iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2000 Ford V10 question

Started by Ironwood, August 13, 2010, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Hey folks, quick question. Anyone running a V10? I know they are gas hogs, but any issues otherwise? I found a truck run mostly on propane its entire life, so very little "dirty" build up on the engine. New manifolds, and a few coil packs. Also recent rebuild on the auto tranny (a $3500 bonus). Runs like a champ, quiet and smooth 170,000 miles.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Doug_D

Check for helicoils in the head.  The V10 likes to blow the plugs out.....

That is one thirsty motor.  I stole my buddies F350 one day to tow a M7040 kubota (5k-6k)...I was getting around 6 miles to the gallon :-(

It did pull great.  Lots of power.
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

ScottAR

My general impression is they are fairly trouble free, at least as trouble free as the 4.6/5.4 cousins...
expect to change a coil pack every now and again...  they list longer shank plugs to help with the blow out problems.
We don't sell many parts for em at work.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ahlkey

I have a 2002 V10 and had no problems with it.  I use it primarily to pull my large dump trailer when hauling gravel, dirt, firewood, etc... and it one powerful engine.  I have pulled some very heavy loads with it and it has never let me down.  On the negative side it logs gas and when pulling anything significant the best mileage is around 7 mph and when empty around 12 mph. 

D Hagens

I borrowed my buddies one time to pull a boat, a very big boat. Lot's of pulling power but when it comes to the gas it sucked back I'm glad it had full tanks when I borrowed it. He's had no problems with it besides the fact that he can't afford to drive it!

celliott

Quote from: ahlkey on August 15, 2010, 10:03:25 AMOn the negative side it logs gas and when pulling anything significant the best mileage is around 7 mph and when empty around 12 mph. 

I assume you mean mpg, miles per gallon not your speed, mph.  Any heavy duty truck, regardless of the engine, diesel, V10, or big V8 will not get decent mileage.  Our 2003 F250 with the base engine, 5.4 V8 just got 13.5 pulling our small popup camper to Maine, driving 50,55 most of the way.  we'd be lucky to get 14,15 without towing anything.  Once got 6mpg in the wintertime running in 4 wheel drive all the time, just back and forth to town, unplowed roads.  If you're buying a HD truck, mileage is obviously not a big concern. thats not why your buying it, right?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Ironwood

Thanks for the responses. I am currently on vacation. Using my new Droid, wow cool technology.   

The heavy duty trucks all cost $$$ to drive whether fuel or additives and injectors on diesels. I just need it to perform. One thing I see is cng compressed natural gas running vehicles soon and I can't convert my diesel to do that . Just s thought.  I got the bid to buy it so its is mine when I get home.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Forgot to mention, it is a 4 x 4  f-550 so nice truck for working
Ironwood

Bushgrinder

Quote from: celliott on August 18, 2010, 09:51:42 PM
Quote from: ahlkey on August 15, 2010, 10:03:25 AMOn the negative side it logs gas and when pulling anything significant the best mileage is around 7 mph and when empty around 12 mph. 

I assume you mean mpg, miles per gallon not your speed, mph.  Any heavy duty truck, regardless of the engine, diesel, V10, or big V8 will not get decent mileage.  Our 2003 F250 with the base engine, 5.4 V8 just got 13.5 pulling our small popup camper to Maine, driving 50,55 most of the way.  we'd be lucky to get 14,15 without towing anything.  Once got 6mpg in the wintertime running in 4 wheel drive all the time, just back and forth to town, unplowed roads.  If you're buying a HD truck, mileage is obviously not a big concern. thats not why your buying it, right?
Four years ago I bought a new 06' Dodge 2500  quadcab with Cummins diesel and the mileage was kinda low at first,only 18 mpg at 70 mph.
Now it has 50k miles and it has been getting 22 mpg on a regular basis. Just about to get her broke in.
Pulling a 25ft camper it only gets 14mpg.
Did I mention it is bone stock, auto trans. 4:10 rearend and 4x4?
Ford and Chevy engines can't even compare to the 5.9 Cummins diesel!

Ironwood

I won't care to argue but a similar truck (fairly light duty) not 12,000 empty , 7.3 can come close. Each of the diesel configurations has its place. And strong suits imho. The  cummings is a good engine, I just wouldn't want the rest of what comes with it unless it is a freighter chassis on say a 2002 frieghtliner fc80, ;)

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!