iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I expect to pay for a Timber Assesment? 20 acres SE Missouri

Started by t444e, August 10, 2010, 01:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t444e

Hello, Great Forum you got here.

I recently purchased small piece of land (20 acres) in SE Missouri Ozarks.  It is mostly oak.  
Not being from the area  and not being familiar with the Logging Industry I was wanting to find out   how much I would expect to pay for a Timber Assesment?  I would like to know exactly what I have and the quality  and quantity of the wood if possible.

I have not called or spoke with any local loggers yet.    There is a lot of mills in the area, 4-5 within 3 miles of my property.
Not sure who to call. I am just learning before I call and waste anyones time.

I might want to have it cut or maybe cut it myself in the future to offset a small hunting shack or  camp.

Thanks

Ron Scott

Contact the local conservation district forester or DNR service forester serving the local area for such local advice. They may advise you free of charge or refer you to a certified consulting forester. Consult with a professional forester first for an appropriate timber assessment to meet your objectives.
~Ron

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

t444e

chain

The SE Missouri regional forestry and conservation office is in Cape Girardeau, ph.573-290-5730. Or better yet go by and speak with the District forester there and visit the Nature Center, outstanding facility. 

t444e

Quote from: chain on August 11, 2010, 03:34:21 PM
The SE Missouri regional forestry and conservation office is in Cape Girardeau, ph.573-290-5730. Or better yet go by and speak with the District forester there and visit the Nature Center, outstanding facility. 

Thank You That is very helpful. I  lived in Cape  in 2004 . I did stop by the nature center once in 2004 to buy a book on Missouri Rivers and Creeks.   I will have to stop back by there soon,  Thanks Again

maple flats

Never call a logger first. You want a forester in your corner first. He will asses the lot and let you know if a logging contract should be in your immediate future. If yes, he will mark the trees and write the solicitation for bid. He (or she) will also manage the sale. A timber sale should be treated with the same caution and safeguards that most people use in a land or home purchase or sale. Done wrong the woodlot can be ruined for a very long time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I forgot one thing. If a timber sale is called for the forester will not cost you money, he will make you money.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ron Scott

~Ron

t444e

Thanks Guys,  That is good advice. I agree i would like an unbiased opinion.  I will  contact the appropriate folks and see when they can fit me into the schedule.   Thanks Again

t444e

After taking your guys advice I called and  spoke with a Forestry  Technician from my county 2 days ago.  And we are  meeting at my property at 7AM this coming Monday. Man that is fast service.    I have a ton of questions regarding proper management  and wildlife.
Can't wait to get educated!  Can't wait to hit the road!!!!!!  I have about a 6 hr  drive here from  Illinois.

Thanks for the Advice. I'm sure I will have more questions.

CHAIN thanks for the phone #. Very Helpful.

deutz4

This is the kind of post that makes me feel sorry for the consulting forester. Having worked in the industry for 35+ yrs I have rarely met a forester I didn't like. Their usual attitude is to leave the forest a better place than when they entered. I feel the same way (sometimes roads aren't given the same value). In our area we have too many people representing themselves as foresters when they are nothing more than brokers/crooks. When we decided to cut 80 acres of NH that we have owned since 1950,(Dad logged it then), we hired a forester we trusted because we KNEW that if we marked it ourselves we couldn't help but be influenced by the market value of each tree. He said we were sitting on a savings plan that would keep growing. This was 10 years ago.  With todays markets we have been hurt a bit but it is still a stunning forest.

semologger

Welcome to SE Mo. I am guessing that the timber is in Cape? Not to far away from me. I am in Doniphan Mo.

Thank You Sponsors!