iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Early JD 440

Started by JacksonBros, September 25, 2011, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacksonBros

Well im fairly new to this site but, 

Just got my very first skidder, being a john deere mechanic for several years after college, I like this particular model 440 because of the easy to fix synchro-range trans thats used in many ag tractors. This was an extremely good find I feel with it having super tires, new set of chains to go with it is and a fully rigged winch line. I only cut part time and on the side so pushing it to the limit of over loading it wont be a problem. Just gonna have some safe fun on it. Here are some pics let me know stuff about it that I may not know! I love to hear different things and learn from others.

Decked

Looks like nice machine! blade isn't all bent up..somebody was good to her. I had a '69 540...dam near put me in the poorhouse.

JacksonBros

It took many dissapointed trips and long wasted hours looking at junk machines but persistance pays off I spose. As for the 540's I looked at a couple and wow was they worn out hard...

snowstorm

what year is it? gotta be 66...67...? its not an A still has the single lever shifter. jd made a kit to change them over to 2 lever..........back in the 70's

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum JacksonBros.  Persistence does pay off, that is a nice looking piece of JD iron you got there 8) 8) The 440 is a great machine, small and agile, about as close as you get to leave no trace, unless you are using hayburners, or going small scalel a.k.a. logrite arch and 4 wheeler, (not as much fun as busting brush in a skidder, IMO).  Though the Garrett I have is about the same size, and equally as suited.  Myself coming from the upper Great Lakes region, until coming across the machine I have, hadn't heard of the Garrett name, though I was plenty familiar with Tree Farmer .  Funny how things come full circle sometimes.  You will have some good times with your 440. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treefarmer87

welcome to the forum, very nice JD 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JacksonBros

Well I ran the serial number by a guy I used to work with at JD and it comes out as a 66'. As for Garrett I have never heard of that untill now, I will have to look into what that machine looks like, sounds interesting.

mad murdock

Here are a couple quick ones for you of what the Garrett looks like.  They sold the Tree Farmer line to CanCar in late 1964, I think TF87's machine is a later 60's TreeFarmer C5 or some iteration of it.  Mine has 59hp ford diesel power, and a Germatic 8A winch.  Prolly a little smaller than the 440A, but not much.  I can easily drag 500-800 bd/ft hitches without straining the machine too much.  Garrett was not as well known all around like JD, but Dwight Garrett invented the articulated skidder in 1949, in Enumclaw, Wash.
He knew what he needed in the woods, and the rest is as the saying goes, "history".  BTW, I have always been a fan of the old 440's, they were the best IMO, for their size and what you could do with them, of JD's line.  Bigger machines can do more, but they make a bigger mess as well, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

snowstorm

Quote from: JacksonBros on September 26, 2011, 04:03:11 PM
Well I ran the serial number by a guy I used to work with at JD and it comes out as a 66'. As for Garrett I have never heard of that untill now, I will have to look into what that machine looks like, sounds interesting.
so its one of the first ones built. gas or diesel? if its diesel it should be the smaller motor188ci? the 219ci came out later

Bobus2003

Darn good lookin little 440.. I've got one and love it.

treefarmer87

i believe you are right about about my skidder
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JacksonBros

It is the diesel non turbo. I couldnt 100% tell you the ci, the serial number off the tag of the block i couldnt get an answer as to if it was original block or if someone has updated it cause the friend at john deere said back in those days he thought the numbers on the tag didnt exactly mean what it was for example the 4045, 6068 exc have that included in the serial number but my serial number is meaningless it seems as far as that goes, any clues?

acco1840

Nice machine mate!! Looks about the same size as my IH S7b. What size tires??

snowstorm

Quote from: JacksonBros on September 26, 2011, 08:10:19 PM
It is the diesel non turbo. I couldnt 100% tell you the ci, the serial number off the tag of the block i couldnt get an answer as to if it was original block or if someone has updated it cause the friend at john deere said back in those days he thought the numbers on the tag didnt exactly mean what it was for example the 4045, 6068 exc have that included in the serial number but my serial number is meaningless it seems as far as that goes, any clues?
should be a tag on the motor. seems like they were 59hp the A was 70hp

JacksonBros

Wondering if anyone knows but just was checking all the hubs tonight and noticed one that looks to have the epoxy repair that I am assuming was used because it had some play in it? Does anyone know about these style hubs and if I should be really concerned about this? All of the hubs are nice and tight on the axles but just noticed this and want to know what to look out for in the future. Thanks

snowstorm

Quote from: JacksonBros on September 27, 2011, 06:51:17 PM
Wondering if anyone knows but just was checking all the hubs tonight and noticed one that looks to have the epoxy repair that I am assuming was used because it had some play in it? Does anyone know about these style hubs and if I should be really concerned about this? All of the hubs are nice and tight on the axles but just noticed this and want to know what to look out for in the future. Thanks
i would be concerned if it didnt have expoxy. that was deeres fix back in the 70's. new hub set in plastic steel. didnt have any problems after that. could a new hub even be found if needed?

Bobus2003

All my Hubs have JB Weld on them

thumper

yup, if the weld is still there thats good. once the hub starts slopping it will soon strip the hub to axle..  usually a drill hole in the hub that was for filling the weld.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

redprospector

That's a good lookin' little 440!
I've got a 1973 model 440b. It get's used every day in my thinning operation.
I know what you mean about many disapointing trips, and wasted time looking at junk. When I bought mine it was a basket case. I had my doubts when I was putting it together, but after I put her to work I've never regreted choosing the 440.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

JacksonBros

Here is a pic in the middle of the painting process. I was taught by an older guy where I work how to paint old equip cheap but with professional results and it had worked amazing. You roll on the paint then directly "tip" the wet paint with a fine bristle paint brush and it blends into a solid gloss with no stroke marks or anything. Here she is only half done

mad murdock

wow!  nice technique there Jacksonbros!  that is looking migh T fine 8) 8)

beenthere

Looking good. Is it JD yellow paint?

And not sure how you can "roll" on paint?  it implies using a roller.  ::)

If it works, great. !!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JacksonBros

Just installed new factory seat pads I got from a JD warehouse that has been over head in storage for years! As for the paint color it right from JD and its Classic Jd Forestry/Construction Yellow

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

sprucebunny

Great looking machine  8) I hope it works well for you.

I learned the same painting technique for putting fine finishes on boats. I haven't had very good luck doing it with Rustolem, though. Might need to add a flow agent.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!