iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin skidder

Started by mainiac, December 26, 2009, 11:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainiac

1973 120 Franklin skidder. Ring chains on front, ice chains on back. New paint. $7500

This is all the info I have at this point, just wondering if it would be something to chase down as it's about 175 miles from me and I have no knowledge of skidders. Logging with a 21hp Kubota tractor right now.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Ed_K

I have a taylor,1972   like the franklin most parts are off the shelf or a few days when ordering. Pd $6200. and it cost around $1500. per yr to keep it going.Look it over good put the blade down and have someone watch the center for up&down movement on the pins an bushings. That was the hardest fix we did to mine an we did it in the woods (never again).
Ed K

mainiac

Really? No oppinions on a machine like this? Is it an ok skidder for a newbie to skidders? Is it a fair price for it? or should it be less? I understand that it all depends on the the condition of it, but would you make the drive based on the price?

Thanks and Happy New Year
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

J_T

Yes that an't to far and you never know till you see it . Is a nice light weight skidder an easy to get around . I got a T J 225d that is easy to get on and off for a old man it will do anything i need to .
Jim Holloway

Rocky_Ranger

Back in the day I used a Franklin and a 518 Cat, the Franklin was just a good dependable machine.  Not as fast but reliable.  Articulates a little slower but a good winch, didn't use grapples at the time.  You ought to be able to find it in the woods when it's operating, it makes a "unique" racket......
RETIRED!

Kansas

We have a franklin, its actually called a swampbuggy. I have one sheet of paper with the specs on it and it shows its original destination was florida. As long as you don't push it too hard, it seems to hold up pretty well. Its got a detroit diesel and a fuller transmission. We have had to rebuild both. The transmission was particularly hard to find parts for. Still, I bet it figures out to pretty darn cheap per board foot pulled out. I believe ours is early 70's. If the owner doesn't have a manual or paper on it, the time or two I talked to the Franklin people, they  still had records from machines clear back then, if you have a serial number. If it is in really good shape, it might be worth 7000, that still seems a little high.

A guy we have hired to move it tells me everytime that it reminds him of a machine out of the "Mad Max" movies. It sounds and looks like it would have been perfect for it.

glk34

To me, when you are talking of old skidders it isn't always about what is wrong with it, but what can you live with. Sometimes the pins have some play, there are a few leaks, some stick when fully articulated one way or the other, the transfer cases are noisey etc. A lot of these machines are basically wore out but if you are mechanically inclined and are not abusive with them--the part time logger can usually run them for years. Be warned though that if you try to fix every little detail they can put you in the poor house pretty fast. Plan to do your own work and stay under $10,000.

axeman2558

good morning i live in southern maine close to new hampsire border  i have a 1969 135 franklin skidder for sale   rings on front ice on back new paint everything works just serviced the machine for sale @ $7500.00  353 detroit run top just been redone i was told when i got the machine ... nice older machine .. i'm going to update ..   

logger t

MY BROTHER HAS A 130AXL FRANKLIN AND A 170 XLN SLOW BUT BEPENDABLE AND PAID FOR
loggert

Thank You Sponsors!