iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD440 Grapple Skidder

Started by Bobus2003, February 05, 2010, 12:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

I heard about 440 grapple skidders by a old logger friend, so it got me intrigued so i have been lookin around on the internet for 440 grapple skidders or grapples. I have found a few pictures of them out there: Swing Grapple and a Single Function Grapple. But was curious as too if anyone knows of any out there for parts or whole machines. My dad said that he was told ESCO made a single function model..I have checked out a few heavy equipment salvage yards but had no luck.. I would like too get one for my '69 440 so any help would be great.. Thanks

KyMasterLogger

i looked at a 440-C grapple skidder a few years ago. i was unaware that there was any jd grapple skidder smaller than the C. it did have the esco grapple on it though.

IMOWOOD

JD produced only a few 440's that came from the factory with grapples, they were all single arch similar to the 540's.  I have only seen one in person and one more recently for sale.  I they were both D's and were priced at about 30k used. 

As for a retro fit to you existing machine i would look into finding an assembly off a 540 grapple and adapting it to your machine.  you would need the arch, cyilnders, grapple and valve bank to run it all and some good welding skills.  the biggest issue i see is the 440b and c's have a short wheel base so the front end tends to come up real easy.  that is why the only factoy modles with graapples were the "d" models which were about 6-8 inches longer than the "c".   

arojay

Power shift 440's have a longer and heavier front end.  As well, I've seen a couple with hoes mounted on the rear frame.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Thank You Sponsors!