iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting way to haul stuff.

Started by ADAMINMO, August 24, 2007, 03:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

This is my helper's bike hauling cans to the scrap yard. He has since wrecked it and the one he replaced it with to.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TKehl

Had 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of 2x lumber in a 1986 Subaru station wagon across town in 2004.  Wish I had a picture.  Went well enough other than having to contort my arm to shift.   :D

Also had a lady come out to buy a bred goat in a Yukon and no trailer.  I figured she had a cage inside, but the first words out of her mouth before I even asked confirmed she didn't.  We got her head pointed in on the rear barn doors (Appropriate!!!   ;D) and gave a shove and she jumped right in.  Then she kept jumping!  Into the rear bench, then the front seats!   :D  Once there she turned and rammed the drivers window, then the passengers, then the drivers again!  Frustrated she squatted and urinated on the console!   :D :D :D  She looks at the scene horrified and says, "My husband's going to be p***ed!"  I was like, "YEAH"!!!!  I was checked local news for wrecks along her 40 mile journey home.  Didn't find any so I guess she must have made it home.   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

florida

I wish I had a photo just to remind me how stupid I was when I was young(er).
It was lean times, construction had completely dried up and I was doing anything I could to keep food on the table and a roof over my head. I found work as a subcontractor for Sears installing aluminum awnings. They came in cardboard boxes of many sizes, as small as 3' x 3' and as larger as 6' X 16.' The only vehicle I had was a worn out Dodge Dart Swinger and a light roof rack. Later I added a bolt on bumper hitch and a 4' x 8' trailer with a 4' tailgate I could let down. I pulled out of the Sears warehouse many times with the trailer stacked full of longer awnings  and a half dozen more tied on top. The roof rack held the smaller ones, stacked up 3 or 4' and if I had more I opened my trunk, stuck a rope across, closed the trunk, then stacked another pile on it! That poor little 6 cylinder Dart had to work hard to haul those loads but I always made it. I forgot I always had a 6' stepladder tied on somewhere as well.  

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Raider Bill

Ljohnsaw

I had a little Nissan pickup when we moved to our country property where I was building a big barn (2,200sf).  I was finishing the inside ceiling with pine ship lap siding.  The longer the better :-X, less joints.  I had picked up a load of 20 footers - carried home on my my home-made wooden rack.  Just uprights in the bed, nothing out over the cab.  That worked great as the bundle was stretch wrapped.  As it happens with long lumberyard wood, some of it had some significant movement.  Enough that I couldn't cut short stuff out of it.  So I loaded up about 2 dozen to go back.  I had already traveled about 10 or 12 miles and was within a mile or so of the yard.  I was coming down an over crossing (steep down hill) when the light went red.  I jump on the brakes and half the wood telescoped out in front of me, touching the road probably 20 feet out.  I didn't drop any and just had to push it all back.  Now I check my straps after traveling a few miles for any settling of the load!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

goose63

A few years agao a drunk picked his buddy after some more drinking thy thought it would be a good idea to steal a calf then got picked up for d w i spend the night in jail the ones wife came to pick them up found the calf in the back of her mini van it had left a big mess went in the jail and said shoot both of them two drunks 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Greyman

When I was in high school my parents bought a house with a lot of extra sidewalks etc. (previous owner worked for a concrete company) and we broke up a lot of it and hauled it to the dump in our Toyota HiLux.  We had to all ride in the cab to go to the dump in order to keep the front wheels on the ground, but they would still bounce up off the road going around corners.  Crazy.

Don P

Florida's Dart story brought back a memory of my starting out. The pinto wasn't getting it, and it was Michelle's car, so I bought a very high mileage Duster driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday's, best I could figure church must have been down in Mexico somewhere cause I found stuff from there under the back seat and a bunch of some kind of seeds. I broke out the sawzall and made an El Cadusto out of it. I used it for a few jobs and sure got some looks going down the road until I could buy a little Datsun truck that I mercilessly overloaded. A buddy at work went home one day to find his possessions, and wife, gone. I sold him the ElCadusto for a dollar and he drove it till he got back on his feet, that slant 6 was unstoppable. He came in one day and said he made twenty times what he paid for it :D.

Southside

I learned to drive by bombing around fields in an old yellow Duster with black, vinyl seats - man oh man - there was never a time of year those things were not hot, and yes you are right, those slant 6 engines were simply unbeatable, would run for ever.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

woodmaker

A few years ago, when diesel fuel was 4+ dollars a gallon ( and everything I owned was diesel), I bought a crown vic  cop car at auction from  a local town.
 I needed a roll of 2 " water pipe to finish a job but the local Webb store didnt have one in stock. There was one ,however , at their branch about 60 miles away.I called that branch, asked someone to measure the diameter of that  roll, then measured the trunk . Assured that it would fit , i went to pick it up.When I got there, I found the guy had measured the wrong roll, and what i wanted was 2' larger than expected. Not willing to drive back,get a truck,and come back again, I stuck as much in the trunk as I could, ratchet strapped it in ( leaving about 4 feet hanging out the back, trunk lid in the air) and came home . 
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Raider Bill

The Achilles heal for those slant six cars was the torsion bar pockets rotting out. I had a Valiant and a Duster.

