iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel economy

Started by bandmiller2, January 01, 2014, 07:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Anyone know of any studies comparing the economy of bandmills, swing mills and circular mills for the same amount of board feet cut. ?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Holmes

That's an interesting thought. I've not heard anything about that, ever.
Think like a farmer.

Ron Wenrich

Circle mills often add other support equipment to the power consumption.  On our gen set, we ran a bunch of hydraulics, the circle mill, decks, a vertical edger, a horizontal edger, blowers, conveyors and chippers.  We were getting about 6 gal/Mbf and our time factor was about 45-50 minutes.  That was in short oak.  Put that to black locust and the gal/Mbf goes up as the production goes down.  Put that to long tulip poplar and you can cut those numbers is half. 

There are a lot of factors that go into the numbers that its hard to make an apples to apples comparison.  To me, fuel is just part of the equation.  I can buy all inputs to the equation except time. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

With my mill, I usually saw somewhere around 1,500 bf on 5 gallons of gasoline!

So, roughly 300bf/gal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

By economy, do you mean overall cost (amortization, maintenance, labor, logs, taxes, insurance, etc.) or just fuel?

A lot depends on the design of the mill.  My previous mill used about 20% of its power to keep the hydraulic pressure up, most of which was just lost. A lot also depends on the operation of the mill.  Taking heavy slabs and shutting off the mill when it won't be used for a couple of minutes can squeeze out a few more board feet per gallon.  As Ron says, there is a lot more to getting boards than just the sawmill.

Wood is a far more expensive resource than fuel, and that's what pushed me in the direction of the band saw.  After working with the Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out for a number of years, the band mills  (1/8" kerf) get about 15% over the International 1/4 scale.  That's 8 boards for every 7 cut on a circle mill.

I use less than 3 gallons to mill 1,200 board feet of oak on my manual Norwood sawmill-- but a day's work for me (working solo) is an hour's production on Ron's mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

bandmiller2

Thanks guys, myself I think it would come down to the swinger or the band for strict cost per board foot not including other costs. If production is figured in mayby the circle rig would be in the running. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brucer

Over the last 8 years I've averaged 88 BF per litre on an LT40HDG28 (28 HP Kohler gas engine). That's 334 BF per US gallon. At our current (very high) fuel rates that works out to about 1-1/2 cents per BF.

That number could go way higher if I was sawing 12' -8x8's exclusively (with a helper). It could go way down if I was sawing 30' - 8x12's exclusively (with no helper). That's what makes it tough to do a comparison.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

drobertson

If I did my numbers correctly, the cost for fuel only is .013 cents (avg) per bd/ft.   51 hp, cat, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

I usually come up with $.017/ft for fuel, bands are the same per foot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 02, 2014, 07:21:42 PM
I usually come up with $.017/ft for fuel, bands are the same per foot.
Those numbers work pretty good for me, if the logs are clean.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Brucer

David, I suspect your numbers will work out to .013 dollars per BF. If not, I definitely need to upgrade to a diesel ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!