Anyone watchin the weather channel ???
  Another Storm headed right for Vero Beach, 8 miles south of here  ::) ::) :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

You better get to CR soon. Suspect there are no such things down there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DonE911

Oh yeah... another one in Ft. Pierce huh?  

I have a feeling its gonna be a long ten years for that area.  Did you get your house sold yet?  

Your welcome to come up here and stay with us, no need to sit through another hurricane.

leweee

Hang on to your hat Harold ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Fla._Deadheader

Have the house closing on FRIDAY  ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Don't bother mowing the yard. :D

DonE911

Thats funny... our closing is a week from Friday 8) we are doing it through the mail though.

Offer is good though, you want away from the hurricane your more than welcome here until your ready to head to CR.

Fla._Deadheader

YEAH, you're just wantin me to bring the Peterson, HUH  ::) :D :D :D

Appreciate the offer Don.

Tom, I mowed it yesterday, what there was of it.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Well you could bring it if you wanted to ::)

But you don't have to...

What'cha cut the grass fer.....  I had someone to brush hog our place once this year... the grass was chest high in most area's.  It'll be someone elses problem real soon I hope.

Fla._Deadheader

City Gestapo Officers  >:( >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

None of them kind in CR I guess.

crtreedude

Well, if it gets too long they declare it secondary forest and you no longer have to cut the grass - but the real cure is the horse.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Roxie

It looks like Katrina will get there before your closing Harold.   :'(
If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!   :-*
We're thinking of ya!   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Roxie.  :-\ :-\
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

I couldn't stand it any longer.... I checked out the storm.

Good news is you should be fine.  You'll be well north of the eye.  Should just be an all day summer thunderstorm with plenty of rain. 

Just dig out the rain jacket.

Did you see the news coverage of the lines at the gas station down in Dade county this morning? 

Wish I had a truckload of small generators... I'd take a trip down to Ft Lauderdale this morning.

Fla._Deadheader

The fools are draining the gas stations here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about PARANOID.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Just shows the power of the MEDIA   >:( >:( >:( >:(

The guys on the weather channel are spreading fear.  >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

You know I was in public safety for a long time...... 

no one speaks well of thier (TWC) "xpert"

If you look at the live interviews they do with Public Safety managers you can see the managers are trying to clear up all the fear TWC spreads. 

I remember when everyone ignored the media about hurricanes.....  not sure if it was better then or now,  at least now you can get people moving, but now so many people take flight that don't need to, that the people that do need to evacuate get stuck in a bottle neck on the highways and eventually run out of fuel or can't find anywhere to stay.

crtreedude

Harold,

Run for high ground! Wait a minute, there isn't any in Florida.  :-\

Ever wonder if enough Hurricanes sweep across Florida will it eventually be eroded down to a sandbar  ???

Fla._Deadheader

It IS a sandbar, Fred.  I'm gonna call ya later today. We gotta talk.  ;D ;D

The Weather Channel is REALLY getting worked up.  ::) ::) >:(

Safety is fine. THIS is not good. This will barely be a 70 MPH storm with a lot of rain, maybe  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Hey, don't forget there are many thousands of blue roofs still out there.

70mph will tear those off easily and they will clog the water runoff systems in a hurry, and Florida will be a much smaller sandbar for a week or two.  I wonder if thats what happened to Atlantis? :o

submarinesailor

Netscape news called it a monster storm. :D :D :D  At 70 MPH :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Florida is shutting down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

I can't believe that a storm of LESS than hurricane force Category 1 is causing all this PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

My house closing is cancelled until AT LEAST MONDAY  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Heard that I-10 will be closed to the Panhandle, if the winds reach 45 MPH  :o

Sebastian businesses are closing.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Grocery stores are EMPTY, Gas stations, EMPTY ?????????????????????

