iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video of my slabber.

Started by GearDrive, October 15, 2018, 09:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GearDrive

Home built hanging track system for the Alaskan Mill.

Stihl 084 60" bar. 53" maximum width.

Easy to disassemble and move. Can add tracks to make longer cuts.

Milling walnut slabs. - YouTube

Chain was getting a little dull.

Cutting Edge

GearDrive,

Thats a darn nice setup !!  Surprisingly stable too.  thumbs-up

Bout the only improvement I would suggest is a simple winch feed to help pull it evenly through the log.  It would save alot of energy vs. trying to push from only the power head side.  Makes for even smoother cuts too.

Nice Walnut Also  !  ;D

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

GearDrive

Thanks. I will look into the winch setup.

mike_belben

That is a beautiful pairing of garage door track and ballscrews!  

I second the winch, your core muscles will love the load it takes off of them.  But i suggest that the cord (paracord works great, kinda stretchy for constant loading) be on the far side of the mill, to act as a partner and balance out the push that you are applying to the powerhead.

2 bearings, a shaft with a handle on one end and a hole through the other will work fine.  just thread the cord through the hole and knot it, then tie off on the end of the frame.
Praise The Lord

Hilltop366

Nicely done!

I'll third the winch idea and raise you a remote throttle so you can stand up while sawing, it may require to be height adjustable to make it a comfortable height when starting on taller logs.

I notice that when you get near the centre section of the track that the track will sway side to side a bit. Could try to cross brace the track together perhaps try some different configurations with wood and clamps to get a ideal layout.

Galvanized electrical conduit might make a good source for brace material?

Thanks for the video.

mike_belben

Welding in some triangulated EMT would stiffen that right up with almost no weight penalty.  

I need to make a hand throttle for my chainsaw track cutter, its terrible for the spine.
Praise The Lord

Wintergreen Mountain

NIECE Build. I like it.    Are the frame sections sliding door tracks?
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

GearDrive

Yes, they are barn door tracks. The mill is hanging on the trolleys.

Downstream

Very nice set-up.  I have been watching videos of Lucas mills lately and yours looks fairly close to the slabber in basic function.  Nice job.  One of these days I'm going to have to break out my Alaskan mill and make some slabs.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

GearDrive

A countertable I made with one of the slabs.

redbeard

Nice job, 
You could set up a counter weight too help with feed rate, maybe pull from the center of Saw head carriage.
Lube bottle dripping on bar tip helps cooling and rids build up 
Old hydraulic n Diesel fluid works good.
Good job on your design!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

D6c

Nice build.... I'm wondering if something like that could work for milling slabs flat after drying.  Instead the chainsaw, mount a carrier for a router that would travel lengthwise and step over to mill a flat surface.

mike_belben

Yes, its called a flying gantry.  Basically how most cnc routers, plasmas, lazers and waterjets are set up.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!