iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used sawmill values

Started by battlinbill, March 17, 2015, 08:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlinbill

Hi I'm new to the forum.  I'm in the market for a used mill, something small.  I'm getting geared up to build a house.  What I'm interested in is what mills hold their value, what to check on a used mill in evaluation, and if anyone has any input on a used TK 1220 for $4800.  Motor is questionable at this point, but I haven't seen the machine.  Its got a 6 ft extension and the towing axle. Its older and has the 15 horse kohler.  Any input or advice would be well appreciated.  Thanks.

tmarch

I looked for quite some time and found that mills from any of the sponsors here hold their value very well.  One consideration is how close any dealers are to you in case service is needed.  Manual mills are not that expensive in comparison, but you may need a few items.  My Ezboardwalk is a well thought out unit and most repair parts can be found locally.  Good luck with your search.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

battlinbill

Thanks, I may need it. Seems that manual mills come up for sale rather infrequently.  I'm getting the idea that they are either uncommon or desirable or both. 

ncsawyer

I just sold a Wood Mizer Manual mill and can attest that the Wood Mizers hold their value very well.  The mill I sold was 20 years old and it sold for about 70% of what it sold for new and about 1/2 of what a new one just like it today costs.  I personally thought I would have a hard time selling it at that price, but it sold very quickly. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

goose63

It will depend how much work you want to put into it I have a woodland mill and it's getting the job done for me
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, battlinbill.  If you plan to saw for a home, hopefully you have some support equipment for handling logs and lumber.

I would not sell my '98 LT40 SuperHydraulic WM for what I gave for it 13 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Billikenfan

Quote from: ncsawyer on March 17, 2015, 09:01:50 PM
I just sold a Wood Mizer Manual mill and can attest that the Wood Mizers hold their value very well.  The mill I sold was 20 years old and it sold for about 70% of what it sold for new and about 1/2 of what a new one just like it today costs.  I personally thought I would have a hard time selling it at that price, but it sold very quickly.

I too just sold a manual LT 15.  I had the mill for 7 years ND got 1k more than I paid for it used.   Woodmizer flat out hold their value.  I would say better then any mill out there.  I bought a new Lt40 because I didn't want to pays 15k plus for a 20yr old used one.  Other mills cut great also but I would get a Woodmizer just because of the way they hold their value.

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

battlinbill

That is definitely something to consider.  I've no desire to go throwing money around, I need to make a solid investment.  And yes, Magicman, I have a decent tractor and winch to handle logs. I'll do my own logging and hauling. 

SawyerBrown

battlinbill, just want to say Welcome! and good luck with your new home project!  Where are you located?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

battlinbill

Thanks for the good wishes.  I'm up in Northern VT, the Northeast Kingdom. 

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Bill, from the title of your post I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with your values!  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dboyt

Determine what you want to cut, then find a mill that will do the job.   How well the mill holds its value is largely up to you.  Keep it covered and well maintained, and you should do well with it if you decide to sell it.  I have little doubt that I could sell my Norwood for very nearly (possibly more) what I paid for it but, like MM, I wouldn't part with it willingly.  Get the biggest engine option... you won't regret it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

battlinbill

Right now, I'll be sawing mostly moderately sized softwood, spruce, fir, and pine.  I'll saw hardwood- sugar and red maple, white ash, cherry, yellow birch, maybe some beech- when I'm through with the house and when I have the opportunity to pick up some logs or standing timber at the right price. 

Unfortunately, right now my limiting factor is cash.  I'd love to pick up a larger mill, but its not in the budget.  I do have access to a larger circular mill close by, but I'd rather do it myself and have a mill to show for my money when I'm done even if it will take me 4 times longer.  Still young enough to enjoy the satisfaction of doing things the hard way.  And it'll get done right.