Wheres the SANITY ?????????????????????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

Good Luck FD,
I have just finished tearing down the last building "Mrs. Isabel" destroyed. I will start rebuilding that one in a few weeks. We are supposed to get a couple days of rain out that one first of the week.
Richard

beenthere

FD
Where's Sanity, you ask?  He's heading to CR  :)

Sorry to hear that the closing is cancelled. I agree with your 'plight', as there is so much hype now.  But you can count on it , that the evening news will have there 'crew' broadcasting from exactly where everyone else isn't supposed to be.

Most of the reason I don't watch it anymore.  >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DonE911

I'd say thats a classic state of Shell Shock.  State Wide it would seem.  

I could mail you a gallon of gas if you'd like.  Even with shipping charges the price would probably be the same  ???

Fla._Deadheader

South Florida got tore up some. We had rain, finally, and about 35-40 MPH wind.

It ain't looking too good for the North Florida folks.  Anyone needin to run, we still have the big old house, and the sale is tomorrow. Last chance to plunder through my stash.  ;D ;D
  Y'all are welcome, y'hear ???  ;) ;) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Thanx Harold.  Glad it didn't get bad there.  Y'all done had enough aggravation outta them storms! >:(

I'll be doing the same as always...going on with life and keeping an eye on it.  Probably just sit it out as usual, but I'll be ready to run if I have to.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

If ya believe them folks, they's talkin a category 3 by the time it gets to the Panhandle. Keep an eye out FER SHORE.   Good luck to Y'all.
   First, it is ridiculed;

billbobtlh

Geeze its alot easier to not panic when your not looking down the barrel.
Maybe it wont make the turn north for a couple of days.

DanG

It could do just about anything, at this point, but the weatherguessers have been pretty accurate with their landfall predictions lately. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DonE911

Glad everything worked out okay. Is your closing back on or still delayed.

All the good models are showing a turn up to the panhandle in a couple days.  Cat 3 by then would be a big strengthening for such a short run, but it happened last year.

Any FF member in the panhadle better fill up the gas tank today.....   if the lines are like they were down south it may take a while to fuel up.

submarinesailor

Just checked the forecast at the National Hurricane Center, www.nhc.noaa.gov, and they have it coming ashore between Port St. Joe and Pensacola – right over Panama City, sometime on Monday mid day.

DanG

Well, the ol' gal seems to have veered away from us, though it ain't too late for her to change her mind.  She's a Cat. four now, and appears to be heading for New Orleans.  I hear they are bailing out of there like rats from a sinking ship.  Those folks could sure use some good ol' ForestryForum prayers.

woodbowl

Us panhandle folks are breathing a bit easier now that Katrina is more west bound. I wish La. didn't have to take the blount of it. Latest projected track is now showing, dead into New Orleans around Mon. morning.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Katrina has been upgraded to a Category 5 storm! :o :o  Sustained winds of 160mph are bearing down on New Orleans within 24 hours.  They are expecting storm surges of 15-20 feet, and NO is below sea level!

Just for the record, only 3 Cat 5 storms have ever hit the US.  This is gonna be bad. :'(

Faron

New Orleans is the ONE place I wouldn't want to be during a hurricane, 100 miles inland or not!  Fact is, that river being higher than the city made me edgy when I was there, and the sun was shining then. :D  DanG, I can't imagine the damage that is going to occur if that storm hits at cat 5.  Do you think the old buildings in the French Quarter can survive that?  Between the winds, and the flooding, and the softining under the foundations.....
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DanG

If it hits direct, or slightly west of N O at Cat 5,  the place will never be the same.  If it hits east of the city, it won't be too devastating.  I've seen a lot of storms weaken considerably when they get real strong at sea.  They just seem to blow themselves out.  Hope that happens here!  Just saw the Mayor and the Governor on tv.  They're talking the possibility of 25' deep water in the streets.  Over 100,000 people without transportation.  They're pressing everything into service, and bringing in busses from elsewhere.

DonE911

Man.....  its gonna do some serious damage no matter where it hits now.

If it follows the tract they just put up, I'd be getting out of Mobil also.  The right side of this one is pushing a serious storm surge.

