iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring cutter

Started by flip, August 31, 2005, 11:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I will be building a house soon and want to use my own wood for the flooring (1/4 white oak).  What would be a good machine to do a limited amount of T and G cutting?  I'm not in business and don't need to make 200k bf of flooring-any ideas?

Thanks,

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Jeff

You can do the job with a good router and router table.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flip

I'm gonna get a good shaper table for other trim and what nots.  I knew that would work but ya know I'm kinda lazy and hate pushing boards :D  I'll try that before I get a 4 sided planer.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Minnesota_boy

In this area there are 3 (for sure) reputable firms that will do custom milling with machines designed for that purpose and at a reasonable cost.  You may have them in your area too if you know where to look.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

tongue and groove can also be made on a table saw.

Quartlow

I happen to have #45 stanly plane your welcome to use  :D :D :D

Since you all ready have a shaper buy a feeder, this sounds like an excuse for a new tool to me  ;)

I had to rip a pile of ash into 4 inch boards a while back for a guy, I borrowed a feeder from a friend. Works great when your working by yourself ripping 12 foot long boards

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=36-865
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Larry

The router in a table will sorta work but your gonna have a hard time finding true T&G flooring cutters and they won't last long running in a router.

Table saw is really going to be hard to get a good fit.  Did it once and wasn't happy with the results.

MB has the best idea...but not many around here and most won't run flooring as they would rather sell it to ya.

I've ran a lot of flooring with my 3 HP shaper.  Couple of essential ideas...run the groove first with the stick slightly over size.  Cut the tongue with the stick trapped tween the fence and the cutter.  This step actually sizes the stock to the proper width.  You HAVE to use a feeder to safely run it this way.  Skip the baby feeders...they might work for flooring but don't have nuff ooph for heavy cuts.  I cut the back relief with home made knives in the planer...3 sticks at a time.  I don't end match unless it's wide plank and than I'll stick a biscuit or two in.  Although labor intensive you get good results with the shaper and think of all the crown, casing, baseboards, and etc. you can make.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DonE911

Anyone ever try one of those  blades for the table saw.... table majic or something like that...I remember they are purple and advertised in woodworking mag's

D._Frederick

Molder head cutters "work" in a table saw, but they are made of high speed steel and don't stay sharp very long. Delta has the cutter head and you can get the required knives. I wouldn't want to feed short lengths, it is not a very safe operation.

pigman

I did the tongue and groove flooring in this bi-level loft with a molder in a table saw. It worked but I was glad the the floor was only 48sq ft. I had trouble holding the random with boards down when running the grooves.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!