What do you guys think? A timberking 1220 15 horse with a 6 ft extension and tow package for $4800 with a stuck motor?  I haven't seen it in person yet, but he says it just doesnt get used.  Its still colder than heck up here and he hasnt messed with it.  I think A little trans oil in the cylinders and some time to let it work and it should free up.  Looks like a new motor will run me $1500 or so.  Its a gamble, I realize, but if that motor can be made to run, it seems like a decent deal.

battlinbill

Checking with TK, I'd have around $9500 to have that setup shipped up here.  It comes with an 18 horse now though.

downsouth

I too sold my LT15 after 2 yrs of use for almost a thousand more than I paid for it.
  As for the 1220 I think it would be a good deal if he deducts the cost of a new motor from that price. I think that mill is worth that in good running condition. Just my opinion.
Oh and welcome to the FF

tmarch

Quote from: battlinbill on March 18, 2015, 11:53:01 AM
What do you guys think? A timberking 1220 15 horse with a 6 ft extension and tow package for $4800 with a stuck motor?  I haven't seen it in person yet, but he says it just doesnt get used.  Its still colder than heck up here and he hasnt messed with it.  I think A little trans oil in the cylinders and some time to let it work and it should free up.  Looks like a new motor will run me $1500 or so.  Its a gamble, I realize, but if that motor can be made to run, it seems like a decent deal.
I'd look at it and try to free the motor while it's still his with the idea you'll buy it if it frees up, or have some give and take if the motor won't free up.  Sounds reasonable enough if it's in decent shape.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Battlinbill,
good people and great place to visit and learn.

Always a tough choice with a used mill.
Used and get a little more mill or new and have a little smaller unit.
IMHO if you go after the TK price it like it needs a new motor
and be sure to hold some extra $ for misc parts it will probably need,

best
DGDrls

Peter Drouin

I did get more $ when I sold my first 2 Wood Mizers ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

justallan1

I think if you are buying a used mill and do your research you should easily make most of your money back.
I got my last mill from a factory rep at a HUGE discount because he wanted something bigger to take to county fairs to show off. When I sold it a month ago it was 2 years old and I made money on it, with 4-5 folks in line to come look at it.
If I were to buy a mill with a dead motor I'd make darned sure to really scrutinize every last part of the rest of it and if you haven't been around bandmills I'd certainly take someone along to look at it that has been.
I just bought a brand new EZ Boardwalk Jr. which starts at less than the used TK and seems pretty comparable in its functions to me. I've only sawn a few logs on it, so I won't go bragging to much on it, YET, but it sure seems bullet proof and well thought out.

battlinbill

It looks at this point like he's not willing to move on the price.  So I'm back to square one.  I have seen a couple Turner mills around this neck of the woods and was very interested that they came with no blade lube system and all of the owners said that due to the rubber tires the blade rides on, no lube or coolant is needed.  Sounds like a nice thing for a guy like me who will be working thru the winter.  Seems very reasonable and compareable in price and features to other small manufacturers.  Anyone had experience with Turner?

And Peter, I see you are in NH.  Do you make a living with your mill there?  I've wondered at the possibility of going bigger and doing custom sawing, selling some lumber and low impact logging/land management.  Of course, the market is quite a bit smaller in northern VT, but I'm not looking to get rich, just support the family a little better than I am now and work more for myself. 

Southside

I have no personal experience with a mill that uses tires, but there are a few videos and such that suggest that is not a good of an idea as it appears.  I would suggest doing more research to see how much the mill would allow you the option to grow. 

As far as being in a cold environment lube is often cut with windshield washer fluid in the winter and the bottle brought inside at night or when not in use, blow out the tube and there are no issues to worry about.  I would not be too concerned with that issue. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

slider

I hope you are not planning on sawing pine if you are not going to use some form of lube.When the pitch builds up on your band it will not saw straight.
al glenn

battlinbill

I guess thats the supposed advantage.  One guy I know, bought a Turner and, after I gave him a timber falling lesson, promptly went and mill 10,000 ft of eastern white pine with no lube and then built a barn with it.  And I have to say, being a carpenter and having worked in sawmills quite a bit, the wood looked really nice.  I was pretty surprised.

