iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last board thickness

Started by ncsawyer, March 16, 2015, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

For you guys that run Wood-Mizers, what is the thinnest you can cut the last board without hitting anything?  On my 1994 LT40,  the thinnest was about an inch.  I am just wondering if the newer Wood-Mizers are the same as my old one?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

landscraper

I cut my last boards right at an inch (2014 LT35) and I could probably cheat an 1/8" more and hope I didn't have a tooth out of set.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a 2010. I can take the head down to the word STOP.....and saw the last board.
Even though I can do this every time......I still creep my speed watching my clamp.....and sometimes I will just remove the clamp all together with enough weight (boards) on top.

Best thing to do is....drop the head to the word STOP, without a board and the blade off and walk through it to look at your clearance.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jmouton

i think  our last board is about 3/4  , its really close  to the little stops  on the mill , ours is a lt-25 ,  i measured them   3/4 inch   ,,,   its not that good to cut that close cuz it usually  is not good for the blade or our pocket book,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Lawg Dawg

I think 1" is pretty much standard with a WM
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

It will saw a ¾" if you do your part, but 1" is my thinnest to saw.  I see no need to crowd the clamp.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

7/8" set on manual for me, the accuset will not go below this in pattern mode. the bed stops are 3/4" so I give that for clearance. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SawyerBrown

1" is as close as I go on my 2012.  I've ripped 2x's (full 2" to 1 7/8") down to 3/4", but we just shimmed them up on 1/4" plywood and sawed at 1".
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SawyerBrown

Which brings up another point ... it would be nice if there were a "0" setting on Accuset, so you'd drop to the same position every time. Not useful for sawing logs, but real handy for resawing boards of the same dimension.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ncsawyer

Thanks for the info!  Doesn't sound like the newer mills are much different. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

drobertson

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 16, 2015, 09:06:57 PM
Which brings up another point ... it would be nice if there were a "0" setting on Accuset, so you'd drop to the same position every time. Not useful for sawing logs, but real handy for resawing boards of the same dimension.
this is a little bit of a confusing question/comment, would you clarify this for me as to what you are meaning?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

On my LT40 super, I routinely do 25/32 for one customer, in poplar or pine.  Accuset2 won't go below about 1" so I just take it down and bump it back up in the "manual" mode. Just make sure the clamp is low on the cant and confidently saw that last board making sure the guide arm is outside the clamp.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jcbrotz

You sorta have that with the accusetII hit the (maintenance button??) the black and white one on far left twice and you have 4 options to set it to go where you want it.

I stop at one inch I hit to many things without trying to push.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

customsawyer

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 16, 2015, 08:50:03 PM
1" is as close as I go on my 2012.  I've ripped 2x's (full 2" to 1 7/8") down to 3/4", but we just shimmed them up on 1/4" plywood and sawed at 1".
On this I just program one of the pattern modes with a high number all the way down to the last board and then set it to where I want. The lowest I go is 7/8.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawyerBrown

Quote from: drobertson on March 16, 2015, 09:31:37 PM
this is a little bit of a confusing question/comment, would you clarify this for me as to what you are meaning?

Sure.

Good example is a guy who bought a pallet load of old oak barn boards -- 2x8's, 2x10's, 2x12's -- and wanted to resaw them to use as flooring.  They ranged in thickness from 1 7/8" to a full 2", so (accounting for kerf), we ripped them to 7/8".  A little too close for my comfort just setting them on the mill, so we shimmed them up on 1/4" plywood, and then set the head height to 1 1/8".  The pallet had maybe 80-100 boards, so 3 of us got into a pretty good rhythm -- I'd cut, raise, back up, and unclamp; one guy would pull the finished boards; and another guy would load the next 2x.  So obviously I want to go back to 1 1/8" head height (every time), but on my "cheap" little LT35, it won't let me increment to "0".  Sounds like on the bigger mills there may be a way around that ...

By the way, that was the most beautiful bunch of oak boards I think I've ever seen.  Not a knot in the whole pile. 8)

bandmiller2

Be it circular or band most sawyers don't go under an inch for the last dog board, some chicken out before that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Sawyerbrown, I understand now what you are talking about, not sure what to tell you on your mill, just thinking, not clearly yet, next time you might try to leave the head set at a given height and run all through, then reset the height and run them through again, I don't know,  it sounds like you guys got it done, so  8)  and sounds like they were pretty ones too!  I did some old post oak a while back, it was the same, real nice, dark hard wood.

Chuck White

I believe one inch (1") is a standard for the last cut!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Danbeck

I think most of us have found that on one occasion in the distant past, even dropping as low as 6" can send sparks flyin'. We call this "baptizing" a sawmill.  ::)
- 250k bd-ft club at Wood-Mizer, sawing portable
- My Fords 7.3 T-Diesels are part-time vegan
- LT40HDG28 w/debarker
- Poultry Hitman: chickens, turkeys, etc.

SawyerBrown

Hey, welcome Dan!  Obviously the voice of experience!   ;D

millwright

On my lt35 the stop is at 7/8 I can go there if I am careful

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dan.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Danbeck

Hey, thanks for the welcome guys. I've learned a few things already. I'm just hanging inside today, waiting for sugaring weather to show up (small operation - I tap about 600). Maybe then I can throw the battery back in the mill, and get some things milled out at home before the customers start pushing.... 8)
- 250k bd-ft club at Wood-Mizer, sawing portable
- My Fords 7.3 T-Diesels are part-time vegan
- LT40HDG28 w/debarker
- Poultry Hitman: chickens, turkeys, etc.

4x4American

Don't let Dan fool ya!  Look at his join date!

Good to see ya here Dan!

-Doug
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!