iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I rented one of those little chevy cars one time, absolutely loved it.
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've had customer's pick up 12 foot lumber in those before.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

Fun little cars to drive, those little cars all decked out with their bow tie! :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

Be careful with a "Spark" at a sawmill. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

4x4American

Well Peter,  the day after you broke your edger I broke myn...Piece of wood wedged itself into the sprocket that's conveniently located in spot where little chunks of wood can get to.  Usually it just pops the chain off, we put it back on and we're good.  This time it was a piece of that compacted grain maple that plugs up your splitter and it plugged her up good.  The hydraulic line on the flow valve started leaking like a siv at the swivel joint.  Still have to figure out why it didn't go to relief.  Anyways, it got so wedged in there that it bent the hydraulic motor mount.  We had to reverse the lines on the motor to back it out.  Then when I bent the motor mount back it broke to weld and I had to break out the welder and weld it back.  I was soaking wet from all the snow and wasn't thinking, when I put the rod into the stinger I got stung lol So that was fun.  I gotta get this thing under cover cause she don't like to work when its wet.  Does your edger have spots where wood plugs it up frequently?  On my edger there are 3 spots where wood always gets wedged and we have to shut down and unclog it.  I'm just wondering if other edgers do that too?

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I have one spot where a small knot falling out of the edge off part sometimes gets in next to the feed roller and the housing, 
Just turn off the thing and pick the knot out good to go.

I think I figure out how to put a hydro pump on mine to run a conveyor and table flip.  
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I bet you could put a pump on a swing arm and use it like an idler pulley against the main drive belts. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PAmizerman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 11, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
I have one spot where a small knot falling out of the edge off part sometimes gets in next to the feed roller and the housing,
Just turn off the thing and pick the knot out good to go.

I think I figure out how to put a hydro pump on mine to run a conveyor and table flip.  
Peter why not just use air for the dump table. I have all the parts to make a dump table right now. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. I just don't have the room to put it in and didn't get a edger yet 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Peter Drouin

Going to put a pully on the mandrel. The same one like that's on there now, the pully/ shive? will slide on the shaft and go where I want it. Going to get a pump like the one on my Morebark chipper. Going to get a drive motor like the one on the chipper feed rollers. To run the belt, I'll have to make a hydro tank to fit in the big opening in the body of the edger, the side where the drive belt is.
I'm going to use the outfeed rollers I have on the edger to make a pan/ table with rollers into it, I'm thinking I will use the outfeed frame to put the hinges on and hydro arm to lift the pan to dump on the conveyor.
I thought just arms in between the rollers. But I think small pieces of wood will get caught or fall on the floor. I want all of the pieces it to come back to me.

I have been looking at an outfit called Beltseruice conveyor & belting.
I want all of the stuff to fit in the edger box,
The goal is to have a self-contained edger with a return for the lumber and junk.
When I get all the stuff together I'll start to fab.
If anyone thinks of something please tell me

The hard part like I told 4x4 on the phone, is to stop cutting wood and set your self up to be more efficient.
You might be going things the hard way, but, your making lumber and money coming in. You hate to stop and reset your stuff.
But in the long run, you will drop the BF price of cutting lumber.
Dave, I'm going to give that idea some thought.

I'm cutting some lumber this week for my 40' addition, A crew will come in next week and get the roof on.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

brianJ

@ Peter    The hard part of stopping to rearrange is Id make my efficiency worse three or four times before I lucked into a configuration thats an improvement

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 11, 2018, 06:07:52 PM
The hard part like I told 4x4 on the phone, is to stop cutting wood and set your self up to be more efficient

I agree totally.  That's why my signature is "Take steps to save steps." :D It takes effort to stop and try to streamline.  It's not easy.  

I was talking about edger dump tables to a fellow who had seen one rigged on a hinged plywood table top for his edger outfeed.  He had a rope tied from the rising side of the dump table to a couple pulleys back to the front of the edger. When he wanted to dump the edgings and boards in the return conveyor, he just pulled on the rope and the side of the table came up and the stuff slid off.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

I like to break up my days cutting wood with a little wind therapy, or what i tell my wife, I need to blow this sawdust off me!  :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Peter Drouin

I have to wait for a northeaster to go by.  :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 12, 2018, 12:06:10 PM
I have to wait for a northeaster to go by.  :D

That one will danG sure blow some sawdust off ya!  8) thumbs-up I like that solo seat! And that fat front tire!
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Kbeitz

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on March 12, 2018, 10:23:20 AM
I like to break up my days cutting wood with a little wind therapy, or what i tell my wife, I need to blow this sawdust off me!  :D

Not going to work with the dust protector on the front...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 12, 2018, 01:08:53 PM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on March 12, 2018, 10:23:20 AM
I like to break up my days cutting wood with a little wind therapy, or what i tell my wife, I need to blow this sawdust off me!  :D

Not going to work with the dust protector on the front...

Ohhh, it WORKS GREAT!  You just have to go faster! :D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Quote from: brianJ on March 11, 2018, 06:27:33 PM
@ Peter    The hard part of stopping to rearrange is Id make my efficiency worse three or four times before I lucked into a configuration thats an improvement

I'm learning quickly that this requires both study AND experience......right now I can't get out of my own way.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

If you knew how many if my "ideas" were total failures, you'd belly laugh.  I figure its like most things, try it, change it, try it again, and so on.  

Oh, reading this Forum will help a lot.  There are absolutely top notch folks on this Forum that don't mind helping others.  Certainly I've sucked up as much information as I could and adapted what I can.  Kudos to them all, and keep on keeping on.   
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Peter Drouin

The other thing YellowHammer, Is we all have a different market. Like what you do would be hard to sell up here. Not much money up here for your market. 
Some wood would sell but, I don't think I could make a living.
Everyone is spending money for high taxes, wood, oil, to stay warm, Winter clothes to stay warm. Fixing the trucks with all the salt eating them.
On and On.  :D

So your setup would not be the same as mine. I think we all can get some ideas from each other.
Like you and others only cut 8' logs with a few width sizes. I start with 70 sizes 8' to 16' and go up from there.  :D ::) ::)
It's all good.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

You make a good argument to move south!   :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Good day with the northeaster going by to heat treat some blades.

then set.

When I get all them set, I'll sharpen them.

4 more boxes to go, and some new ones,

4 new boxes of 7s always like to keep a bunch ahead.
4x4 the next time you stop by I have some 1½ 7s 55 you can have,
I ran them one time and did not like them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

starmac

What is it about the 1 1/2 X7'sX55  that you don't like?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LeeB

Nice to see a shop that looks used.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 13, 2018, 01:13:21 PM
Good day with the northeaster going by to heat treat some blades.

then set.

When I get all them set, I'll sharpen them.

4 more boxes to go, and some new ones,

4 new boxes of 7s always like to keep a bunch ahead.
4x4 the next time you stop by I have some 1½ 7s 55 you can have,
I ran them one time and did not like them.
I guess you have a blade heat treater machine?  Also see that Harley hiding out in there  ;D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!