iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing burnt pine trees

Started by Conard, August 01, 2018, 10:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conard

Question ???  Beetle killed trees vs burnt trees.  Do burnt forest pine trees produce the same kind of coloring that a beetle killed tree does?  I commented on someones milled timer as if it was beetle kill and he replied nope burnt trees produce the same coloring even better.  Is there some truth to this?

elite64a

I would agree the burnt pine would probably have more color than the beetle kill.  I am sure the intense heat change some properties of the tree and the pitch inside it.  Think about it like this when lightning strike a pine tree in the summer time huge chunks of it become FATWOOD or fat lighter as some of us call it. Always smells great, will burn under almost any condition, will never rot, and produce some amazing color.  The downside I see is that hardened pitch will most likely dull your blades or chains really fast.

BaldBob

Quote from: Conard on August 01, 2018, 10:08:51 PM
Question ???  Beetle killed trees vs burnt trees.  Do burnt forest pine trees produce the same kind of coloring that a beetle killed tree does?  I commented on someones milled timer as if it was beetle kill and he replied nope burnt trees produce the same coloring even better.  Is there some truth to this?
The Blue stain found on beetle killed pine is caused by a fungus that is spread by the bark beetles.  In fact it is usually this fungus that actually kills the trees rather than the action of the beetles themselves. Fire killed or fire weakened  trees usually attract secondary beetles which will also introduce the stain causing fungus into the trees.

No_Dude

I can tell you for a fact that fatwood is plain evil on cutting instruments. It's sticky when you try to cut it, and also harder. I personally avoid fatwood like the plague unless I have a specific use for it. 

bags

It mostly depends on how much the tree was cooked--- rare, medium or well done. Rare to medium timbers make good lumber--- well done, and its junk.

(Pic is medium cooked fire kill ponderosa pine)

Smithkp

That board would look good just hanging on the wall. Even better with an epoxy finish.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thank You Sponsors!