iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372XP clone: Your experiences?

Started by Old Greenhorn, April 08, 2019, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

OK, so I really wanted to get a new 372, even got a great price from a dealer that is hard to walk away from. But the key words here are that I WANTED ONE. I don't NEED one. That is, I don't cut the big stuff enough to justify it, nor do I get paid for the cutting I do, it is just part of my life. For the few times a year I NEED a 372, the justification is simply not there. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a clone.
 I know that it is like playing roulette with these clones, but frankly it seems like the only responsible choice I have given the usage. I know @weimedog has a lot of experience with these as rebuilding and souping them up and mixing in OEM parts, etc. I have read all his posts at least once and think I've seen all his videos (THANK YOU!). I am talking about out of the box stock units here. Yes, I clearly know that a clone may require some tinkering from time to time. I am not afraid of that, but it should run well out of the box in the beginning at least. I keep my stuff clean and serviced, it saves a lot on repairs and lost work time.

The question: For those that have gone this route, what has been your experience on how these things run new and hold up with occasional use? Are those $9.00 bars they sell any good? What about their chains? Figured I would order everything from them to get it started, then replace with better parts as it wears. I know there were some horror stories in the early days of folks not even getting what they ordered or having it not run out of the box. Looking to make sure I am not throwing all of my money away. I should at least get a saw that runs and cuts. SO, tell me your stories, good and bad, please.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Air Lad

Mine is a good experience 
I dont know what this one was a copy of but after the coil died suddenly at 3 months
The selling company replaced free
This saw seems more powerful than the 51.2 cc
in nine years only replaced a tiny quad ring (square edged O ring) inside the oil pump to stop a leak when parked up
Recently did a carb kit
She is running sweet
Might be a Jonsered copy
Cheers

Allar

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Yup, as I said, I have read them all as far as I know. I am just looking for the general experience of those who actually made a purchase. Sometimes what works for one turns out to be a totally different experience for the next fella.
 It appears, through lack of response, that not many folks have actually bought one of these or think I am going to the dark side if I do. I just wanted to see if there are any horror stories out there. I still want an OEM 372, but unless my life changes, I can't justify the cost. So it's the clone or nothing for now.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Well due to the underwhelming response I have been left to make a decision on my own (thanks Air Lad, you had the deciding vote). I pulled the trigger tonight and placed the order for the clone. I also ordered some other parts for other saws and spares.
My thinking in all this is that I want to see how this stuff can function well for such a cheap price. I fully expect some failures right out of the box. I hope the saw can run well enough to cut on short duty cycles, that's all I need. I bought some rims, 3 bars, 2 chains, air filter, a muffler, etc. SHipping was not cheap, but not crazy. I am concerned that it all even shows up at my door.
I am sure many think I am selling out to the cheap knock-offs that are undercutting the guys developing the good stuff. Of course, you are somewhat right. I did make the purchase which supports their business. I feel more than a fair amount of guilt for this, given what I have seen of their business practices and their effect on the world economy. I also know first hand the quality that I can expect. If this all blows up on me and I look foolish, I will let you know. I have no illusions of coming off cheap and well in this deal, but lets see how it goes. It's an experiment I plan to learn from. I don't think this would change how I buy stuff in the future, I like to get OEM whenever it is available for important things like saws. I am actually holding the dream that I can make a few bucks using the clone to sell it and buy a real 372. If that works out then I will call it a win.
I'll let you know how it plays out.

Air Lad

Although very strong about genuine gear I have and trust .My little "china doll" has done
nothing wrong for what she has been put through.
Not a 372 clone but
Good luck with you're decision mate
In the event of failures I think genuine parts should fit along the way
Just got my old Echo running tonight
Back in the 70's they used to say Japanese machinery was cheap rubbish
This old Echo seems to be really well built

HolmenTree

I bought a 372XP (old edition) new 15 years ago. Loved that saw from that era, but sold it a year ago. 562XP is presently my main bigger saw soon to be replaced with a MS462 cm.
But if you're a Husqvarna owner with lots of bar/chains for them you'd be foolish not to look into a 572XP. Maybe a little overkill for some but I'm sure you wouldn't  be sorry.

