iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band saw mill project

Started by Vautour, January 13, 2019, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

The issue I see with the drag back is if the boards are a different thickness then you are  going to hang on the one you are back cutting if it is a thicker cut than the foward cut.  To the side defeats the purpose of cutting both ways I would think.  Maybe that's why double cuts are usually angled to the side with a take away conveyor.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

In regards to the urethane ,it is really tough stuff .We used them for traction rollers to move cast iron blocks for large v8 engine blocks at one time on roller conveyers in an automobile engine plant and they held up very well .Fact I used 4" rollers on a DIY seam former for standing seam roofing .

Vautour

got tagged yesterday.... don't know what this means.. can someone explain this?
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

charles mann

Quote from: Vautour on January 18, 2019, 06:54:31 AM
       got tagged yesterday.... don't know what this means.. can someone explain this?

It means that someone used your screen name to get your attention on something. 

@Vautour 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Vautour

Hi guys...i'm in the process of building my band guide wheels and wondering what size bearings i should use?... guild wheels are 2.5".. i have bearings with a 5/8 inside bore but could go bigger.. maybe at lest 3/4" ID...not sure what most manufactures use??... tks
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Bandmill Bandit

i will go dig through my parts bin and check but I think mine are 6202s  with 2 in each roller. There is a double race version that works better in my opinion but doesn't work well if you want to make them greaseble   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Vautour

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on March 05, 2019, 08:12:37 PM
i will go dig through my parts bin and check but I think mine are 6202s  with 2 in each roller. There is a double race version that works better in my opinion but doesn't work well if you want to make them greaseble  

.. tks Bandit... was checking what size 6202s are and seems to be 15mm or 5/8''... so since i had bigger rollers i bought the 6203s which are 3/4''...not sure how greaseble bearing work but looking at videos of cooks and think the two bearing are squezzed together and grease is pumped on both sides to catch the saw dust... i think :-\  

Bandmill Bandit

6203 s is what mine are. 

To make them greaseable you take out 2 of the seals and then install the bearing so that the missing seals are in the center of the roller seperated either by a spacer OR with the roller machined with a shoulder rim that the bearings seat against when installed from either side of the roller. drill the bolt to the proper depth and drill a small hole (1/8th is lots) through the the bolt to T to the horizontal hole and you got a grease able roller. 

grease in that location CAN be a more of a problem then a solution as over grease will wreck the seals and allow sawdust to get in the bearing. OVER GREASED bearing are a far more costly issue then permanently sealed HIGH GRADE bearings hands down.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Vautour

just finished turning my roller guides....@Bandit... that's what i was thinking of doing.. but you must have small hole in the spacer for the grease to go thru... i was also thinking about making small holes (seep holes)on the outside of the rubber seals as you grease you will release some pressure and add grease on both sides of the bearing assembly and with washers on both sides to hold the used grease there to captivate the saw dust...hmmm 

Magicman

I am wondering how any metal that is soft enough to turn will be hard enough to serve as blade guides?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Vautour

@ Magicman was thinking about that too.... gonna check my machinist friend about that... tks for bringing it up..  :)

millwright

There is a product called case nite that you can use to harden the OD of your rollers. It's a powder and you heat the steel then dip it in the powder. It works

Crusarius

I would stick with sealed bearings and be done with it. Most cars on the road have sealed bearings and have very little issues with quite a few more miles on them.

as for hard enough. anything will wear out they may just wear out a little sooner. I would not be overly concerned. you can always buy a set of rollers only.

What material did you use for the rollers?

Bandmill Bandit

Case hardening works well in a lot of applications and is not real difficult to do. The secret is getting the rollers to right temp EVENLY. can be done with a rosebud heating tip on a torch or a small forge. 

As for bearings, the best you can get in SKF or NTN are my go to bearings and what I keep in my parts box.

I may be possible to get 2 double row bearing in those rollers. NOT that you'd really need that but the mill may wear out before those bearings would if you did it that way. They definitely would not over heat easily.   

RAYAR

Nice mill project you're building. Just found your thread here and will be following it. I'm just an hour south of you.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Vautour

.... @ millwright... tks for info .. gonna check for that product "case nite"..and try that out...                                                                                                  .....@ Crusarius... just regular steel ...while i'm in the middle of building them ..not a big job to make them greasable... if the big guys in the industries are doing it on there high end mills there's got to be a reason... so i'm kinda leaning in that directions...                                                                                           .....@Bandit....tks for info... by the way are your rollers greasable??..                                                                                                                                      .....@RAYMAR....tks..nice to hear from another local...was thinking about starting a FORESTRY FORUM  gathering in this part of the world... hard for us eastern Canadian to travel to the US to attend a Pig Roast... maybe a hot dog roast for starts digin1.. just a though..we'll see if there is interest  

Larry

Kasenit has not been available for years.  A similar product is Cherry Red or Bownells sells some private label stuff.  None of it gives the deep case blade guides require.

There is a method that infuses carbon into steel by burning something like leather it in a sealed packing box.  Google it for directions.  You also might be able to find somebody that does it commercially.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

RAYAR

A local get together sounds like a great idea. I have family in the Richibucto / Saint-Charles / Aldouane areas.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Bandmill Bandit

No Vantour they are not. I switched back to sealled after a one season run of the greasables.
Too messy for my liking in that location. I just use the best possible grade marine type bearing I can get. Initial purchase is more but the longevity far out values that initial purchase.  

Vautour

....@Larry.... tks for that info..gonna look that up... my friend who heat treats steel all the time says if its mild steel there is not much you can do about it.. it has to be 01 steel... so ill probably leave them as is and make a new set when they wear out.............................................................................................   ....@Bandit...tks for that info... was hoping someone with that experience using greasable bearings and switching over to non greasable bearings just made my decison thumbs-up..............................................................................................  ....@ RAYAR ... gonna check with TIMFROM NB .. he's building a timber fram in Shediac area and maybe get somthing going in that area.. i'll keep you posted..    

RAYAR

Quote from: Vautour on March 13, 2019, 08:22:41 PM
....@ RAYAR ... gonna check with TIMFROM NB .. he's building a timber fram in Shediac area and maybe get somthing going in that area.. i'll keep you posted..    
Sounds great
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Vautour

Finally got my blade guides installed

adjustable 3/8'' x 6'' flat bar... just got flat washers each side of the bearing but got a little play so i'm gonna make small v grove pulleys with my bearings and should help to solidify my adjustable blade guide...   

RAYAR

Nice, you're making progress on your mill build.
I've got some different projects on the go for mine. The latest one I just started on is a crank type tooth setter. ;) Got some pieces for the body and some for the workings.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Crusarius

Rayar, I be very interested in a build thread on that.

Vautour

Tks RAYAR..... like to see pics of that tooth setter also..will be a future project for me also.. 

Thank You Sponsors!