4x4American

I know of folks who don't use any blade lube at all.  If the blades sharp and the mill is aligned, you should be fine as long as pitch don't build up on the blade.
Boy, back in my day..

slider

I guess ewp does not have the pitch that yellow pine has.I don't see much eastern white pine here if at all.Cooks sells a drip lube system that's neat.It would take two.One for each side of the blade.I think they go for under 90 bucks each.
al glenn

bozzaa69

Your not going to saw EWP without lube to keep the pitch off the blade. Not unless it's been down 3 or 4 years. If you guys are selling Woodmizers for more than you paid new,all the power to you. If your the buyer paying that premium,OUCH! This is gonna stir the beehive, but needs to be said in the interest of the new guys looking to get into it. I don't care what anybody says,Woodmizer is way overrated. I know this from the fact of using them and other mills. This forum seems dominated by Woodmizer guys. You guys can keep em. All the proprietary parts and electronics,no thanks. I prefer to push and pull hydraulic levers manually. I'll pass on the setworks in the name of simplicity of maintenance and cost.

Chuck White

As the cost of "new" goes up, so does the cost of "used"!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: bozzaa69 on March 19, 2015, 02:04:08 PM
Your not going to saw EWP without lube to keep the pitch off the blade. Not unless it's been down 3 or 4 years. If you guys are selling Woodmizers for more than you paid new,all the power to you. If your the buyer paying that premium,OUCH! This is gonna stir the beehive, but needs to be said in the interest of the new guys looking to get into it. I don't care what anybody says,Woodmizer is way overrated. I know this from the fact of using them and other mills. This forum seems dominated by Woodmizer guys. You guys can keep em. All the proprietary parts and electronics,no thanks. I prefer to push and pull hydraulic levers manually. I'll pass on the setworks in the name of simplicity of maintenance and cost.

You are entitled to your opinion, however jaded it might be. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bozzaa69

So is my opinion jaded because I'm not a huge Woodmizer fan or why else? I'm curious on this one. There's allot of other band saw equipment out there, and Woodmizer is not the best band saw mill ever made by far. I just think it's weird how so many here think so. That's like being the only Chevy guy at a Ford convention I guess.

Ga Mtn Man

We're not really going to go down this road again are we? ::)  As with the Ford vs Chevy debate, no one's mind is going to be changed here.

FYI, I sold my Timberking for a lot more than I paid for it. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Peter Drouin

I cut EWP all day today with no lube. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

bozzaa69
You are welcome to your opinion. Stick to it, but leave others to their own opinions.

I don't think anyone is having the wool pulled over their eyes, as you seem to want to imply.

WM are good mills, and other brands do have to compete for their claims to fame, just as WM does... IMO.

And if you are the only Chevy guy at a Ford convention, do you go around making a stink about how bad Ford's are... thinking you will win some friends??  Not if you are smart.... IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Quote from: battlinbill on March 19, 2015, 07:54:11 AM

And Peter, I see you are in NH.  Do you make a living with your mill there?  I've wondered at the possibility of going bigger and doing custom sawing, selling some lumber and low impact logging/land management.  Of course, the market is quite a bit smaller in northern VT, but I'm not looking to get rich, just support the family a little better than I am now and work more for myself. 

Yes, I'm full time sawmill here. Just have to make the $ in the warm time of the year. :D :D :D Jan & Feb are slow and too cold. But, I do cut some . I have a bunch of crazy cousins in the Champlain Valley. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Your not going to saw EWP without lube to keep the pitch off the blade. Not unless it's been down 3 or 4 years.

DS: Not relevant to my rebuttal, but I often saw white pine without lube without any issues. I think it has to do with the time of year and the temp of the log. Winter cut pine sawn when it's frozen saws great.

If you guys are selling Woodmizers for more than you paid new,all the power to you. If your the buyer paying that premium,OUCH!

DS: If they aren't worth it, then why are people paying it? If you buy a mill for $20k and ten years later, that same mill is now $30k, then buying a used one at $20k probably looks pretty good. I don't think anyone is buying a new mill and selling it 6 months later for the same money.

