iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Shingles

Started by barbender, July 30, 2011, 07:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

How would you go about stacking tapered wood shingles to dry them? They will be green pine, and I want to put a finish on them before I put them up, so I would like to dry them for a while. I just don't want them to mold. I guess I could sticker them like lumber, I was just wondering if there was a simpler way so I am not reinventing the wheel.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

With stickers under the first row space tham apart just about the length of a shingle the put the next row between the first row. If you put the taper right there shouldn't be much contact between them, if inside run a fan or 2 on them .. This time of the year it might be better to sticker them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

When I was cutting alot of shingles I would avoid doing it in warm weather.Would alternate toe to butt to leave a little airspace to dry.Have seen guys make up a clothes line and hang them like laundry.Laundry method is good if you want to dip them,hang to dry then dip and rehang.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jdonovan

I was thinking about cutting 1" material drying it, and then re sawing it to make the shingle once original 1" had dried.

barbender

See now, that laundry line idea is just what I was talking about, something that would work good that I never would have thought of. These will be for walls, not a roof. I just want to be able to put my finish on them before I install them. Keep the ideas coming guys, thanks.

jason.weir

If you don't bundle them and keep them out of the sun they will curl and warp all to heck, but in the bundle they may mold if not kept in a cool dry place with some air flow.. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31263.0.html

I wonder if you could dip them in a weak water\bleach solution before bundling to keep the mold down..

I like Frank's suggestion to dip them in stain and let them dry before nailing them up, nothing like sealing up all 4 sides...

-J

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jason.weir

Quote from: LeeB on August 01, 2011, 12:27:58 PM
six

Yup, my bad - and the sealing the end grain is most important...

-J

barbender

Tanks Jason, I did a search on this but I didn't turn up that link. That's the stuff I'm looking for.

bandmiller2

Jason good to have you back,won't even ask why you were AWOL so long. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jason.weir

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 02, 2011, 07:25:06 AM
Jason good to have you back,won't even ask why you were AWOL so long. Frank C.

Thanks Frank...  Another little addition to the stable...  Future off-bearer....

-J

taylorsmissbeehaven

I spent a couple hours last night building a jig to cut wood shingles. I would love any input. on how y'all are cutting them. Anyone got pics?
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

beenthere

jason
She's a cutie. Learnin to drink lots of water for the sawmill jobs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jason.weir

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on August 02, 2011, 12:06:40 PM
I spent a couple hours last night building a jig to cut wood shingles. I would love any input. on how y'all are cutting them. Anyone got pics?

don't need no stinking jig just 1880's technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu2Ezj__hLE

Good on you - I can't imagine cutting them on a band mill...

-J

jason.weir

Quote from: beenthere on August 02, 2011, 12:35:45 PM
jason
She's a cutie. Learnin to drink lots of water for the sawmill jobs.

She's a cutie alright and I think she knows it - I can't wait for crazy teenage girl...

If she's like her mother - she will watch the sawmill job from inside with the AC on....  She does like riding the tractor though..

-J

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for the video Jason that's a great machine. Looks like you will have to hide the keys to the JD here before long!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

jason.weir

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on August 02, 2011, 03:50:15 PM
Thanks for the video Jason that's a great machine. Looks like you will have to hide the keys to the JD here before long!

Yup - it's her 5 year old brother that I've gotta worry about - he can reach the pedals and thinks he can drive anything with wheels...

-J

Thank You Sponsors!