Fla._Deadheader

I DO believe that the FF's Resident Roofer, is gonna get a quality control inspection from Katrina.  :( :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Ok, so the Pres. has already signed disaster declarations for LA and MS, BEFORE the storm even hits.............huh ???
Winds are at 175mph.

Tom

That means that he has unleashed the resources to take care of folks that they know will need it.   It's a good thing that the wheels of government have already been put into motion. :)

DanG

Yeah Furb.  That releases a whole bunch of resources to get started in the recovery operations.  There is no doubt that there will be massive damage, and probably loss of life.  They're gonna need all the help they can get, just as fast as it can get there.

Two things need to happen to keep this from being catastrophic: The storm needs to weaken considerably, and the eye needs to pass east of New Orleans.

Tom

I don't see any reason why the DanG thing can't do a 180 and stall in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.  That would make my day.   It could spin out there to its heart's content.

redpowerd

so is everybody out of na'orlins? it looks like its headed that way.
hope avalancher is outta there.

wonder how many oil rigs its wiped out.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DonE911

The prez did the right thing.  Nothing worse for those local people trying to arrange emergency relief and not being able to get the Government's complete resources involved. ( been there and done that )

After FL getting hammered so bad last year, everyone has had a chance to learn from the mistakes made.  There was alot of good information passed at the last Nation HUrricane Conf. this season so hopefully the relief efforts will run much more smoothly.

I hope anyone in this ones path has already evacuated.

I heard on the radio that 100,000 people are trying to get into the superdome to weather the storm. How far below sealevel is that sucker??

brdmkr

Supposedly the superdome is above sea level.  I sure feel for those folks.  It is really looking like this one will be bad.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Mike_Barcaskey

God bless everyone down there, I hope you all make it through with just minor property damage.

Good Luck, you're in our prayers

now, after the storm when the lumber prices go up, we'll all be getting more for our logs and sawn lumber, right?
right?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

DouginUtah

Y'all understand what this is going to do to fuel prices?  Right!

Redpowerd, more important than oil rigs are the oil refineries. My understanding is there are several in the NO area. They are probably shut down right now. What is that going to do to supply? What if they get severely damaged?

Oil is a commodity that is traded on the NYMEX. Look what they are doing.
NYMEX Trading Hours
Sun 7:00 PM – 9:30 AM
Mon – Thu 3:15 PM – 9:30 AM
Do you think they have what is going to happen figured out...?

All my gas tanks are full.  ;D

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Furby

Look I'm not saying he did the wrong thing, but he could have those papers sitting on his desk ready to sign as soon as it actually caused the damage.
Anything can happen, and those $$$ are not going to help any more being signed 12 hours before the thing hits.
The way I see it, it's like shooting the horse BEFORE he breaks his leg, just because he's running straight towards a hole in the ground.

That being said, those of you out that way, hold onto your seats!

Tom

Actually, it's more like calling the vet a couple of hours before you shoot the horse.

His signing those papers got a lot of people into trucks and opened a lot of warehouses and called a lot of folks back from vacation.   They will be on the way tomorrow instead waiting 3 business days. :D

DanG

It is one of those formalities that have to be accomplished before certain things can happen.  Certain services cannot be activated until the Pres gives the word, such as FEMA and certain parts of the Military.  It has nothing to do with money.  That may not exist anymore when this is over. :-\  This is likely to be the worst catastrophy than we have seen in our lifetime.

Hmmmm.  Tom types faster than I do.

Corley5

I see she's packing sustained winds of 150mph with gusts to 200mph :o :(  I'm glad I've been to New Orleans because it's gonna be a different place after this :'( :(  Hope everybody that is still in the city has had his/her fair share of Hurricanes.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Furby, until you have witnessed one of these things firsthand, you have no idea what is about to take place.  Pictures on the boob tube just do not do justice to the actual devastation.

Maybe you have been around a Tornada area ???  Just try to imagine a Tornado area that is 100's of miles wide and long.

Hugo went 600 miles into the Carolina's and still completely devastated the area and killed many.

