iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying wood

Started by Kindlinmaker, October 01, 2016, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindlinmaker

I purchased a couple loads of rather old logs from a land clearer/tree service in western Connecticut.  Figure I will saw what I can and the rest can go on the firewood pile.  There are 6 or so logs with this wood in one of the loads.  Wood is lighter in weight than normal ash, maple or oak we generally get around here.  Several logs have a rather severe sweep toward the end.  Sawing produces "strings" on the board edges even with a new blade.  Any help in identifying would certainly be appreciated.  I figure he might have thrown in a clump of mature weeping willow but I am not familiar enough with the wood to identify it.  Logs are all 12"- 22"in diameter.  Thanks for the help.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Kindlinmaker

Having trouble posting the pictures.  Will try again.....

WDH

First pic looks like ash.  Second pic looks like white pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That second one.white pine? I sure don't want to question you,but,looks more like hemlock.
Have to send a flag out to  @Peter Drouin
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Wouldn't argue with the hemlock.  The second pic is definitely a softwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kindlinmaker

Thanks for responding.  Both boards are from the same log; Sap wood and heart wood.  The log is another that appears to be the same. Could certainly be hemlock in this area.  It appears to have been a dead tree that they cut as these logs are definitely older than the rest of the load.  No decay or staining which surprised me.  And the lumber has a definite unpleasant odor; in fact it stinks pretty badly compared to other wood.  I don't normally cut soft woods so I am at a total loss when I run into the occasional one.

newoodguy78

I would dare say that you sawed some ash. I have sawed ash and have seen the same feathers on the edge of the board you speak of.

Thank You Sponsors!