Here's my old 372XP when I sold it.

But if you like older Huskies here's a pic of my mint like new 1993 272XP that I also sold .

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Old Greenhorn

Nice clean saws Holmen! However, the Husky's are just out of my price range, even used. (A co-worker found a 'not running' 372 for $200 bucks last night, but by the time he told me today, it was sold. I would have grabbed it up.)
 SO I am stuck with the clones (for now) as the only available alternative to get me into the bigger bar 70cc class for the few times I need it a year. As I said, if I get to the point of generating some cash down the road, then getting a real saw would be more likely and I may have had enough of the tinkering with the clone by then anyway.
 That's why I was asking what folks actual experience was with the clone saws.

cliffreaves

I took the plunge a couple months ago and bought the 372 clone.  I am really happy with it!  I already had bars and chains though from my 395xp (Oregon bars and carlton chains).  So far I've cut down and bucked 3 36" white oaks and 1 40" poplar  with it.  No trouble at all.  As far as longevity, I have no idea.  Worst case scenario all of the parts are cheap from the same supplier.  I've ran a 36" and 24" bar on it with no problemo. Perhaps I got lucky with my particular saw though.

HolmenTree

Fellas, I have no experience with clone saws but if the savings are there I see no reason owning one if it's not used every day to make a living with.
If a part breaks or goes defective you're not out alot of money to replace it.
Better yet replace that defective part  with a OEM part and you should be good to go for the long haul.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

I've had a "kit" saw 372, a Holzfforma g372 and a g372xp go through the program here. All needed a little "development" but made chips when done. All are still running (elsewhere) now as I moved them along to make room for other project saws. I guess I have mixed feeling on all this, as documented in the video's. I don't think they are for everyone. If a person has the skills and doesn't mine a bit of a gamble, they can be a lot of fun. For those looking for a tool and want it to be "right" out of the box, buy OEM.  And from the hobby stand point....again mixed. As it can be a lot of fun building kits, I had a pile of fun developing the 660 kits to real productive machines; for many that would be a pain. One advantage is the parts are clean..:) But from a price performance perspective, sometimes you can end up with a better situation starting from a dead OEM saw, again depending on the skill set and tools. SO as I said ...mixed. Of the options, the g372 had nicer plastic than the g372xp...and was a lot easier to get sorted out. The kit was better yet as you can "sub" in better parts right during the build...so bottom line for me? Not for everyone. But with the right expectations, mind set, and skill set can be a lot of fun as well as a productive tool.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Old Greenhorn

Yes @weimedog I have read all your posts and watched all your videos I could find. I thought too long and very hard on this. Now that I have pulled the trigger and ordered the G372 powerhead complete, I am still on the fence. I can fix most anything and I know you are a good resource if I get stuck. You have always been very clear "If you want trouble free, but OEM" I get that. But I could not even find a dead OEM carcass around here for a decent price.  By 'decent price' I mean a price that I can afford plus the cost of repair parts to bring it to a reliable working condition. I don't think $400. for a dead carcass is a decent price. Even my wife thinks I should have gotten the OEM, but she doesn't understand the minimal usage time this saw will see in my hands.
 I also ordered 3 bars while I was at it (for this and other saws), but now I am reading here and there that they are total junk as manufactured. I haven't read any opinions from you on the bars. Can you share a little on that aspect? Having been warned, I will keep a close eye on them and dress them as needed (this being the chief complaint I have heard, the rail heights do not match, as well as the groove being oversize for a given gauge).
 I'll wait my two weeks, hope all the stuff shows up, and then go from there. If you have any specifics on the things I should check before I even fire it up, I would be all ears. (I am a bit concerned that the tracking number they sent me shows up as "invalid number" on the China Post website and even though they say "1 year warranty", there is no way on their website to contact them. Yeah, this could be an expensive adventure.)
Tom

weimedog

I have never tried their bars. I've used Total's for the past few years, Sugi's before that, and now moving on to the Much less expensive Oregon versa cut's as they are light and seem to be durable, certainly durable enough for what I do. I had some Forester bars, they were OK just a bit heavy. I caution on putting too much value on "online" expertise as often its as much about "look what I have!, I'm so great!" as a real objective analysis and understanding. A lot of those bars are just fine for many folks. Since my priority is weight, ( Because I am old and hurt a lot) I have gravitated away from the lower cost bars, not because they won't guide a chain, just a lighter bar is worth the money to me.