You can not possibly imagine no electricity, telephone, water, sewer, food, ice, A/C, fans, pet food, toilet paper, ANYTHING not existing, for MANY days, not to mention the LOOTERS  >:( >:( >:(.  

It is total chaos and Terror to many people that have moved into Hurricane territory, and then got an eye opening experience, AFTER the fact.  I would rather see the resources tapped before the need, rather than have to get the wheels of govt. started turning AFTER the fact.

There is not a single natural event that can compare with a category 4 Hurricane, let alone a 5 or 5+, like is being predicted.

I hope those in the Superdome make it, but, all bets are off in my mind.  :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Yep ... everything Deadheader said.

I guess an F5 tornado might be pretty bad, but it's there and gone fast compared to a hurricane.

With the hurricane you get to stress over it for up to a week.

Those folks in the superdome are siting up high... the facility director says field level will be deep underwater.

Anyone see the CNN interview with the guys from Grand Isle?? ( barrier island ).  They said they were ready to leave early because thier grandpa's taught them that if the oaks on the island don't make acorns, there's gonna be a hurricane. No acorns this year.  :o

jerry-m

Well,   I guess I am going in with our church chain saw crew... We will be going in with a Salvation Army food kitchen to clear road way and what ever else needs to be done to get them set up where they are needed... After they are set up we will get our orders to help with clearing downed trees & etc...   Will be there at least one week probabley longer... Keep us and everyone in your throughts and prays,   
   Thanks,   Jerry
Jerry

Fla._Deadheader

You're a good man, Jerry. Most do not realize how long it takes to cut your way into a devastated area. There is no place to pile debris, as it is everywhere.

The desperation of those foolish enough to stay, will play out in the long days to come.

We went through tough times last year, but, I still can not imagine what will be left when this storm passes.

If God has the power, he will be sorely tested for miracles on this occasion.  :( :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Let the young roosters do most of the work, Jerry.  You may be able, but according to the information that I have at my disposal, your're no spring chicken.   

Be Safe.

crtreedude

Back when I was a youngster I helped recover Corning in NY after a hurricane. It wasn't the rain, but the flooding that got to the city. I can't imagine how bad it is going to be in New Orleans this morning. And honestly, I don't ever want to experience it.

A couple of years ago I was working where a class 3 hurricane was coming ashore - I got in my car and got ahead of it and the crowds but it felt like the that hurricane was chasing me all the way home.

DonE911

Good Luck Jerry.

Just a word for the wise.... take more water... it doesn't matter how much you have its not enough.

I went to Fla's west coast only 2 hours after Hurricane Charlie went through.  I was taking a communications trailer as part of a mutual aid response.  The tree's over the road may be a minor issue.  We ran over and under many power lines, we drove around mobil homes that were blown into the road.  When we got to our destination there was nothing available.  We took water and food for a couple of days and that wasn't enough by far. 

There was no fuel either....   emergency vehicles got filled with hand pumps from 55 gal drums.

jerry-m

Thanks Guys,

Tom, You got that right... I will mostly be draging limbs and brush out of the way, keeping the saw chains sharp.etc..  Don't know how much sawing time I will get as we have a couple of young guys that are really gung ho with the saws...

Don, Thanks for the advice.. This is my first time to be involved so it will be a new exprience for me...
Their are a lot of guys that want to go and help but cain't get off their jobs... So it is mostly left up to us retired folks... Only 4 or 5 guys going with us at this time... We will leave East Texas on I- 20 at 11 am this morning... Our team went to Fla. and then to AL. for about 2 or 3 weeks last year, so I will take my cue from them...

Fla Deadheader,  Thanks for the thoughts... Good Luck getting to CR... I wonder if they have any natural disasters problems... The Treedude makes it sound almost like the Garden of Eden...
Jerry

crtreedude

Hey - perhaps it is - I mean, the Garden of Eden had a really nasty snake if I remember correctly.

Nope, it ain't paradise, but it is very nice. You do have earthquakes and volcanoes though - no hurricanes to speak of and rain storms at times that you wouldn't believe. The roads in some parts of the country are horrendous - but we have pretty good ones.

