iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk Hunt 2013

Started by Magicman, March 09, 2013, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are travelling with great and happy thoughts and experience.
Hunts are great even when not successful bagging one, but much, much greater when meat comes home with you.
Now, how have the other hunts been this year for you? You are at the epitome of the elk hunts, along with a lot of work, and get to enjoy all the experiences.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pappy19

Elk roast is ok, but chicken fried elk steak is the best of the best.

Pappy's Chicken Fried Steak

Use 2 lbs. of  good grade inside round steak, deer, elk or beef (or better), about ½ inch thick. Trim off gristle and fat.  Cut into pieces about 5-6 inches in diameter. Pound thoroughly on both sides with a butcher knife until almost falling apart. Mix seasoned salt in with flour and then flour each piece thoroughly and shake off the excess. Dip in batter (below), shake off excess and dip in seasoned flour again.  Use a deep fryer or a good cast iron dutch oven/skillet with a good brand of vegetable or peanut oil.  Heat oil to about 325', turn once, and cook until golden brown.

Batter:

3 Tbls. sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 whole egg
1 Tbls. baking powder
2 cups milk

2 Cups all purpose flour for dredging and dusting
1 Tbls seasoned salt or Tony's

Mix the first 4 ingredients with ½ of the milk and stir until smooth. Add the remainder of the milk and mix well.
Gravy:
1 stick butter
6 cups milk
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Melt butter completely. Add milk and mix thoroughly.  Bring to a boil. Shake flour and oil in a jar and pour into heated milk.  Stir until smooth and thickened.  Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste.
Biscuits :
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
5 Tbls. butter
Enough milk for a stiff batter
1 egg
Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in butter with a fork. Add milk and mix. Knead dough, and cut into biscuits. Dip into melted butter on both sides and place on baking sheet or cast iron skillet. Bake at 425' for 12-15 minutes. High altitude will require a little more flour.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

kderby

The suspense is killing me! 

Elk hunting is quite the experience.  I did not grow up with elk.  Now I live in a place where the elk are neighbors.  The elk population is good in Oregon.  Plenty of hunters and hunting pressure but I get a tag usually every other year (cow elk) for meat.  Much better odds to hunt cow elk.

Wife will harvest her deer this weekend.  Elk season is coming up and we both have tags!  Kaboom! 8)

Lynne, congratulations On the harvest and recreation event!  Get home safely and post pictures for us! I know you will.

Kderby

WH_Conley

I think I will give my Dr this recipe the next time I see him so he can have the stroke instead of me. :D
Bill

Magicman

:-\  I had the whole thing written with the pictures and accidentally touched the wrong key and lost the whole thing.   :-\   Over an hour and now I have to start all over.  Made me sick.  I guess that I should have made several posts. :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Our trip to Colorado included a traditional stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo for a steak.

Prime Rib and fixins.

Our first stop in Colorado was a visit with FF member "Rancher".  We parked and spent the night there before setting up our camp near the Pike National Forest the next day.

We unloaded the truck camper and placed skirting around the bottom.

The green tent is our privy, and the Honda EU2000 provided power to charge the battery in the morning as we ate breakfast and in the evening before bedtime.  It was also nice to be able to use the microwave.   :)

Speaking of food, we did very well in that department.  Pat had frozen our entrees and we only had to fix the fixins.

Our mornings began with cereal & milk, a boiled egg with bacon and coffee.  (my camera lens fogged up)

We each made two flatbread sandwiches for our lunches.  We used the skinny bread because it does not mash flat in our day packs.

We ate one ~10:00AM and other ~2:00PM.  Between this we had the normal candy and trail bars.

Our evening meals worked very nicely.

Pork loin medallions, skillet fried potatoes, peas..

Hamburger steak, mashed potatoes and a veggie. 

Brisket and gravy over rice with corn.  Each night we had canned sliced fruit and Pecan oatmeal cookies.

I forgot twice to take a picture of the hambone/vegetable soup.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

I know the frustration of typing something up and then losing it.  >:(

You guys sure don't scrimp on the chow. I'm saving those meals to my tablet. I'll be in charge of the cooking this year at deer camp and I have the hardest time coming up with ideas. ;)   Maybe I will smoke a brisket too. Thanks for taking the time on the redo.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

We saw so much of nature's artwork with the fallen trees and roots.

I sawed a few of them off for Pat.  I am sure that she will decorate with them.   :)

But I left the buzzard in the tree.   ;D

They had a way to keep the tree from growing around the wire, but they nailed the uprights to the tree with spikes.   :-\

We got up at 4:00 each morning.  Here we are on the mountain top before the sun came up behind me.

Taking a break in some beautiful country.

This "dark timber" is where we found most of the elk.

This ole man carried a hiking stick in my right hand and a Stoney Point "Pole Cat" shooting stick in my left.  (just in case he needed a rest to shoot)

We found this up high.  They can carry it in full, but not carry their empties out.   :-\

This little Spruce tree needed it's picture taken.

Our truck is waaay down there.   :o

Sammich time.   food6

There was much logging taking place.  These logs will be left for individual Fuelwood Permit holders for firewood.  The pile of tops and limbs will be ground into mulch and sold to companies like "Miracle Gro" to be processed and sold as soil supplements.

The timber crew boss told me that this machine cost $750,000, had a 1050 HP engine, used 600 gallons of Diesel each day, and made $1.00 per second when it was operating.   :o

(Because of what happened previously, I am posting as I go this time.)

