iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Operators

Started by Jacar, August 08, 2003, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

Just curious how many solar kiln operators are out there.  I would like to hear some experiences and techniques you guys are using.  

I have had mine for about 1 1/2 years.  It is 14' long by 8' wide.  It can hold about 1000 bdft.  I have 2 fans hooked up to a thermostat.  Using remote probes for my moisture meter, I am able to monitor MC w/o going inside.  

I have run five loads thru so far and it has worked real well.  I learned a hard lesson though on SYP.  You need to keep all vents open and fans running 24/7 for the first week or so to keep the green mold from forming.  

Right now I have a small load of 8/4 mesquite.  It has been in there 25 days.  The last 10 days my peak temp has averaged 139.  The highest was yesterday @148.  Went in at 20%.  My probes are showing 13% no change for the last week.  I did some surface pin checks this AM and was getting 4- 6%.

I am wondering if my remote probes are reading incorrect.  I have a MiniLigno moisture meter.  The probes are about 3/16" OD and go into the board about1/4". Theoretically I should be getting an internal readout.  Does anyone have any experience w/ the remote probes?

Anxiously waiting for some replies!

Jacar

Jack Watkins

WoodChucker

Jacar,

I'm not a solar kiln owner as of yet, but I plan on building one. If you have any pics of your setup I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in seeing them. :)

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Jacar

WoodChucker,

I just got a new scanner.  I do have some pics.  I'll just have to figure out how to post them.  Does anybody know what is the best format to post pics: eg .jpg, .gif, etc.

Thanks

Jacar 8)
Jack Watkins

DanG

Jacar, I don't have a kiln or a moisture meter, but I have a fair working knowledge of DC resistance measurements. I've been a telephone man for 33+ years. :-/

The moisture meter is simply measuring a minute current flow through the moisture in the wood. With that moisture present, I would think that a film of corrosion would form around your probes, giving you a false reading. Try tapping the probes in a little further as you take a reading. If the reading changes, I was right. If it don't change, you'll know I'm just a bag of wind, and fergit I said anything. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodChucker

Jacar, the jpeg is the format thats used and if you look under the forum tools at the top of the page and then click on uploading pictures it will show you how they do it. :)

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Larry

I've been running a solar kiln since 94 drying 3 and if I'm lucky 4 loads a year usually around 1,000 BF per load.

Using remote probes is pretty common.  I have run into a couple of problems.  The first problem was I used lamp zip cord for my leads.  I found the insulation was absorbing water vapor.  The meter was reading in the low teens and the leads weren't even hooked up to the probes!  Corrected this by getting wire with high dielectric insulation and using separate leads.  Second problem was the wood dries faster around the probe than it does in the rest of the board giving a slightly drier reading than actual.

I still use remote probes but also oven dry.  When I think a load is 6-8 % I crawl around in the kiln with a pinless meter and try to get as many readings as possible.  After you get a little experience it really doesn't take a lot of checking to properly dry a load.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bigdogpc

Pixs would be great!  I expect to build one in the very near future but don't have one as yet.  From all I have read, these are the best way to go (more bang for least bucks).  

I haven't posted any pixs yet but the jpeg format will most likely be the best way to go (another post was more helpful than I am)

Looking forward to your pixs!!!

Jacar

I've got the pics scanned in the PC.  Hope to have some time tonight to figure out how to upload them.  Don't have any interior pics yet.  I'll work on that.

Jacar
Jack Watkins

WoodChucker

That's great, I've been waiting to see it!  ;D

R.T.

Jacar

Here goes my first try at pics.

Jack Watkins

Jacar

Well my second attempt has failed.  They uploaded but I could not cut and paste them to the post.  I'll try again Wed.  Getting late.

Jacar
Jack Watkins

Fla._Deadheader

Cut and paste??? ???  Just find yer pic in the gallery and open it in the left screen. Then scroll down to the "add pic to post" yellow text and click that. I goes on yer invisible clipboard. Click OK and close out the gallery (or minimize it). Go to the post and click "insert image code".  Bob's yer Uncle !!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jacar

I know I am not the most brilliant guy, but i have followed the instructions posted on loading pics and, Fla._Deadheader I tried to do what you said.

No luck.  The pics are in the gallery: kiln north.jpg, kiln south close.jpg  and kiln south far.jpg.

So until I figure out how to do it you can see them there.

Jacar
Jack Watkins

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T get excited, Jacar. I'm only tryin to hep ya. I just did what I posted, and here it is ???

Is yer Browser Netscape or I Explorer???  Netscape don't work too well here, sometimes.
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

Jacar
Are you using Netscape? If yes I can show you how to do it. I use Netscape and its easier tham IE after you figuar it out.
Richard

Carl_B

Just removed the second load of lumber for my kiln. Check the moisture on each row it was running 6 to 8 % untill the bottom row there the moisture was 10 to12 % I am using 1 inch stickers between each row also used 1 inch stickes off the floor I am going to raise the first row off the floor more the next time. What is everone else doing?     Thanks Carl B

Jacar

Fla._Deadheader,

I use I-explorer.  Don't know what I am doing wrong.  Hey, I think that is great you made it work.  I will have to try again tomorrow.

Carl, my stickers on the floor( screwed in) are about 1 1/4" high.  Can't say I have noticed a big difference between top and bottom MC's yet.   I am sure it would not hurt to go higher on the floor as long as you can make it work.  

Jack
Jack Watkins

Jacar

Does anybody have any ideas on how to charge for drying in a solar kiln.  I have used cost/bdft, but for small loads that doesn't work.  I have thought about using some formula for a day rate/bdft, but then you have no sun days, partly cloudy days etc.  8/4 takes longer than 4/4.  

I want to be fair, but not cut myself short.  When I have a load, I monitor and record MC's, max temps, wx conditions, etc.   ::)

I have two fans that are rated at .8 amps.  Does multiplying 220 v x .8amps x 2 fans =  352 watts/hour or .352kW?

If my formula is correct, then I can find out my Kw/hr charge and know my cost/hour to run my fans.   ??? ???

Thanks for any input.

Jacar 8)
Jack Watkins

Fla._Deadheader

Jacar, Your figures are correct.
  How long you been running your kiln???
  Around here, kilns are scarce and the only one I found, that does custom drying, is 40 cents/bdft. Others have posted figures running from 10 cents to 45 cents /bdft.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!