iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4wheeler 4x4 wont shift

Started by ksu_chainsaw, January 08, 2010, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksu_chainsaw

Yesterday, I was plowing snow, and accidently hit the 4x4 rocker switch, knocking it out of 4x4.  I then tried several times to re-engage it, but it wont.

This is a 2006 Kawasaki praire 360. 

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Charles

sprucebunny

Have you rocked the machine forward and back while trying to shift ?

Is the 4x4/2x4 button electronic ?

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ksu_chainsaw

I rocked it back and forth for at least 15 min- i was stuck at the bottom of my driveway and couldn't get back up.  It is an electric rocker switch to engage the 4x4, but i couldnt get the housing open- stupid screws were stripped- and I havent ever opened it.

Charles

Kevin

Did you get it in where it's warm, maybe something is frozen?

ksu_chainsaw

it sat in the semi-heated shop- about 50 degrees for 3-4 hours while I went to town, but nothing happened after that either.

Kevin

Is there a fuse involved in there somewhere?

ksu_chainsaw

I looked at the 2 main fuses in there, but both were good, the manual isnt much help on troubleshooting.

Magicman

I believe it's time to remove/take apart the switch and get out the old VOM.  You gotta know if you have 12VDC at the switch, and then if the switch contacts are closing.  You can also check toward the shifter and you should see resistance indicating that the shifter coil is good.  It mechanical from there.  You'll have to get to the shifter and see what is wrong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ksu_chainsaw

That is what I figured, thankfully-not- the screws holding the switch box in are already stripped- and I have never touched them the entire time that I have had the 4wheeler- time for a cut off wheel and vicegrips.

charles

isawlogs

Seeing as they are already stripped , I am gessing this issue has already arised and someone also started with the switch .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ksu_chainsaw

nobody else has owned this 4wheeler, since i bought it new from the dealer with only 0.3 hours on the meter.

Magicman

Then it should be a warranty issue.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Might not be a waranty issue , some of those bikes have little time on the waranty . Could be all but a day late, time wise ..  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ksu_chainsaw

It only had a 1 year warranty on it, and when I took it in to the dealer about 9 months into the warranty, i got charged for stuff that should of been covered- or so I thought.  So I havent stepped foot into that dealer again.  I have had the machine for almost 4 years now, and find better prices through the internet or my local Artic Cat dealer- which is where I will get a new machine when this one is totally shot- but cant afford one yet.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

What style of head is on the screws that you need to remove? How bad are they stripped?  Maybe a pic is in order here.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ksu_chainsaw

#2 phillips head screws- it looks like they used a air-screwdriver and didnt keep it pushed in tight- so its rounded out enough to make it a pain- tomorrow i am going to try a #3 phillips bit, a quick grip clamp holding the bit into the screw and a pair of vise grips to turn the bit.

beenthere

Perfect place for the RustReaper. Hope you have some and can give 'em a few drops.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

If I had to guess it sounds more like a shear problem than a switch.
They put a weak spot in the shaft so it will break, I had that happen with my old Honda 4Trax.
It might be quicker to go right to the coil and prove it there.

Magicman

Right,  since the switch cover is a problem, just be sure that you have 12VDC going in and coming out with the switch "on".  Maybe you can use a jumper wire to "hot wire" the coil.

You just want to find out if your problem is electrical or mechanical.

Coon

If you are going to try a bigger screwdriver bit what you could do is put the bit into the screw head and give it a couple of good whacks with a dead blow hammer.  Sometimes this helps loosen the corrosion thus allowing easier removal.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ksu_chainsaw

Well, i didnt get time today to work on it- was working on installing the kitchen countertop  I didnt find any corrosion on the screws though, it looks like they just used LOTS of threadlocker on it to keep the screws from ever coming out.  I am hoping that it is just the switch, since the front axle was driving, then I accidently flipped the switch, then it wont go back in again.

Kevin

Does the manual indicate that you can switch on the fly or does it warn against it?

ksu_chainsaw

it says you can shift on the fly, but then in the next paragraph it says its preferred to do it from a stop- sounds like a loophole to get out of warranty work- if it still was under warranty.

Ford_man

check the wire to the front gear box it may have a plug that just came unplugged. it happened to my grandsons atv took me 2 hours of looking at every thing else before i found it

Thank You Sponsors!