We really love living here - but it sure isn't for everyone. You don't have a lot of the things you have in the USA - and you learn to live without them. Sure makes it easier to live without spending a lot of money. Nothing really to spend it on besides land and tools.  :D

Of course you have to learn a new language, and you have to learn how to function in a totally different country - it is REALLY different. The longer I am here, the more I realize that.

They say for every 10 people who move here, 4 return to the USA after about 1 to 2 years. So it definitely isn't for everyone. You learn to get a long with people, or you give up and go back home. If you like challenges, this is the place for it. Those who move here thinking it will be a vacation are very disappointed, unless your idea of a vacation is experiencing a very different world.

DonE911

Jerry,  A few other things to remember to take.  Off (bug spray), your choice of pain killer take 2 big bottles, baby wipes ( remember no water ) Rubber boots, a GPS unit with streets programing ( there will be no road signs)  a big survival knife of some type.   There will be packs of wild dogs running around and in about a week they will be very hungry ( CNN and weather channel wont tell you about that ) be prepaired to protect yourself.  This is more of a problem if you go to a city as opposed to a rural area.

Take your bible!!!   

Fla._Deadheader

What DonE911 said. I never thought about that stuff. I also wanted to add fuel shortage.  There will be hardlt anything usable when you get there.  BE CAREFUL.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Sorry I'm still thinking of things.....

Extra spare tires, if you are leaving so soon, your probably going to have some flats. Plug kit will be good too....

If you wear glasses take an extra set... forget the contacts, you'll never have clean hands to take them out.  At least not until they get power back.  The flood water is not fit to bath in and don't use it to clean out any cuts or scrapes you may get.  Take your own first aid kits ( one per man ) the local services will be taxed for supplies for at least a few days.

Sorry if I am preaching.... just trying to make sure you have what you need.....  I've done this so many times, I feel like I should be loading my 4x4 and going to work.

OneWithWood

The latest images show the storm coming ashore just east of NO.  That will mitigate the damage to NO somewhat but it is still a major storm capable of major damage and disruption.  The Alabama and Mississippi shores look to get severely damaged.  Nature is an unforgiving force at times.
Something I have been wondering about and I know will not get covered by mainstream media - what is the plight of the Cajuns living up in the swamps?  Governament rescuers and money are unlikely to get to them.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DonE911

The roof is pealing off the Superdome with 10,000 people in it. Thats not good.  Its only the waterproof membrane so far.

The cajuns in the swamp wont see any support at all.  They will have to get out of the swamp and to distribution points to get help.  It's unlikely that authorities will get in he swamps for more than a week.   I know the people on the outskirts of the swamps in Florida didn't see help for a long time for many reasons.  One is that authorities are trying to help as many people as they can and that is in the cities and towns.... another reason is the swamps and roads in will be so blocked they can't get in there unless its by air.

Bro. Noble

My son-in-law who works for the forest service just got back from the boundary canoe area in N. Minn.  right on the Canadian line fighting fires.  He spent a couple of weeks in beautiful country with a good crew in perfect weather while being fed well.  Although the work was hard,  he had a wonderful time-----that's not always the case on these trips.  Yesterday evening they called and asked him if he wanted to take a tanker to Oregon.  He told them he would if they couldn't get someone else that was really wanting to.  Another guy wanted to.  After thinking about it,  he figures he'll soon be heading to New Orleans and sure wishes he had gone to Oregon :-\
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DonE911

Last year in FL we had several crews from the DOF from CO.

They were all young kids ( 18 -25 I guess ).  They worked like dogs and wouldn't take any kindness at all.  We tried to feed them or unload trucks so they could rest....  they wouldn't have it.   There are lots of good hard working people out there like that. 

jerry-m

Thanks for the additional advice Guys,

I had forgot a few of those things...  I never thought  about the Dogs.   Will be on my guard for them snakes, rats, etc...

Thanks, time to leave,   Jerry
Jerry

DonE911

Good luck and God bless Jerry

Roxie

Take care of yourself, Jerry!  Godspeed. 

