iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Loading Arch out of timbers.

Started by firefighter ontheside, July 18, 2018, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I'll check out the DanG.

Crusarius, I wouldn't load that 24' log in that 5x8 trailer.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

yea, definitely not. planning on 3 pieces.

WV Sawmiller

Cru,

I have a 5X8 trailer and have loaded 8-10 ft logs like you describe by hooking a cable around one end of the log, hook a snatch block to the front of the trailer in a secure spot, run the cable through the block and secure the other end to a tree or stump (a heavy piece of equipment would work if that is all that is handy) behind the logs, leave the tailgate down and slowly drive forward and the logs will slide right in to the trailer. Be sure to stop as soon it reaches the end of the trailer or you will bend something (Don't ask me how I know that). If you have a helper he can help roll the log from side to side to make sure it doesn't hang on the lip of the trailer and make sure you don't try to pull too far.

Cutting off and using a straight limb or two for rollers will help too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

That is exactly how I did it on the last log I loaded. it was actually easier because it was the 2nd layer on the trailer. Wood slides better on wood than on the angle iron edge

elite64a

Quote from: Crusarius on August 02, 2018, 07:45:48 AM
are you just grabbing the log on the frame then using the winch to pull the frame?

Doesn't the frame slam to the bed like that?
You would think so but the weight of the log you're pulling keeps the arch from slamming into the trailers floor.

firefighter ontheside

Right.  I never want to lift the whole log, just one end.  Though even the smaller diameter logs will fall down from the weight of the A frame.  On the small logs I will lower the log to the bed with the chain hoist and slide the log directly with the winch.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mad murdock

That right there is an awesome build and great proof of concept! Thanks for sharing. I feel my days of handyman jacking and wrestling by hand may be soon coming to a close. The other day I loaded 1110 bd ft in 2 redwood logs a 16' and a 20'. That was a lot of work for one guy. An arch like yours would have made it a cakewalk!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bobborneman

How did you attach the legs to the tralier?

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Murdock.  I plan to load a couple 20 foot logs soon, one of them being 24" diameter.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The A frame is attached to the trailer with 4x4s that I notched to fit into stake pockets.  A 7/8" bolt is the hinge pin.  I will eventually be fabricating a steel piece to take the place of the wood in the stake pocket.  I feel that piece is my weak link.  For now it is working fine.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

burtle

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 12, 2018, 11:11:16 PM
Thanks Murdock.  I plan to load a couple 20 foot logs soon, one of them being 24" diameter.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The A frame is attached to the trailer with 4x4s that I notched to fit into stake pockets.  A 7/8" bolt is the hinge pin.  I will eventually be fabricating a steel piece to take the place of the wood in the stake pocket.  I feel that piece is my weak link.  For now it is working fine.

When you get some time will you post close pictures of how you attached it to the trailer please ?

Thanks
Never Give Up

firefighter ontheside

I made these out of some pieces of 6x6 that I had so that they would fit tight in the stake pocket.  I am going to replace with some sort of steel piece in the future.  The steel piece will be very similar, but I won't leave all the extra thickness above the pocket.  My bolts are kind of short as it is.  There is a 7/8 bolt as the hinge pin going thru the leg.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Here's a photo sequence of DanG's log lifter in use. You can also see the check chains he uses to keep the arch from flopping too far down out of the trailer. There are some helpful other comments elsewhere in this same thread. Somewhere here on FF I saw a photo of someone who had put the hinge of the arch a foot or so forward of the back of the trailer, and used check chains attached to the rear of the trailer to keep the arch from flopping all the way down into the trailer (unfortunately, I can't find that now).

Here is another thread with info on a log lifter made by @getoverit using design ideas from @DanG and @Fla._Deadheader .  If you scroll down a bit, you can see details of his hinge design, which drops into stake pockets on the rear edge of his trailer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

firefighter ontheside

Thanks John.  I've already planned to use chains hooked to the farthest back stake pockets.  I put my loader on the second set from the back.  I will check out the video.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
Thanks John.  I've already planned to use chains hooked to the farthest back stake pockets.  I put my loader on the second set from the back.  I will check out the video.
I never did find the video, just some photos. Let me know if you come across it. If you don't find one, please consider posting one of yours in action. I've tried to describe this to some folks I cut firewood with, and my description leaves a bit to be desired.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

burtle

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 07:59:30 AM
I made these out of some pieces of 6x6 that I had so that they would fit tight in the stake pocket.  I am going to replace with some sort of steel piece in the future.  The steel piece will be very similar, but I won't leave all the extra thickness above the pocket.  My bolts are kind of short as it is.  There is a 7/8 bolt as the hinge pin going thru the leg.  

Thanks a lot!

I'll probably end up sending you a message for more information

I'm having some red elm milled soon.

I'm leaning towards having (2) 5x5's milled out of one of the logs to build this arch.

A local welding shop wants over 300.00 to weld an arch.

This route would be MUCH cheaper.
Never Give Up

firefighter ontheside

I made a short video, but unfortunately it has my license plate number in it and I don't think I should post that.  Next time I do it I'll make a better video.