This is gonna stir the beehive, but needs to be said in the interest of the new guys looking to get into it. I don't care what anybody says,Woodmizer is way overrated. I know this from the fact of using them and other mills. This forum seems dominated by Woodmizer guys.

DS: This is purely opinion, and you are entitled to yours, as I am entitled to mine. I also feel that not agreeing with you is also acceptable. I'm not sure where you are getting the justification for saying they are overrated. WM is a great company to deal with, the mills are very well built and do what they are supposed to do. If they are not your cup of tea, I don't see how that makes them overrated.

You guys can keep em. All the proprietary parts and electronics,no thanks. I prefer to push and pull hydraulic levers manually. I'll pass on the setworks in the name of simplicity of maintenance and cost.

DS: All manufacturers use some proprietary parts. WM does have a lot of development in their setworks, just as Ford/Dodge/Chevy all have a lot of development in their vehicles. Can you go to parts store and buy every part of a vehicle? No. There are few machines that are off the shelf entirely. If you want the bells and whistles, and the added productivity, then the added complexity comes with the possibility that something might fail. A rock is pretty fail proof, but not terribly useful. Sharpen the edges and lash it to a stick, now you have an axe. Handy, but you never know when the handle of lashings might break, but it's worth the risk, because chopping a log is so much better with an axe than with a blunt rock.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 19, 2015, 07:53:55 PM

, because chopping a log is so much better with an axe than with a blunt rock.

:D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

47sawdust

battlinbill,
You are welcome to come to my place and check out my 1997 Lt30.It is non-hydraulic and a pleasure to use.It is set up in a saw shed with my edger.Right now it is still surrounded by 3' of snow .As others have said there are a lot of good sawmills out there,but for me the WM has features that make it fun to go to the mill. 

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

Quote from: bozzaa69 on March 19, 2015, 02:04:08 PMI prefer to push and pull hydraulic levers manually.  I'll pass on the setworks in the name of simplicity of maintenance and cost.
And you are not turning out the productivity that I am either.  13,652 bf of 1" ERC and Cypress sawed in my last 6 days of sawing.  That is not a record or bragging, just a fact.

Check out the "Whatcha Sawing" thread.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

@bozzaa69   What do you run for a mill?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

bozzaa69

How do you not get pitch build up on your blade,running the pine with no lube? The only pine I ever cut with out the build up was 3 or 4 years cut and seasoned. I don't see how it's possible to cut fresh pine especially, with out pitch build up. Never seen it happen. I'm not downing Woodmizer, just saying, it isn't the best thing going. The new guys looking to buy a first mill deserve answers not so swayed towards 1 brand.                                              I've used Baker,Timberking,Woodmizer,Linn and homemade. My uncle,then my cousin had a circle mill I worked at as a teenager till 20 years old. I'm 50 now. If you wanna see a real portable band mill,look up Select Saw,Baker too. I'd like to try a Cook's, they look nice. Although those saws aren't geared for first time,casual use buyers. I built my most recent homemade more or less from a little bit of what I thought the best aspects of the mills I've used in the past,based on how well it worked vs. economy vs. material I had and ease to build. I'd put it up to an LT-40 hydraulic any time, for a fraction of the price. I build every part of the mills I've made with parts and materials accumulated from scrap steel and used parts as much as possible,then I use them and sell them. My newest build will have Cooks 26'' steel wheels,guide rollers,tensioner and bearings (already purchased and 1/3 built). I know a little bit about how all these things work..And to Magic Man,If you really work like that at age 71,my hats off to ya. You must have helpers with that production?

bozzaa69

Oh ya. PS to Magic. You don't know what I produce.

Peter Drouin

Most times when you have pine pitch on the blade your cutting to slow. For me, it's older logs is when I get a build-up, then one cut with water only [fully on] and the blade is clean.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Pretty cool do you have any pictures or videos of your home made mills?  Would love to see em.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

The only Pine that I have ever sawn is SYP, and lube is a necessity to keep the blades clean.  Absolutely.  My well know lube is a glug per gallon of liquid Cascade.