Chances are the g372 will do just fine. The saw snobs in the "kit saw" world can recommend a gazillion ways to make it almost OEM....and by the time u have done that you might as well have purchased OEM! The kits saw thing has developed a life and culture of its own. Never second guess once the money is spent on something like that, put the pedal down and figure how to make it work usually ends up with the best results.

As far as saws are concern, just look at Face Book Market as there were several 372's for under $400. I just picked up a well worn but running 372xp XT for $200 bucks from an Amish fellow, (who bought a 576 ). Figure its a project saw now, will get bearings, seals, and maybe a Hyway 52mm top end with a Popup, blended to the carb that is on that "XT" saw. SO dollar wise, $200-$250 for  saw, $30 for bearings, another $20 for seals, $25 for a OE OEM 372 intake boot....and elbow grease. Oh yeah, $100 for the Hyway top end. Total price: $375-$425 for a fresh saw that has a lot of punch, and no big dollar porting either to make it cut faster than a stocker. Maybe a video....documenting the cost of a project saw such as this. Like we did with the 390's... I'm leaning that direction vs. AM at this point for me. I've built the 2171 and this will be the second "personal" use saw for the season. The other 372's are out with loggers in the HTSS test program..:)

But to the original posting, I can't see a reason why you can't make the g372 work and be pleased with the results.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Old Greenhorn

If I could have found a decent carcass for $200. I would have jumped on it.
 When I watched all your videos and read your reports, I was looking for issues that I would not be comfortable dealing with. I didn't see any. The fancy porting stuff you do to improve performance is not something I have a need or desire to do, and for the rest, I was comfortable in my understanding and ability to work through the issues. The only tools I lack is a case splitter and a compression gauge. Easy to fix that.
 I am actually a little excited to get started on this. We shall see where it goes. Thanks again for all the posts and videos. I would not be at this point without your help.

Old Greenhorn

Well, nearly 2 weeks of waiting and UPS tracking tells me the saw (along with a bunch of other parts and bars) will be delivered today. It has been sitting at their terminal here in Town since Saturday. Would have been nice to have it then, but maybe I can sneak out of work a little early today and check it out. I guess I should give it a good checking over before I throw a bar on it and head to the woods. I have only ever bought 1 new saw, the rest were used.
 Here goes nothin' ;D

Old Greenhorn

Well my gut was probably right. I just got home from work expecting the saw to be here and there was a well wrapped package that only contained the bars, chains, and parts I ordered. There is no saw power head. I think I got the shaft and foresee lots of emails back and fourth with the bottom line being that I lose. I should have never let myself be taken in. *DanG, I feel like a jackass.

lxskllr

Don't give up yet. These tend to be small operations, and stuff doesn't go as smoothly as it does with amazon. You'll probably get your stuff, but it may take a little while, especially if it's coming from China.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: lxskllr on April 22, 2019, 05:42:02 PM
Don't give up yet. These tend to be small operations, and stuff doesn't go as smoothly as it does with amazon. You'll probably get your stuff, but it may take a little while, especially if it's coming from China.
They only gave me one tracking number for a single package. That package arrived without the saw. I am pretty sure I got taken. I should have known. I am the guy who always takes it in the shorts on these deals.

motzingg

did you order from hutzl/farmertec/ holzforma whatever?  i've got a couple things from them and they have come through. 

i would be concerned with buying the fully assembled power head since you never know what kind of epa/customs shenanigans might be involved.  i'm sure you'll get it eventually.   I have had motorcycle parts get held up in customs before since it has to do with engines and stuff they have different customs declaration codes,  if the shipper fills it out wrong it can delay things.  

