iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

Thanks cwimer973, the color faded a lot after a few days. I will see what it looks like in a year after air dying, and how it looks finished. Yellow Birch grows throughout the Great Lakes region and northeast, so you should be able to find it. One nice feature is when the branch tips are crushed or chipped, they give off a sweet wintergreen scent (the deer on my land love to browse on it).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

AlpineCutter

MM,
Those were some nice looking logs! Feel free to haul one of those out here on your next hunting adventure.

Magicman

Yup, they fit in nicely with your comment about only having "Ponderosa, Doug Fir and Lodgepole".  Sorry but I did rub it in a bit.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Here are the logs that I will move to tomorrow.

There is not much to the 18 ERC logs but those 7 Walnut logs look really nice.  The largest butt is 27" and the smallest butt is 18".  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I loOk forward to seeing the inside of those walnuts! Are they going to be slabbed or made into lumber?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

I have no idea.  Depending upon what the customer wants to do, it may be Thursday before I get to them because those 18 ERC logs will take a while to saw. 

Lawg Dawg

Pine boards

Finally got me one of these...boy, that's a good tape!

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

LeeB

Those cedars don't look too shabby. A couple look like they may have a little heart rot though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Dawg,

That is the way to stack lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Quote from: Resonator on March 13, 2018, 09:15:01 AMOne nice feature is when the branch tips are crushed or chipped, they give off a sweet wintergreen scent (the deer on my land love to browse on it).

The tips also go really great with hot maple toffee - which is simply maple syrup that has been boiled down more.  We used to pour the toffee into the snow in a thin, long strip, then roll the toffee onto the tip of a  yellow birch branch and eat the whole thing like a lolly pop.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redbeard

Nice Western red cedar 36"small end 12' log yeild was good close to 1000 bf of 1x12 and other widths of side lumber. Using the Hud-son 60 to break down the big logs making 12" wide slabs then placing on B-20 to make accurate board thickness.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2018, 09:33:19 PM
Dawg,

That is the way to stack lumber.
Finally made lumber pallets based on Jim Rogers design.  I was stacking lumber like a dinosaur before. Thanks Corey

Alot of quality information on here! 
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Never seen a dinosaur stacking lumber :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is a fine WRC log there Jeff.  :o  Everything about it says WOW including your using that Hud-son to break it down without any loss.  :)

Deese

I returned yesterday and finished Saturday's sawing job. It should have only taken about 2 hours but the logs had different plans. 585 BF, a few more lag bolts, nails, and 2 ceramic insulators.  ::) Customer gladly covered the cost of the damaged blades.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WDH

I hate it when that happens.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Deese

I'm just looking forward to seeing Magicman's black walnut  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

Welp, when I got to the job this morning the 7 Walnut logs that I pictured in Reply #8903 had company and now there are 12 Walnut logs and the 18 ERC logs were now 22.

Five newly arrived Walnut logs in the foreground, with the 7 others in the background.  The original 7 logs are all 16' and the new ones are 10'.

I took a picture of the ERC lumber but I have no idea what happened to it.  No matter because it was just ho-hum stuff.

Two sets of 9/4X16' bookmatched live edge slabs.  The color is not very dark in these Walnut logs plus they are dry. 

Eight more 9/4X16' (not live edge) slabs plus various widths of 5/4X16' Walnut on the left with some  5/4 ERC on the right. 

Tomorrow I still have three 16' Walnut logs plus the five 10' fresh felled.  Surely the "new" logs will be darker.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Looking good. I take my big walnut log to the slabber tomorrow. 

Did your customer mention what he wanted with 16' walnut boards/slabs? Are they for a special project or did he just have logs that would return good boards/slabs that long?

I normally just cut mine 8' as that is about the longest I ever get a call for. Sold one today was 6' long X 18" wide X 8/4. I also sold him a couple of walnut heartwood 8' 2X4s he wanted for legs. I'd set them aside to make bench legs but as long as they are on my place they are generally for sale.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

He is calling the shots but there is no way that I would have left them at 16' because the log's sweep, etc. is taking away many bf.  He did say that the 9/4 stuff would be counter tops and he is specific with what he wants.

This is the first time that I have never sawn completely dry Walnuts logs.

WV Sawmiller

I have at least 2 long dead on the stump I think will be completely dry that I plan to cut this summer when I can get the ATV up there to get them out. Will see how they do. I figure the big limbs will become cookies. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

I like walnut cookies. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ToddsPoint

I milled a walnut log that had been in a barn for 30 yrs.  No problem milling but it had turned a reddish color and it had bugs.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WDH

Ambrosia beetles like walnut sapwood. 

Thank You Sponsors!