iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire Season has started in S.C.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 20, 2014, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

S.C. had 80 plus separate Wildfires burning today.
My new CAT was called to a 4 acre fire where a homeowner had set 3 Pizza boxes on fire in a FULL barrel.
The high winds blew the boxes  into the tall grass and with the low humidity plus wind speed it spread.
The fire burned their shed down where furniture, sporting equipment and lawn equipment was stored.
The fire quickly spread to another property burning a farmers old cedar fence posts down.

How did the new CAT do.......I hit a DanG swamp, covered by dead leaves, smoke so thick, ya couldn't see squat and down it went.  :D I've not stuck a dozer in 16 years.
My time was over......had to get a John Deere dozer to pull it out. What a day.

While waiting on the JD......member "RED" text me from N.Y. I sent him a pic showing what I was in the middle of. He enjoyed it.  :)

Tomorrow.....low humidity......30 mph winds and dry forest fuels.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A swamp on the side of a hill  smiley_headscratch
You have funny swamps down there  :D
did the fire starter get a find $$$
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

curdog

Things were definitely active today, the humidity dropped lower than forecasted and the wind was higher.  This is the the weather that worries me every year. Dry enough to burn on top, but wet enough for brush trucks to get stuck in the fields. I preach staying in the black, but seems there are close calls every year in field fires. But it's good to breathe smoke again. Y'all stay safe to the south of us.

Paul_H

David,
at least you didn't throw a track and on the bright side it sure is easier to step on and off sitting in the mud like that  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 20, 2014, 06:35:01 PM

did the fire starter get a find $$$

The home owner was charged by the County Sheriff's Dept. with burning house hold garbage.
He was also charged by the State Forest Service for burning with out an authorization number and burning lands of another.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Paul_H on January 20, 2014, 06:38:37 PM
David,
at least you didn't throw a track and on the bright side it sure is easier to step on and off sitting in the mud like that  ;)

OMG Paul.......don't EVEN talk about throwing a track. Been there done that and sounds like you have too.  :D

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

clww

That's awful about all the fires already.
It's REALLY awful that you had to get a JD to rescue your CAT! ::)
The company I work for now is ALL Cat equipment, except for the dump trucks and semi's.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

POSTON,I'm not going to give you the dickens for getting that thing stuck,buried,mired.  ;D  But will give you the dickens for no FF hat.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

POSTON, your gonna get your RedCard pulled and a mud card issued  :)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Alcranb on January 20, 2014, 07:14:04 PM
POSTON, your gonna get your RedCard pulled and a mud card issued  :)

Ain't that the truth!  :D :D :D

Ken

Oops  Don't you just hate the moment in time when you realize that you are not getting out by yourself. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ken on January 20, 2014, 08:05:35 PM
Oops  Don't you just hate the moment in time when you realize that you are not getting out by yourself.

Yep....and the more you try....the deeper you get.  :D :D :D
Sorta like lying to the wife about where you been.  ;D

SwampDonkey

I'd say he got found and fined alright. :D

Poston, I thought you could drive a dozer. How in tarnation did you get stuck in the dry hot south? ;D

I got that sinking feeling....whoa..whoa..whoa  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

What with this place with dozers and fires .. ;D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 20, 2014, 08:20:45 PM
I'd say he got found and fined alright. :D

Poston, I thought you could drive a dozer. How in tarnation did you get stuck in the dry hot south? ;D
Swamp, Swamps are a swamp, Swamp.  :)

scsmith42

David, I feel your pain.... It's been a long time since I've gotten my D8 stuck.  I was never brave enough to take pictures either!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Burning again Wednesday. 

(Note to Self:  Don't have David plow out your fire lines  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 20, 2014, 09:48:21 PM
Burning again Wednesday. 

(Note to Self:  Don't have David plow out your fire lines  :)

Since you're in the song posting mood tonight.....how about "Stuck in the middle with you".   :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ST Ranch

Poston - I am amazed you are able to get around doing fire line contruction without a winch on your cat - I recognize that a traditional direct drive winch would probably interfere with the v-plow/trencher you have on back, but have you considered a higher [to one side] mounted hydrallic winch to assist when you get in a tough spot? Around my parts, we rarely use/hire a crawler without a winch for fireline work unless they work in pairs.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a STATE dozer.....everything on it comes from the lowest bidder.  :D
We do have a winch on 1 dozer in each county. We didn't need a winch this time, thank goodness......but I'll try again tomorrow.  :D

Happy Birthday Tom!

SwampDonkey

Yeah, maybe you'll get stuck deeper this time. :D

I had a guy doing some plantation prep work and lost a D8 in a hole. Had to have an excavator fish him out.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red

what was the reading on the Depth Finder ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bill Gaiche

That last photo pretty much sums it up. At least the tax payer won't have to pay for a burned dozer. bg

Thank You Sponsors!