@bozzaa69, the only help that I have is what the customer provides, and yes, this helper is my all time best ever.  He and I work together very well, but the blade has to stay in the log to make production.

I offered production numbers to emphasize the productivity of bells and whistles, and not to question yours.  Now I gotta go because the logs and sawmill are waiting.   ;D

downsouth

When someone asks a question, most of us respond with our own experience. I don't think that is misleading to them at all.
As I said I made money on my first mill after 2 years of use, but I did not buy it new.
  I'm not sure I understand why you got all "bunged up" with our responses.

Dave Shepard

Of course a home built mill is cheaper than a factory built mill. And do you think Baker or Cooks give their mills away for free?

There is a common theme that if someone is really happy with their brand of mill, that they must be against all others. I am really enthusiastic about my Wood-Mizer, but I don't run down other mills. When someone is looking for a mill of course I'm going to praise them, but I don't insult the other makes.

Southside

Every line has its own market advantage.  I think the Wood Mizers LT series excel at their portability while doing very well in a non portable setting.  I looked at the Bakers and have seen a Cooks A/C 36 run.  The Baker excels in a permanent installation, where the logs are consistent, and really is an industrial, mill - comparable to oh say the Wood Mizers 1000 and 4000 head rigs.  So for the guys who are looking for something that function very well in a number of situations the Wood Mizers do serve them well. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

ncsawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on March 20, 2015, 05:52:14 PM
Every line has its own market advantage.  I think the Wood Mizers LT series excel at their portability while doing very well in a non portable setting.  I looked at the Bakers and have seen a Cooks A/C 36 run.  The Baker excels in a permanent installation, where the logs are consistent, and really is an industrial, mill - comparable to oh say the Wood Mizers 1000 and 4000 head rigs.  So for the guys who are looking for something that function very well in a number of situations the Wood Mizers do serve them well.

I will second that.  The Cooks and Baker mills are 7,000 plus pounds.  There is no way you would be able to get those heavy mills in a lot of the places I work.  My LT40 is balanced well enough you can unhook it from the truck and move it around by hand to get it where it needs to be.  I would hate to think I had to move a 7,000 pound machine by hand.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

When I need to move my mill by hand, I jack up a leveling jack near the front trailer jack with the wheel on it, get it off the ground, put a board under it, lower it onto it, push hard as I can, repeat.  often times I will put a firewood block under the board, under the wheel, so that its going downhill.  Even still it is a little hard to push.

Leverage makes the world go round...(old saying)

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I have hand turned mine many times at saw sites.  At one location just to get to and from the site, I had to jackknife the mill, unhook, hand turn it, hook back up, and proceed.  The towing tongue weight on my sawmill is about 75 lbs.

slider

not trying to one up you Lynn but with the head in the towing position on my LT 70 you can put the hitch on the ball with one hand.Some one at woodmizer got the balance point just right.al
al glenn

Southside

Slider - looking at the work Magicman puts out I suspect that 75 lbs he is referring to does not even even require him to use his whole hand!! Two fingers at most.  8)
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

If I hauled the board return table and jack, it would be different, but I removed all signs of the board return years ago.   ;D

I have been told that LT40's with Command Control are quite heavy.

terrifictimbersllc

My board return sets behind the axle for travel, but I have a front remote.  Not sure what the tongue weight is but it's a lot heavier than 75 pounds.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pine

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2015, 09:22:50 AM
The towing tongue weight on my sawmill is about 75 lbs.

Any sway issue when towing at higher speeds?  Or do you only go to close places that never involve long distances and higher highway speeds?

Magicman

No sway, and I have traveled as far as ~350 miles to Rusk, TX. and many 125-200 mile trips. 

The sawmill would not leave the WM factory if there were sway issues and there are sawmills being delivered to dealers all across the USA and Canada.

