iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Regeneration Siliviculture

Started by Mbaue825, January 31, 2018, 05:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbaue825

Hey Everyone,

I am a forester that works with the Wi DNR and I had a question about oak Siliviculture. I have a mixed black, red oak and white oak stand that has come to rotation age. The stand is located in the SW Region of WI which has high deer density. I am trying to experiment with Two  Silivicultural on the same harvest. One being patch clear cuts about 2 acres in size and then setting up a shelterwood in between the patch clearcuts. The stand I am working with is 40 acres in size and half that acreage is getting clearcut in this harvest. From what I can see this method is sometimes referred to as a irregular shelterwood method. My question has any one ever tried to use this method in oak and had success? My theory is to expert to see which method is more successful at getting regen and the deer have less effect on

Tarm

Irregular shelterwoods are where small and mid-size trees are left in the shelterwood overstory to become part of the next stand. If you are doing that in the area you are creating the shelterwoods in then yes, you are doing irregular shelterwoods between the clearcuts. But mixing clearcuts with shelterwoods does not make the shelterwoods irregular. Are you trying to do expanding gap shelterwoods? Vermont extension has a great webinar about irregular shelterwoods. I recommend it.

Mbaue825

That is exactly what I am doing. I am going to have change the wording on ny timbersake write up then. I have heard of that method before when I was in school but it had a crazy finish or swedish name to it. I am pretty sure I am going to hack the spelling of it , but phonetically it was spell flema-sloggan. Or something close that at least haha

Pclem

Up here one county over [clark county Wi], They have done a fantastic job with regenerating oak. I don't know if it would be worth it to contact the county forester there and pick their brain??
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Thank You Sponsors!