iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel Choices

Started by Chuck White, June 21, 2013, 10:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Just looking for some opinions!

I've been using 87 octane gasoline in the 24hp Onan on my sawmill with 1 ounce of "Restore" and 1 ounce of "Seafoam" added to each 5 gallons of gasoline.

I'm thinking about the added cost of the Regular gas with the additives as compared to the 91 octane gasoline without the ethonal.

In this area, the 91 octane is about $.45 higher than the 87 octane.

The cost would still be slightly higher than the 87 octane, but I wouldn't have to put the additives in.

Any thoughts?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quote..... 91 octane gasoline with the ethonal.

In this area, the 91 octane is about $.45 higher than the 87 octane.

Here, we pay more for the ethanol-free gas, by about $0.20 per gallon.  They are forcing the ethanol gas down our throats.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmillhand

i believe either way you are going to pay more because if you run regular gas, then you need to add stabil or any gas treatment to it so the water in the ethanol does not eat the fuel lines and the carbs up. i see these ethanol free gas stations but can you really be sure its ethanol free? I use the mid grade fuel, i to have a onan 24 hp performer and i mix stabil in it every time and sea foam about once every week. If you use the equipment everyday then you shouldn't have any problems but diffidently would add something to the ethanol to offset the water in it.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

beenthere

Quotediffidently would add something to the ethanol to offset the water in it.

And how does anyone know that these additives do anything to offset the water ?? Really don't.

When using these multitude of fuel addatives, seems there is really no way to know, but just go with the advertising that says it will work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Use non-ethanol gas.  Adding additives will not make the ethanol disappear, just prolong the eventual misery. 

Baileys has a very simple tester for detecting ethanol.  Tiny Tester
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawmillhand

QuoteAnd how does anyone know that these additives do anything to offset the water ?? Really don't.

About the only way to know is if you was a chemist :D   Like you said you have to go with what looks best on TV to you .

Andy White

Chuck

Down here in Texas, there is no ethanol free fuel at any octane rating! The refiners ship it
to the distributors, and they add it before sending it to the stations! We need to loose
the middleman!          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

grweldon

There IS a way you can tell if there is ethanol in your gas.  Take a small, clear glass jar.  Put a bit of water in it, say an ounce or so.  Mark the level of the water on the outside of the jar.  Add in some of the gas in question, about an 8:1 ratio, so add a cup of gas.  Shake it up well for about a minute and let is stand overnight.  In the morning, if you can clearly see the water line at where you marked it before adding gas, your gasoline is ethanol free.  If the level of the water is high than the mark, there was ethanol in the gas that is now bonded with the water.  I learned this trick years ago.  I don't put ethanol in my ultralight aircraft engine...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

barbender

That's a slick diy test, grweldon  ;)  You can buy premium up here, 90 or 91 octane, that is ethanol free at many stations. This is probably due to the high number of 2-stroke outboards and snowmobiles we have. I only run non ethanol in my 2 stroke engines, and any small engine I care about. If it is a Briggs and Stratton, I use old gas that I siphon out of old cars so that they have an excuse for all the problems they give me. Did I mention hate Briggs engines :D
Too many irons in the fire

Larry

There is only a couple of places to get ethanol free gas here.  All too far away.

The car gets 87 octane with no additives.  85,000 miles and runs perfect.  The car before it got the same diet and ran perfect for 150,000 miles before selling it.  Same gas for the sawmill and lawnmower.  The sawmill and lawnmower are used at least once a week.  Gas drained from the lawnmower in winter.

The chainsaws get Husky black bottle which has a fuel stabilizer.  The outboard motors and generator get a heavy dose of Stabil Marine formula.  The local outboard motor wrench says no matter what you do start the engine and let it run for 10 minutes once a month.  I didn't use to do this with the generator and had to take it in for a carb job three times.  Finally learned and now start it on the first of every month.  Four years doing this and it starts/runs perfect.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawmillhand

I do the same thing i crank everything as soon as i get home from offshore. I might not always need everything but when i do i make sure it runs. :D

Delawhere Jack

This site lists sources for ethanol free gas. http://pure-gas.org/

If there are any marina nearby they may have it, or airports, but expect to pay a big premium for Av-gas.

Andy White

Chuck

Just checked link pur-fuel, and a station six miles of my house says 87, 89, and 93 octane fuel with no ethanol. the report was dated in June so it must have just become available. Will be filling up car, truck and all gas cans Sunday and will continue to do so until no longer available...........Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

bandmiller2

I don't like ethanol fuel but have little choice.I've not had any problems with it, newer equipment is designed to use it and my old two cylinder Deeres don't seem to care.Big thing is to keep it freash and add a little marine stabl.Its tough living in a goody goody liberal state. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

I run non-ethanol fuel in all my power equipment and boat. I've noticed a significant difference in the way everything runs on non-ethanol. I pay around $.15 per gallon more than regular E10.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

barbender

I don't worry about the low ethanol mix in autos, gas in our vehicles has a way of not getting stale ::) I don't use ethanol gas in the 2 stroke engines because I worry about the premix getting broke down, and my 4 stroke power equipment sits enough I don't want the eater issues to deal with.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I run the highest grade I can get at the gas stations. I just feel the small engines need it.My gas does not sit around long,and that is 5 gallons at a time. I do not use any additive in my straight gas. I know the oil mix has something for additive.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RickV

Our state government in their infinite wisdom decided that we must have 10% ethanol in all grades of our gas. Go figure. >:(

Wallys World

A couple of years ago I didn't run my Vermeer chipper for around two months. I couldn't get it started. Looked like some one had packed Vasiline in the carb. I run nothing but 91 non ethenol now in all my equipment.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Wallys World

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

plaindriver

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on June 21, 2013, 05:29:02 PM

If there are any marina nearby they may have it, or airports, but expect to pay a big premium for Av-gas.

Re the av-gas- -it has a distinct odor (not at all unpleasant either) and is blue in color. It is leaded and 100 octane, so beware. Because of the lead content, Ive heard it can damage valves on modern engines. Also, most airports anymore, with all the post 9-11 security measures, it will be tuff for a non-pilot or airport regular to even gain access to the pumps.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

hamish

Ethanol is in most fuels in my area, and in all reality as an OPE tech, if the engine gets regular usage one will not have any issues.  Let it sit for months/years on end your gonna have problems.  Just like we did with non-ethanol blended fuels.  Just the problems are different in nature.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Andy White

Chuck
I went to the station that showed on Pur-Gas link, and it was true! Filled up truck, and four 5 gallon cans. The man said he lost his franchise with EX>>>>> and would be using the independant distributor for all his fuel, so maybe I can get all my small engines lined out with real fuel. 3.28 per Gallon.                             Andy

calw1izl

Hi Folks,
I added a post under the general board last week, I believe under the "What are you paying for gas in your area" about separating the ethanol from this crap we have for gas up here. It is a very quick, clean and easy deal and does away with the problems of the damage to the rubber material as well as corrosion to the aluminum/pot metal castings used on some of the engines we all use. I would re edit the info here but figured anyone interested can either look up that post of drop me an Email for any info on the required things to make this happen.  The toughest part is coming up with a suitable tank/vessel to use and I went back to my chemical application days and use a chemical inductor tank.  Anyway, many folks besides myself have no easy access to a "local" marina and or airport to get anything without ethanol. 

Cal
Cal  W1IZL
Cook Saw HD3238, Case 584CK, Cats Claw Sharpener, Setter, way too many misc woodworking tools and equipment

GeorgeK

You are lucky all our gas has ethanol.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Thank You Sponsors!