78NHTFY

Booza69: you sound like a real smart guy in many respects.  But if I may, a couple of pointers: this is a site where folks pull up a stump, listen, learn and contribute what they can.  And what makes it a GREAT FORUM is that it's all done without an attitude.  You may not be aware of it but your comments are made with you having a chip on your shoulder.  There is no need to do this.  Everyone here is really pretty mellow, and funny too.  We'd love to learn about your band mill and what makes it great.
As for Woodmizer, they are a very successful company with many models giving the buyer a myriad of choices at a wide range of prices.  A businessman reading what you wrote about your mill would determine that you're leaving lots of money on the table if your are selling your comparable product for a fraction of the price.  Take care and looking forward to your positive contributions to this forum.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Bruno of NH

Back to the original post .
The turner mill has a lot of value for the price . They cut some nice lumber and you can add on hydro as needed .
I have a thomas mill made in Maine and like it very well .
I live in the upper valley in NH
Come take a look .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bozzaa69

I've tried to share idea's and information in other post's too,and been accused of attitude before too. Whatever? Don't see how so much attitude come's out of a simple sentence. I'm not selling my mill for a fraction of the price. I'm building it and using it for that,with no service or special parts needed. When I sell them,I get what I need or don't sell it. To get back to original post,I just couldn't believe people would pay so much for a used piece of equipment that isn't that great. I've used a couple and know a couple people with them,and there's better options out there,than the new guy paying that much for used equipment. That TK mill he talked about probably wasn't bad for the $4800,even if it needed a new motor,seeing as used mills don't come up too often. Harbor Freight got a 22HP now for $699. I've run the crap out of them and their good. So $4800 + $700 =$5500 for a used TK-1220,I think it was? In any event,at least it has 4 wheels. Better than $7200 is what my buddy paid for his new LT-15, 7 years ago. If they hold their value that well,then still $7200,cause new ones are more now? So ya, Maybe that should of been said first. The point of this discussion was to help the OP. No attitude,just saying.

SawyerBrown

I think the proof is in the pudding (which probably should be added to the 'old sayings' thread, come to think of it, although I really don't know what it means  ;D).  WM sells a lot of mills.  If they weren't or now aren't a great company with great machines, then someone else will eventually take over the market.  Certainly in this niche market, the law of supply and demand still rules, and forums like this one will get the word out about the "best" machine for whatever you're trying to do.  I easily accept that sometimes that may NOT be a WM!

For me, there were three things that were key to my decision to go to WM:  1) Christ-centered company, and willing to say so openly and proudly; 2) Made in America, and 3) their benevolence in helping developing countries with their products.  Great machine, high resale value, readily available parts via one phone call, ReSharp service, and a host of other things that are important to some of us are just a great side benefit! 

Quote from: pine on March 21, 2015, 04:02:56 PM
Any sway issue when towing at higher speeds?  Or do you only go to close places that never involve long distances and higher highway speeds?
pine, I've towed mine at 75+ MPH, and you barely know it's back there, and I'm just pulling with my 1/2-ton pickup.  No sway issues whatsoever.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Nomad

Quote from: pine on March 21, 2015, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2015, 09:22:50 AM
The towing tongue weight on my sawmill is about 75 lbs.

I strictly saw mobile too, and often drag my mill on interstates.  When I saw the light tongue weight I was a bit concerned.  But I've never had a problem and hardly know it's back there.  (I'm driving a 3/4 ton.)
     A couple years ago I had a tire on the mill blow out at over 70MPH.  Blew a fender off the mill, caused a lot of sparks, and I pulled off the side of the road.  No other drama at all.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

There was a discussion on tongue weight on here over a year ago and I went out and weighed mine!

I put the scale under the front outrigger and if I remember correctly, the weight was 130 pounds.   I can't remember for sure, so I'll have to weigh it again when I get a chance!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

My 2008 Super with the CAT weighs more than 75 pounds. I have to put weight on the other end of the mill if I want to walk it around.

