, but it goes pretty quick.

Makes for a nice sawjob!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

VTwoodworker

I assume this will be horizontal lap siding.  This type of siding installs much better if there is one wild edge and one straight edge with a relatively consistent width.  Then the question is how "wild" the customer wants the edge.  If the logs are not limbed tight or they are not straight then the wild edge will have more character.  Once you decide on the look turn the log to use the most desirable edge.  Sounds like a fun project.  Good luck.

bkaimwood

X2...one edged side and one live edge is best for install AND sawing...flat flitch sawing is tougher on blades, and is higher risk for some slight inconsistencies due to "bark sawing". I recommend opening 3 faces, and putting the bark side on the exit side of the cut...much less blade wear, nicer lumber...
bk

fishfighter

Quote from: bkaimwood on March 06, 2016, 07:36:23 PM
X2...one edged side and one live edge is best for install AND sawing...flat flitch sawing is tougher on blades, and is higher risk for some slight inconsistencies due to "bark sawing". I recommend opening 3 faces, and putting the bark side on the exit side of the cut...much less blade wear, nicer lumber...

Good tip. ;D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: bkaimwood on March 06, 2016, 07:36:23 PM

BK,

I understand the saw 3 concept but looks to me like it would be much better to put the sawed side against the side rails and clamp the live/bark side. I know on my mill it would clamp tighter with the sawed side on the exit side. Of course I'd still need to run the debarker. May have to test the bark against the side on mine in the near future to confirm how that works.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bkaimwood

No doubt you'll have to watch it when it gets down to 2 or 3"... But on at 12" or better cant, you should be able to saw 75% of it as mentioned... 75% is alot when it comes to blade life and quality sawn products...Let us know how it works out for you...
bk

GAB

Does anyone have a video of sawing siding as described?
I'm trying to envision how to saw it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

I cut them ¾" and cut 3 faces off, put the ruff face out on the clamp side and cut to the bed. With accuset 2 it's easy. I give the customer a ¾"x2" starter strip to kick out the first one. All the trim is 2"

I tell the customer to nail the top of the thing to hang the board, then give them time to dry and just before they start to cup nail the bottom edge. That way they won't split.
Use galvanized nails or SS.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

Peter,
Nice shed.Good idea on the nailing sequence too.Just remember to go back and nail the bottom edge or you will have scalloped siding.A Darwin candidate here sided his whole house with spruce clapboards,only nailing the top edge,he didn't want to see any fasteners,the results were not good.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

I don't have good luck with the spruce clapboards . The grade is never that good .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I'm going to saw the siding this spring then sticker and stack it .
Building the owner a new house in spring of 2017 . 36 x 40 salt box with 13x16 bump out . It's some kind of timber frame kit . I will sub framing out and do the siding and interior finish .
Bruno

47sawdust

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 07, 2016, 07:29:09 AM
I don't have good luck with the spruce clapboards . The grade is never that good .
Bruno
Try ¼ sawn spruce,very stable,expensive,traditional N.E. product.Ward's clapboard mill Maine and Vermont.There may be other's but I am familiar with these.I know the product you are talking about and they can be frustrating to use.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

terrifictimbersllc

Good advice above. I'll add that the exercise is one of picking the best natural edge, putting that face down, sawing off the  opposite edge, then sawing the boards.  You will want to discuss how wide the boards should be, reveal plus hidden, beforehand so you can pick the best range of widths. All the wavy edge siding I've cut was hemlock and it was a lot of fun.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ox

:D  I guess live edge means a little bit more in other areas than it does here!  Here, it'll just be flat sawing through and through and "here's your live edge boards!"
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Live edge or Adirondack Siding only has one live edge, the other is cut!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

Learning something new every day!  It's a beautiful thing.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!