iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk Hunt 2013

Started by Magicman, March 09, 2013, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We will be camping and DIY.  We will get there about a week early to acclimate ourselves and scout at bit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Hope your area doesn't get burned. Seems a lot of hot ones going now, especially in CO.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/index.php
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Remember, I was worried about the fires last year? I'm worried about your area this time, too. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

I don't hunt anymore or know any of the rules, but I know that my boss and co-workers are all upset that out of 6 guys only one of them drew a bull elk tag this year. I think they usually all draw, I'm not sure. It does seem like we've had less guided hunts on the ranch since I started.
Usually the bosses son gets an elk and a couple deer for me and am thinking about going along this year, I just have to figure out what shiny new accessory he needs for his truck for the tolerance fee ;D

Allan

rooster 58

50 more days until I fly to New Mexico to hunt elk. I can hardly wait   ::)

pappy19

New Mexico hunters listen up. Read this report. When they talk about Las Vegas, they are talking LV, New Mexico, not NV.

http://www.krqe.com/news/local/elk-herd-found-dead-in-northeastern-nm?hpt=us_bn10#.Uh9VxNPPhF4.facebook
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

It is always sad to watch nature take it's course.

Our countdown is underway.  Items such as personal fitness and getting my boot problem corrected.  I am back with my "tried and true" Danner Pronghorn boots.  No more jammed toes.

That plus my whiskers are growing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Time is slipping by.  Marty and I leave next Monday which is only 6 days !!   :o

thecfarm

I hope you do as well as Haley did.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

I leave on the 17th for New Mexico 8)   I hope I finally meet up with Mr. bull elk ;)

Magicman

I brought the trailer home yesterday and loaded the truck camper on the F250 today.  We are getting ready.   ;D

pappy19

Do you all eat the liver and heart the night of or just after the kill? Elk liver and heart is the best. Salt,pepper, flour and cook in butter or do the bacon, onions and liver thing, either way, it's great. Make sure you cut off the gall bladder bag without getting it on the liver. Soak the heart in some cold salt water, then slice across with about 1/4-1/2 inch slices, flour and fry. Don't over cook, you want it to be medium. When you get the carcass butchered, have them add 20% of beef fat to the burger. It's great for everything. Be careful out there!!

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

sandhills

Best of luck to you guys and safe travels!  Can't wait to see the pictures.

beenthere

I agree with Pappy on the great taste of elk liver. Heart too, but the liver is best. Compared to other liver, elk best, then venison, and then a ways down the list is beef, and last pig. Chicken livers real good, but on a different list of 'food' groups.  :)

And not over-cooking liver is a must. Hate to say that my Mom cooked everything out of the liver leaving only a shoe-leather type product on the plate. But the onions were good... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

We loaded out today.  Everything but groceries.  Pat is pre-preparing (how bout that word?) our entrees.  Pork tenderloin, brisket, chicken tenders, & hamburger steak.  All with gravy and frozen in two person servings.  All that we need to do is microwave them and add our starch and veg.  Top it off with peaches or pears with her oatmeal cookies and we have our evening meal.  Oh, and she also made a pot of hambone soup.  We will eat well.   food3

thecfarm

The eating part sounds good.   digin_2   The wife freezes up 2,well as she says Ray eats for 2,so it's really 3 people serving.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Here is one of last year's meals.

Brisket over rice with peas topped off with peaches.   digin1

WDH

Looks like that you will be roughing it   :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 05, 2013, 08:45:47 PM
We loaded out today.  Everything but groceries.  Pat is pre-preparing (how bout that word?) our entrees.  Pork tenderloin, brisket, chicken tenders, & hamburger steak.  All with gravy and frozen in two person servings.  All that we need to do is microwave them and add our starch and veg.  Top it off with peaches or pears with her oatmeal cookies and we have our evening meal.  Oh, and she also made a pot of hambone soup.  We will eat well.   food3

Did you really have to tell us all this? You a dog.  :D :D :D :D
This is better than I eat at home.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on October 05, 2013, 10:08:42 PM
Looks like that you will be roughing it   :D.
Not when it comes to food.  But when we "spike camp", it is quite different because it will then be freeze dried foods.   :o

No shame from me David.   :D

Paul_H

I used to hunt a lot with my dad and his brother but there was always grouse or fish to eat for dinner until we got a Moose or Elk.We brought flour,salt,pepper etc and would add a few grouse a day and was it ever good along biscuits in a dutch oven over the fire.Moose liver and heart came later.
The one meat we did bring with us from home was bacon and the fat saved was useful too.
We took a river boat 50 miles up the Muskwa in the '77 and stayed 8 days camped alongside the river in a tent.I got a moose and a Wolverine that year.The wolverine was following our trail toward us as we were making another trip back to retrieve the rest of the moose.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Magicman

I'll talk to you guys in a couple of weeks.    move_it

justallan1

Good luck and be safe.

Allan

thecfarm

Maybe Magicman will put on an Elk Roast.   :D

Rancher

MM and son just left here headed home and I guess I will be the spoiler...with a bull elk in tow. I will let him post all the adventure. They left with grins on their faces and a couple bags of cookies from my wife for their trip home.

Dave
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Thank You Sponsors!