Southside

The entire trunk on my Dodge Aspen rotted out so badly you had to drive with the windows down to keep the exhaust out, but the slant 6 kept on running.

Funny, nobody cared about the exhaust and nobody died as a result in that car, imagine what would happen today. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Looking at htis thread makes me homesick for overseas work again. i worked in the mideast and Africa and saw some very interesting luggage come in at the airports and very interesting loads hauled in and on the vehicles over there. I know you can load 2 full sized camels on a small Toyota p/u or 4 full sized camels on a long bed Chevy. We got behind a station wagon in Cameroon one time and saw a full grown steer tied up in there. I've seen taxis pull up and open the trunk and start unloading grown live pigs. The trucks and buses over there had loads stacked on top so high they were top heavy and sometimes turned over on the uneven sandy roads over there. People would be riding on the top of loads and standing on the bumper at the back of the bush taxi - a 15 passenger van. When 2 bush taxis would collide they would sometimes have 75 people killed. Same with TapTaps in Haiti which were the local bus service. When you'd ask how many people could fit in a TapTap or bush taxi the correct answer was always -1 more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

My wife's aunt Judy was reported as a little prankster in her younger years.  She and a friend "kid" napped a local goat and snuck it into a local bar.  The bar called the local sheriff and he was less than amused to find his goat roaming around the bar.  I had a friend whos family raised goats.  We went in Kindergarten to see them and bottle feed them.  In later years there may have been times when a group of guys sat on stumps in a circle and had a few.  There was a wheel barrow in the circle and eventually a goat would jump into the WB and set like part of the group.  The goat never did have a beer with us.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

Wife's grandfather was a (sort of) cattle dealer.
Took her grandmother's nearly new Pontiac and trucked a calf in the trunk.
No history of how the trunk looked afterward.
He did this fairly often when he only had one calf to pick up, even though he had a truck.
The car was the nicest she ever owned.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

submarinesailor

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 09, 2019, 08:01:49 AM
The Achilles heal for those slant six cars was the torsion bar pockets rotting out. I had a Valiant and a Duster.
Bill, I grew up riding in the back seat of a "Vomit" Station Wagon.  Had a 3 speed on the floor with a tailgate that opened both ways.  Should have seen my mom learning how to drive a stick shift.  We kids called it the "White Milkshake" machine. :D :D :D :D

florida

Another Dart overload story.

After 6 months or so of installing awnings Sears asked me if I'd like to install chain  link fencing. More money and only 1 or 2 jobs a day.  I enlisted a friend who was also out of work and we never looked back. I'd pull my faithful Dart up to the fence lot where we would fill the trunk and backseat with chain link parts, posts and bags of concrete.  The 20' top rail pieces were tied together and laid out on the parking lot. I'd drive the car over them so we could tie it up to the bumpers! Away we'd go to jobs as much as 50 miles away. No  one ever said a word about our truck except one lady who told me the car was on fire. I told her it was oil leaking on the engine  until she asked about the flames! Whoops! The fire melted the accelerator linkage so we had to drive home using a string to give it gas. We had to adjust it several times but we were stopping anyway because my right front retread was flapping against the wheel well. I'd pull over and adjust the string while my buddy cut chunks off the tire with a razor knife.   Naturally it was one of those "50 mile" jobs and Friday so by the time we got home about 9 there was nothing left of the tire but the core and a few random chunks of tread. Life was tough back then but things did slowly get better.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

thecfarm

pete,I betcha that was the worst smelliest car too.  smiley_airfreshener
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Here's a friend of mine about to leave the farm after we welded up a motorcycle rack for the back of his car.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

In our teens my buddy had a 64 Mercury stepside pickup with a 6-1/2' box and side boards. We got permission from the logging contractor his dad hauled for to salvage firewood and fence posts from the brush pile evenings and weekends. We cut with two old McCulloch saws (when we could get them started) then loaded that poor Merc to the top of the cab. The axle was hard against the bump stops. We would sell a load to pay for a burger and gas so we could make the next trip.
We loaded one trip then I noticed the tube sticking out of the tire casing, the spare was under the wood. We made it to town but it was a tense ride.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

Apparently this happened today in Germanton.....

I
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

:D, that must have been fun in todays wind!

Southside

Gee Ted you REALLY don't want to scratch that new truck now do ya?   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

:D :D :D :D

That new truck has hauled something just about every day so far.  I've hauled logs, lumber, firewood and waste slabs.  Just haven't hauled appliances yet. Really trying to make it earn its keep!  Yep the bed is scratched....

:D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

The manufacturer will not recommend this but I have been told you can haul some lumber on your portable sawmill.  I would only do that with great caution.  I prob. overloaded my gooseneck a time or two.  this load only moved 2 blocks from a local church clearing a maple for a parking lot,

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!