Magicman

We did some driving and scouting Thursday and Friday before the season opened Saturday.  During that time, we saw elk morning and evening and had located 8 hunt-able bulls.  Two were very large "herd" bulls with cows and we absolutely did not disturb any of them.  That was then and now was now.  We hunted three days without seeing a hair.  Everything could be summed up with one word, WIND.  The prevailing wind was from the West and Southwest.  The instant it stopped, the updraft was from the East.  Too many times everything was going well and then the wind would hit us in the back of the neck.  We found so many places where animals had skidded to a stop and reversed directions.  We finally got down to Wednesday, the very last day of the season.

About 7:30 AM, we cut the tracks of a herd traveling into the wind that also showed bull tracks.  Marty asked me if I thought that it was doable.  Since we knew that we really had little option, we started out.  Two hours later we had really slowed down because we felt that something was gonna happen, and happen it did.  Three cows had bedded facing their backtrack and blew out.  Now, what to do?  We sat down, ate a sandwich, and rested.  Marty got up to stretch and was facing several cow elk and 3 bulls at 50 yards.  He grabbed his rifle, they spooked, and the race was on but elk win that kind of race every time.  This commotion spooked a nearby huge herdbull and several cows and away they went.  Marty was dejected, but I told him that the "fat lady" still had not sung.  I was just being hopeful.

Since we were now over two miles from the truck we decided to hunt our way out.  Of course I was following Marty, and I always look the opposite way that he is looking.  That way we are both scanning and one may see something that the other may miss.  To our left about 150 yards away I spotted yellow.  The binocular came up and I immediately saw antlers.  I said "bull", Marty dropped to one knee, and a bullet was on the way.  I knew that the shot was good and as the bull jumped and stopped, he made another shot.  I saw him go down.  When we got to him, a quick follow up shot ended it all.

A 4X4 bull elk was now tagged.  We had seen three others much larger, but any elk is a good elk, especially when you get him the hard way.  We were 1.15 miles from the truck, and he would have to come out on our backs.

No saw is needed to separate joints when you cut in the right place.  This is a hind quarter. (notice the John Neeman knife)

Here the shoulder "elbow" is separated.

All of the quarters, loins, tenders, and neck meat is bagged and ready for pack out.  We used the "gutless" method where the animal is not gutted.  Everything is just removed piece at the time.  The bagged meat is laid across poles to cool.  Black pepper will discourage bears.

The first trip out.  Marty would carry a hind quarter and loin, and I would carry a shoulder.

We did the same on the second trip which took care of the meat.

Marty then carried the head out on the third trip.  (orange flagging was placed after the picture was taken)

Finally everything is in the truck.   :)

A Colorado sunrise as we were packing up to leave the next morning.

Neither Marty nor I knew what color shirts that the other had packed to wear home.

Two happy men back home safely.  Two good friends.  Two good buddies.  Marty is a good Son.

It was a Red Shirt Day.

hardtailjohn

Awesome story MM!!  I admire you and your son's relationship!  Thanks for sharing!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Peter Drouin

Good job you two did  8) 8). how lb of meat went home ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

If I remember right, I believe that the dressed weight is about 40%, so that puts it at about 200-250 lbs.

Bill Gaiche

Great hunt,great story with great photos as usual. Glad you had a wonderful trip. Now back to making sawdust with all the memories of yesterdays hunt with the anticipation of next years opening season. bg

thecfarm

I know I will be back to read this post again.  :)  You are both are lucky to have each other.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Great narrative. :)
Great pictures! :)
Great hunting partner! :)
Thanks for sharing this year's adventure with us all, Lynn. 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I wood have loved to have gone just for the food and to see the old blow downs. A great time indeed.
Thanks for the pics Magic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rancher

It truly was nice to have met you guys and it was our pleasure to extend a little western hospitality. Seeing the smiles on your faces was icing on the cake. Nice photos to enhance your good memories.

Dave
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

kderby

Hooray for the fine bull. 

When the elk gods offer you a shot then you take it!  I had a friend tell me that once. I had seen a small bull while hunting with him.  I was not hunting but I learned that lesson.  Elk success ratios vary but if only one in thirteen hunters gets an elk, that means one lucky hunter gets a shot and the rest go hungry.

Again, Congrats and thanks for sharing the adventure! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 

terry f

Kderby, I think your numbers are right, but I believe 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters. After Magicmans success the last two years, they may be becoming part of that 10%. Heard some elk today and had to check them out, but didn't see any horns. My place is in one of the top trophy units in the west, so seeing big bulls isn't uncommon.

Magicman

The success ratio hunting public land on your on is about 10%, and as terry f pointed out, that ratio is not spread evenly across the hunter population.

Our success required some hard hunting which meant getting really back into the deep timber and away from roads.  We were also hunting very restricted hunting units.  I had 16 years of applications behind me last year and Marty had 10 this year.  This meant that there were very few hunters in either unit.  We never saw a single other hunter this year.

The "over the counter" units are wrapped up with hunters, and you will see "orange" and ATV's.  The success ratio in those units is probably 2%-3%.   :-\

Due to my age, I could never expect to draw either unit again in my lifetime.  Marty has a chance to draw his again, but it will take many years.

Sadly, without an opportunity to secure a "landowners" tag, this could possible have been my last hunt.   :'(

Ron Scott

Well done! Great documentation of the successful hunt.
~Ron

Ken

Thanks so much for the pictures and story.  It is obvious that you and your son take hunting very serious and reap the benefits bestowed on those who put in the effort.  Congrats.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

drobertson

Very enjoyable read, real happy for the two of you, and it looks like your big toe made it through with no major issues?     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I learned my "toe" lesson last year.  Remember to trim your toenails very short before heading out.  That way, even while going down steep slopes with thicker than normal socks, your toes will not be jammed.    ;D

Thank You Sponsors!