Peter Drouin

I put the mill where my truck will put it, and use the jack to take it off the hitch. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SawyerBrown

If I've got to swing mine around, I sometimes have my customer pushing down on the back end in the opposite direction (taking some weight off the front), or I move the head rearward about 18" to counterbalance.  Always put the rear outrigger down a ways though in case it wants to float further backward!  ;D

Chuck White

Not sure, but just an idea!

Leave the transport safety chain hooked and raise the sawhead off of the transport pin and move it rearward and fasten it there with a ratchet strap.

This should lighten the tongue weight by several pounds, and should help when you have to move the mill by hand!

battlinbill

Quote from: bozzaa69 on March 22, 2015, 11:10:30 AM
I've tried to share idea's and information in other post's too,and been accused of attitude before too. Whatever? Don't see how so much attitude come's out of a simple sentence. I'm not selling my mill for a fraction of the price. I'm building it and using it for that,with no service or special parts needed. When I sell them,I get what I need or don't sell it. To get back to original post,I just couldn't believe people would pay so much for a used piece of equipment that isn't that great. I've used a couple and know a couple people with them,and there's better options out there,than the new guy paying that much for used equipment. That TK mill he talked about probably wasn't bad for the $4800,even if it needed a new motor,seeing as used mills don't come up too often. Harbor Freight got a 22HP now for $699. I've run the crap out of them and their good. So $4800 + $700 =$5500 for a used TK-1220,I think it was? In any event,at least it has 4 wheels. Better than $7200 is what my buddy paid for his new LT-15, 7 years ago. If they hold their value that well,then still $7200,cause new ones are more now? So ya, Maybe that should of been said first. The point of this discussion was to help the OP. No attitude,just saying.

So it seems like there are quite a few reputable builders of mills out there to choose from.  If I go new I'll probably go with somebody relatively close to avoid freight and just pick it up.  I do like the idea of a smaller company that uses non proprietary parts.  I don't want to be waiting for parts to ship.  As long as I can get parts, I've got a fab shop next door so he can do any welding repair and such I need.  Of course a used mill for the right price, I'm not so concerned about brand.

SO- I know nobody wants down anybody else's mill, but are there any brands to just plain stay away from? 

Also, I see many mills have the option of adding a subframe or stiffening frame.  Is this really necessary?  I mean, shouldn't it be stiff enough stock?  Not sure what to make of this, but if it needs more, why not just build them stronger and charge what it costs.  Is it an attempt to hit a price point by skimping?

Dave Shepard

I would say that meeting price points is a good way to describe it. Some people may be building their own trailers or want to build their own bases. It saves on redundancy.

downsouth

I don't see how anyone could compare a HF mill to a LT15 or a 1220. I bought my lt15 for $4000 and sold it for $4800. They are out there.
  The smaller mills that need reinforcing underneath are usually designed to stay in one place on a foundation of some sort. These are lower price point mills.
  Some higher price point mills like the LT15 and the 1220 do not need a foundation because they are built much heavier duty.
  I don't think ordering parts is a problem at least has not been for me. Usually a couple days is all it takes.
  Keep an eye out and be patient you will find what fits you. Whatever brand it is.
Good luck with the search and purchase, it is a good experience.

Ianab

Quote:Also, I see many mills have the option of adding a subframe or stiffening frame.  Is this really necessary?  I mean, shouldn't it be stiff enough stock?  Not sure what to make of this, but if it needs more, why not just build them stronger and charge what it costs.  Is it an attempt to hit a price point by skimping?

A mill that's going to be portable, and set up on uneven ground, supported by some jack stands, needs to be a lot sturdier than one that's set up stationary on a concrete pad, with plenty of support.

So yes it's down to saving money. But if you can cut the price by $500  and make no difference (if the mills is going to mount on a concrete pad anyway), then it makes sense.

Then offer the stronger beams as an option if you want the mill trailer mounted and portable.

So when you look at WM LT15 compared to a portable LT15GO, there is an extra rail under the track, not just the jacks and wheels.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!