iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swamp logging..

Started by SouthernRumRunner, June 10, 2009, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernRumRunner

I was watching deadliest catch last night on discovery and i saw an ad for the return of swamp logging on Monday night at 10pm.

thecfarm

Thank you!!!!!! I wrote in on the calender,now I have to remember to check it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

It's on at 9 in my neck of the woods.Looks like Extreme Logging has a show on swamp logging and than swamp logging comes on after this.VCR is all set up and ready to roll.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

adirondack harvester

Good show last night.  It really showed the real world picture of a logging operation. 

Raider Bill

I watched this last night. I believe it was a repeat.

Question, they make roads from felled trees to work with while logging. When done they pick those logs up and send to mill.
These are very mudded up. Does the mill have to do anything differnt to them before milling? I assume the are washed. Actuaslly are all logs washed first before milling?
Will those "road" logs bring the same price as clen logs?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Swamp logging was much easier to stomach and enjoy, without the swearing, arguing, and belly-aching.
Enjoyed the technique of them explaining the process (either cutting trees and laying the out, or running the log road) then putting the operation in fast forward to more quickly see how things progress.
This is better to me than the individual flash shots that change so fast and leaves you wondering how the whole job fits together.  :)
I expect all the logs go through the debarker and get cleaned up before milling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ivey

I know these folks, and buy logs from them. Bobby Goodson is a nice guy.
I beleive that the logs that are laid down for the road are small and later sent out to be ground up as pulp wood, and not used as sawtimber..
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

stonebroke

A different kind of logging for sure. Don,t think DEC would let us do that in NYS

Stonebroke

sjfarkas

The thought of that in California would get you hate calls from the enviros.  I think it's great that the wood can be utilized, but I'm sure it's not long before the hippies ruin it.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

thecfarm

I got to see a clam bunk skidder working.Seen pictures,but never seen it in motion.A very educational program.I learned a lot.Like the lingo they used. Seem like these guys were mature enough to put on a good show without trying to show off.That guy has some money tied up in equipment. I like it when they showed his equipment going on to the job site.Looked like a train coming.Yes,it was a repeat,but not to me.I missed it before.

Banjo picker

It was good to see that a man can take a pretty tough lick from time to time without going off and cussing everybody in 3 states.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Frickman

I thought is was pretty good. They showed some of the challenges we face every day in the woods. Most of the equipment problems were preventable though. Some routine inspection and maintanence and regularly filling of fuel tanks would go a long way. I like their service trailer an the lack of hollering, yelling, and swearing.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SouthernRumRunner

Sorry for not responding sooner,but i just got finish clearing 10 acres swamp job..   It is nice to see someone who is doing the same thing that you do everyday without all the swearing.

BCtimber

Interesting show.  I don't know why they don't use chains on those skidders though--  things would go much easier for them.  A KMC machine would probably work much better too.

Jeff

Chains in swamps digs you in, not out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Bobby Goodson treats his employees with repsect.  It is not all about profit.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SouthernRumRunner

Like Jeff said,they will dig you in,besides buying chains to fit those big tires does get very expensive..

tractorg25

Watched it again last night very good show. Bobby keeps his cool even in the worst market. I need to see if we a related.
Clint Goodson

Tombstone

Gotta say that it is a good program. Bobby is the real deal, I hope to see much more........
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

BCtimber

Well once you are in thats true but the chains would hold you on the skid road easier.  Looks like most of the problems there are from slipping off the logs on the roads.  I wouldn't have a skidder without chains.  But maybe things are different there...  I have worked in lots of different conditions but not swamp to that extent so it is just my own experience talking.  Interesting show though.  Different equipment mix than I am used to.

chucker

they just picked up 8 more new shows for this season.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Southern Patriot

Swamp Logging is in the blood of the group.  Their equipment breaks down from time to time because of the intense use and sometimes because of human error which is easy in the environment in which they work.  The humanity of the group touches our hearts because we have not seen a group which seems to genuinely care about one another and respect one another as this group does.  We hope there will be many more shows and it will be a great success, and bring to all the finances that would bring them some greater security.  That would be much more pleasing for these hard working men than to see the millions which have gone to the domineering Kate and unfaithful Jon and their exploitation of their children.  The machines are quite impressive to see and see operating by those who are experts at their operation.  All the best to the Swamp Loggers!

Tombstone

you hit that right on the head! I hope to see more in the future!
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

treefarmer87

this is one of the best shows on tv today im always glued to the tv on fri nights from 9 to 11 watching it finally a good hard working logging show thats educational
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Wudman

Right out of school, I got my start in the wood business in the swamps of Eastern North Carolina.  For the most part, you are running on a root mat floating on water.  The mat may be 3 feet thick, but once you break through there is nothing but water below.  I've seen more than one tractor almost lost.  The tractor of choice at the time was a 240 Timberjack either running 44s or dual 26s.  It was one of the lightest weight machines on the market.  We also ran a couple of FMC tracked crews.  Maintenance on those tracked skidders was a nightmare when they were constantly running in water.  The company that I worked for also had a 170 Franklin built to log a tract up on the Roanoke River.  It was running dual 66s.  I wish I could find a picture of it now.  It was a sight to behold. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!