iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

front wheel popped of tractor

Started by redbeard, August 07, 2011, 11:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

I was carrying a load of logs when front right wheel went flying! I was extremely lucky no one was hurt. The fellow helping me was close by and we just looked at each other and i shut it down and calmly said this isn't good now we have to hand load your truck! The JD parts man said they usually break at the top of the 90 degree elbow. As you can see its amazing how long it lasted there wasn't much iron holding it together. Last friday and saturday i was keeping Chris (Meadow Miller) loaded with big heavy Firs glad it didn't happen then with a crowd of people.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fishpharmer

Sometimes driving a tractor across a rough field I worry about an axle breaking.  You are indeed fortunate no one was hurt.  Is the new axle stronger?

EDIT- I meant to ask if new axle is engineered to be stronger then the original?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

redbeard

Yes ,  I didn't or couldn't afford the down time searching for a used one, it was a steep price of 268.00 with new berrings but i'am back to using it, I can't function without my tractor. It was probably cracked or defected for years. tractor is 1983 model.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Meadows Miller

gday Jeff and James

Well thats luck you or the other bloke was not hurt I noticed it was working  hard the other day but you gottado what you gotta do to get er done  ;)

James congrats on the new to you mill  ;) ;D 8) Im thinkn I might have to give you a free training lesson  ;) :D :D ;D ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ljmathias

So everybody seems to know already that James has a new mill, but he's not talking about it- embarrassed or just too busy learning how to use it?  Come on, James, get us some pictures and tell us the story- inquiring minds want to know, and ours are still inquiring to some degree.   ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

fishpharmer

That was steep, not sure parts availability of other color tractors, great thing about green tractors is if you got the green$ you can get the new green parts for most any model.

Thanks Chris, I am sure I need a training lesson.  ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

JD has been fordging that same spindle for 60 years.Where it broke almost surely their was a slag inclusion or crack when it was fordged. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chris Burchfield

Youngest son has an old IH, similar thing happened to him.  His broke where the outer turned area ended with the casting.  The inside of the outer bearing load area.  The pic does identify where there was not much holding.  Glad no one was hurt.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

MotorSeven

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 08, 2011, 07:19:22 AM
JD has been fordging that same spindle for 60 years.Where it broke almost surely their was a slag inclusion or crack when it was fordged. Frank C.

I agree. My neighbor broke a 2.5" splined shaft on a JD brush hog. The thing had a huge void in the cast...there were even little tiny stalagtites & stalagmites in there. JD did step up to the plate and replace it even though the warranty was out by 2 years. I think the total ended up being close to $2K.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Brucer

That looks like a classic fatigue failure.

There was probably some sort of stress point on the bottom of the spindle where it wasn't machined. Vibration from the rolling wheel caused a small crack to appear at the stress point. Over a period of time -- possible years -- the tip of the crack acted as a stress concentrator, causing the crack to spread gradually upward. The spreading crack is the smooth, semicircular portion on the bottom of the casting.

As the crack spread upward the remaining metal had to carry more than its share of the load so the stresses kept rising. And eventually the stresses got so high the metal just broke. That's the rough looking part on the top of the spindle. The metal literally tore apart.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

It is just very fortunate that no one was injured.  :)  Stuff can be repaired/fixed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawthemlogs

i can relate to the broken spindles......dads 2020 jd..  has broken 3 in past 4 years... last time just was raking hay and dropped into  small sink hole,, broke the hub to ..it does have fel for moving round bales of hay...tractor just overworked...
R.D.

Piston

Did you post this on tractorbynet.com as well?  If not, someone over there recently lost a front wheel too. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

redbeard

I do check the site out. But haven't posted anything yet. Lots of info there.

Piston

Redbeard,
I think you meant to say....

Quote from: redbeard on August 11, 2011, 10:52:05 AM
I do check the site out. But haven't posted anything yet. Lots of EXPENSIVE info there.

:D :D :D

I tend to find things on that site that I never knew existed for my tractor, then once I read about them, all of a sudden I NEED another attachment!

It's helped me a lot though, there is a lot of good info there....However, I don't find it as friendly and inviting as our FF.   8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!