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, from Hutzl. My concern is that there was only one tracking number provided for one package. That package arrived. It could not have gotten separated if it was all in one box. I think they never shipped it in the first place. The package was listed as 11 pounds and what I got weighed 11 pounds. That's another concern. Even if they ship another one (the first one?) I will be waiting another 2 weeks. I had a job planned for it and allowed 3 weeks for delivery from the order date. Now I am screwed even in the best of circumstances with the exception of coming home tomorrow and finding it sitting here. I doubt that will happen. That never happens to me. It will be a long painful process from here out, I can feel it. It's what I get for buying this stuff. I took a look at the bars they sent. and have spent a half hour trying to dress the short (20") down to where the rails are even height. Terrible manufacturing work, but I expected it and know how to fix it.

hamish

I have never had an issue with delivery from Hutzl, but have had many an issue with UPS, USPS, FEDEX, US Customs, CDN Customs, Canada Post and the list goes on and on........
Figured if they can ship me a powerhead from China and all the super efficent western carriers have there stars align and I can get it in 9 business days, all is good.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Old Greenhorn

Well I wasted all of last evening on this and didn't get any work done, I was so pithed off. After several messages back and forth with them, I learned that they shipped the saw the day after the other stuff and gave me the Chinese tracking number for that second box. That was a dead end at customs where it was last reported to be 7 days ago. This morning I got a UPS number from them, but this shows that they (UPS) have not yet gotten the package. It also shows the package at around 5 pounds, which can't be right.
 I understand this stuff takes time, but I am really ticked that they didn't give me all the shipping information as it developed, or at least update the order info on their web page as it changed. I had to find out the hard way, then waste an evening trying to find out what was going on and ask multiple questions before they finally offered up the info they should have given in the first place and avoided the whole mess. I'll just sit on my hands and hope it shows up.
 I got one and a half bars dressed last night, holy cow those rails are so mis-matched it's unbelievable. probably off by .02-.03". I am wearing out a brand new dressing file already and haven't even started on the 28" bar. Hopefully with proper preparation and fixing, they will last for a reasonable amount of time. It's not the first time I had to fix something brand new before I can use it. Well, i was looking for a little adventure, I guess I got one.

bluthum

For what it's worth I ordered a Joncutter 58cc saw 14 days ago and got it today. Factors influencing my decision were price and the fact I have bars,  chains and other parts to fit. Also my saw demands are decreasing as I get older.  I think this is a copy of a 261 Jonsered, no?  If to be believed the power/weight ratio on paper is pretty decent.

Anyway I put on a bar and chain, fueled and lubed it and it started right up after a few pulls. After warming it started easy with 1 pull. I stuck it into a dead post oak and it cuts at least ok, further testing  is in order. I really like the feel/balance and the old school controls and adjustments. 

It is very loud and I don't see me forgetting using ear plugs with this, I guess that's one old school part I could live with out. The big question is of course durability over the long haul, who knows about that. For sure If I were using a saw for a living daily I would spring for a name brand saw but perhaps these knock offs have their place?  Fun to explore without a big investment at any rate.

Old Greenhorn

Well good luck with it! I a glad you have your own bars. I ordered a few to try them and am already sorry I did. As mentioned earlier they need dressing right out of the box. The longer the bar, the worse the mismatch in the rails. Finished the 24" last night and started the 28" holy cow! Got one side pretty much done, but it took all night. Tonight I finish it off and do the other side. They are so bad you can't even stand them on edge. After filing, much better. My hands are getting pretty sore.
 tomorrow is 14 days and no hoe to see the saw, it still has not cleared customs. Quite a fight to get the second set of tracking info out of them. I still hold out hope, I hear stories on both sides.

Pine Ridge

Been keeping an eye on this every evening, truly hope this has a happy ending for you and things are good.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Thank You Sponsors!