Just read this on the weather channel:

A buoy 70 miles south of Dauphin Island, Alabama reported a 48-foot wave at 7 am CDT.
:o
Say when

sawguy21

I just looked at the weather network. It says NO is overcast with "light rain" ??? Just what do they consider light rain?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chris J

You folks in that neck of the woods take care of yourselves, and God speed you to safety and recovery. 

Tonight I'm going to rush home to watch the news, but I know that it's not going be good news  :-\.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

DanG

Maybe it just seems light after what they saw earlier. :D :D

I've thought about the "Cajuns" that live along the Bayous, too.  They are a very capable lot who are accustomed to taking care of themselves.  They are also used to having 20' of water in their "streets". :D :D  They all have boats, if they aren't actually living on one.  That being said, they are still in harm's way.  I wish them the best.

Right here, right now, we have a feeder band coming over us, and we are over 400 miles from the center.

Tom

We must have a feeder band going over us too.  I'm starved to death and we are farther away than you. :D

Teri

Tom....

You want me to whip you up a sandwich? When we get a gust of wind I'll throw it in the air and it will head in your direction.  ;D

Tom

That sounds good.  Crow will be fine.  I'm already full of baloney.  ;D

Teri

DonE911

Well there are some early pic's from NO, doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be.

Nothing from the shoreline yet.

Fla._Deadheader

Definitely looks like they Dodged a BIG Bullet.  8)  Flooding is getting bad, but, not heard of any deaths, yet  ::) ::)

Electric could be out for a month or longer.  :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

one death already contributed to the storm.  A FEMA member killed in storm induced car accident.  Only heard a short blurb on it.

Harrold, any of those pic's feel familiar??  Did your closing go off as planned.  Mine got put off becuase the buyers bank is in Lauderdale... no power and no puters.

Fla._Deadheader

Same here, Don. No closing, YET.  >:(  If they had just done their job on Thursday, I would be in a different home right now ::) ::)  They sent everyone home before noon, thursday.  Buyers bank is in Lauderdale, also.  >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

That stinks.

Where are you staying until you head for CR.  Ed gonna put you up for a while?

Wanna go haul some more hurricane debris while your waiting for your boat?

Fla._Deadheader

I would haul debris, only if I could mount an M-60 on the trailer.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm helping Teri get a place, with a "Seniors" spare room.  8) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

GareyD

I'm about 200 miles as the crow flies from the heart of the storm...the feeder bands started hitting here about an hour ago....Lotsa lightnin', torrential rain, gusty winds and tornader's...TV sez one just hit a couple of chicken houses about 3 miles south of the house...exploded the propane tank and hit a couple of cars drivin by on their way home from work :o :o
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

DanG

I can just see the News reports in the morning, when it starts raining chickens in Tennessee. :o :o 

Hang in there GareyD. Hope y'all made it through ok.

My daughter is in Birmingham.  I bet they're getting a good little blow, too.

tnlogger

naw dan it'll be possums  :D
gene

Rockn H

Who usually does the cleanup.  I mean, last year going through Mobile after the hurricane, they were talking on the radio about what the maximum the residents should be paying tree services for tree removal and debris cleanup.  Are there alot of tree services that come in and just go door to door?  My cousin in Mobile has a freind who owns a cleanup service that has a contract with one of the counties in that area.  What I'm trying to get at is what is the breakdown between the companies that have a gov. contract already for cleanup and the tree services that seem to go door to door?  Does each have a job.  Is there any logic as to how it's supposed to work?

DonE911

Tree Services with a contract for the local counties are responsible to assist with road clearing and the clean up of government properties.  They are unable to commit any resources to homeowners until they are released from the county emergency contract.  These contracts are usually set up on a yearly basis and counties are very selective and have huge insurance requirements. 

Ouside tree services are free to work ( door to door ) for home owners and although what they charge for work is not immediately regulated, if they are reported for price gowg'n they will be investigated and if found guilty they will wish they had never gone there to begin with. 