I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, Burtle.  I was the same as you.  I didn't want to pay a bunch of money for steel.  I have a firefighter that works for me who is a very good welder and so I wouldn't have had to,pay for that, but still.  The timbers were free.  I paid 150 for the winch and a few bucks for some bolts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 09:01:05 PMI made a short video, but unfortunately it has my license plate number in it and I don't think I should post that. Next time I do it I'll make a better video.

I've always wondered what the big deal is about showing a license pate in a photo or video. What is someone going to do with that info anyway? It's not like it's your SS# or something. If it were a significant risk, it would also be a risk just driving around where someone could see it in real life. Am I missing something?

firefighter ontheside

It's not a big deal.  As you say we drive around with it.  As I now remember, I did post the video in this thread many posts back.  Most of us also don't use our whole name on this site.  Why not?  Presumably we feel there is some risk of security to do so.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Didn't mean to come across as jumping on you about it. It's something I've often wondered about. It's one thing if the video was showing something that might expose the owner to attacks or ridicule, but most of the time, that's not the case.

Some of our area elementary schools have discouraged putting kids names on their sports uniforms. While I think that's not likely to have any measurable effect in deterring child predators, I can at least understand the thought process behind it. The license plate thing, not so much.

firefighter ontheside

I knew you didn't.  It's all good.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on August 02, 2018, 11:26:58 AM
ok here is an idea that may be hard to explain. Put a set of legs off the back side of the frame. but instead of making them rigid to the frame connect them using something that acts like a hinge. then get a pair of gas charged shocks to connect to the frame and the end of the leg. Cheapest Monroe ones you can get. then as it cams over the leg will make contact with the trailer then start to compress the shock and slow the fall. The leg setup should look like a triangle when your done.

wammo. Fix to camming over and slamming the deck. Just make sure if you want to lay it down flat again you have some type of quick release. Or you need to figure the geometry out to make it lay flat.

and when you figure it out I want pics and measurements :) save me the time of engineering it. :)

After thought, you may need more than 1 shock but I would start with 1 per side.
iv been looking at find a way to prevent my arch from going so far back and not being able to get it back vertical. I initially was going to use cable and secure it to the trailer and arch in both directions so it would only go about 25 degrees either direction beyond vertical. But i like your idea of the shocks and a hinged strut. you sir have given me an outstanding starting point. 

it wasn't bad when i first built it, i could pick it up from the trailer deck, clinch it above my head, walk to a side and keep pushing till it snatched against the winch cable. after i made my first lift on a 3500# oak log, it got a lil stiff, so the wife had to help walk it up, but i noticed it took on a different shape after making my test lifts, and even left the log suspended about 3" off my trailer deck, 1. to check the brake on the winch and 2. to test the integrity of the welds. i would much rather it brake at home, than in the woods, many hours away from my house I took some 1/2" x 6" wide flat plate and samiched the tubing between 1" of steel and burned the rods to it. i had to do a lil heat torsion treatment to get to move after reinforcing it.

my sec lift was when i went to get a 60+" pecan log and branch section. i had to much rope on my drum and the 12k winch wouldn't pull the 9' log, and i snatched it and dragged it close enough for my arch to be able to grab hold. i went back to single line, and again, winch said NO, so snatched it again, and i thought my arch was gonna bust welds. after getting it both the log and branch section loaded, i noticed that the 10,000# WLL weld on D-ring looked more like and arrow point, not a loop. i just welded a 15,000#WLL ring on, and didn't have anymore stretching. i have an 18,000# warn industrial winch that got reallocated off an MRAP from iraq that got destroyed and the winch was in the junk pile. i sent it home johnny cash style, 1 piece at a time, only bc it was to heavy (150# with rope and fairleads) to ship completed, and i didn't want to stick it in a conex and see it about 4 months later. I think I'm going to install it on my gooseneck with arch, and put that 12k on my 12k bumper pull. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

charles mann

what do you think its rated lift capability is? iv had probably 6000# on mine, which is all steel, 2"x2" x 1/4" wall, around 12' tall/long and boy does it squeal like a pig with a dog on its ear lifting that much weight. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Stuart Caruk

I admire the creativity of people who can cobble together what they need to get the job at hand completed. Awesome job!
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Crusarius

Quote from: charles mann on August 22, 2018, 01:50:53 AMiv been looking at find a way to prevent my arch from going so far back and not being able to get it back vertical. I initially was going to use cable and secure it to the trailer and arch in both directions so it would only go about 25 degrees either direction beyond vertical. But i like your idea of the shocks and a hinged strut. you sir have given me an outstanding starting point. 

Glad I could help. Definitely need build pictures though. You can help me just as much as I try to help everyone :)

firefighter ontheside

I have no clue what the weight capacity of this thing is.  The 5x5 timbers should handle many thousands of pounds, but there's lots of other unrated pieces in my system.  My chain hoist is 2 tons.  I won't try anything more than about 1500 lbs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!