This is how it worked in my county. 

The crews there on federal ( FEMA ) contracts are there to collect debris that is on the roadside only.  Locals can often hook on to one of these FEMA contractors and haul debris with a trailer or whatever.  It seems that the contractors are making real good money, btu the locals that hook on don't do that well, but better than no work at all. Those crews can not remove debris from front yards off roofs ect. FEMA may not remove roadside debris from every disaster, although large disasters like FL last year and Katrina this time, they will pick up that bill.

All ( non pre-contracted ) crews are required to aquire a local license as soon as the County is able to issue one.  The fee is not large and its a fairly quick process, but you have to be a legit business and carry "x" $$ insurance and be able to prove an active policy.  My brother worked with one of these crews last year in FL, they locally bought 2 new F350's and had them completely paid for in a few weeks.  They stayed for over a month before heading up to the panhandle. This crew is currently in S FL again for Katrina clean up. My brother talked to them yesterday and they are headed for AL ( thier home state ) later this week.

Rockn H

DonE911, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to ask someone with more experience if I was on the right track.

DonE911

Rockn H,

Your welcome

after sitting and watching this one on TV I'm considering setting myself up with equipment, business license and insurance policy for the next storm ( there will be another ).   

Rockn H

Yeah, we are thinking about going down and subing under one of the contracted crews, waiting on a call back.  We were thinking of doing some door to door, but don't want to go without guaranteed work. :D  I've asked some other tree services here about insurance and they don't seem to have any.  So I'm sure our local insurance companies would need a while to figure out what we needed. ::)

Dan_Shade

I'd go down to help out if I could, having a crane would be a huge advantage in doing the work too.

actually, stuff like this would be good training for the army to get supplies to the front and test out logistics and all.

but what do I know....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Handiest thing I saw, was a skidsteer with clamshell type bucket, or someway to clamp the debris to raise it into a trailer.

Watchout for working with Contractors. They get qualified, and then can't get released from the job until it's ALL cleaned up. Pay is long time wait. They run out of money fast, and the govt pays the MAIN Contractor (Waste Management), in spurts. We waited 6 weeks to get PARTIAL pay, and then had deductions taken out. !!!!!!

Volunteering is good, IF you can afford the time to do it, AND are local. Long distance, I don't know.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Rockn H

FlaDh, we've got 2 bobcats with hydraulic brush bucket.  They have hydraulic arms that come down and compact-hold debris in bucket which is bars not solid plate steel.  A d-4 dozer and a couple of dump trailers.  Been trying to get intouch with friends down there that went in this mourning and nothing yet.  Maybe they can get in touch tonight.  Hard to move around with the curfews. :D

DonE911

I agree.... being a FEMA contractor would require deep pockets to begin with.  

Going in as an independant and complying with the local requirements would be a better deal for a small company.  You would work for individuals or possible a development organization instead of the government.  You would only be bound by a contract with your individual customers who only care about thier own mess.

The skidsteer with grapple bucket would be the must have item.

You could use that swinger to produce lumber out of the trunks and sell that off the trailer pretty quick. After Andrew you could sit for a week with no material to make even temporary repairs.  

DonE911

Rock

Sounds like you have the tools for the job, you can't get around the curfews just yet.. that will be a few more days at least.

Don't overlook the other requirements or you could find yourself out in a hurry.  In my county they were enforc'n the local licensing requirements about a week after they lifted the dusk to dawn curfews. Many guys got sent away be cause they didn't meet the requiment to work.   Didn't make since in alot of ways, but thats the way it was done. I'm sure it will be the same this time too, although its a defferent state.

You could probably do better by working outlying area, where little federal assistance will be available until the cities are under control.  The small towns will be less regulated for a longer period of time.

Rockn H

Don, good points.
Just got through watching the news.  Those folks in NO are really in trouble now.  The levis are breaking and the flood water is still rising.

DonE911

Yeah... it's gonna be a while before any citizen get back into NO. unless they are already inside.

Rock   sent you a pm

Thank You Sponsors!