iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on September 15, 2013, 08:12:34 AM
CTL is slower than a buncher job almost all of the time.  Some advantages of ctl are less ground disturbance and the ability to leave an better stand because of maneuverability.  For pure production though a hot saw, grapple combo take the prize
X2, another thing is that CTL equipment can often still work in conditions that shut conventional equipment down.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

We have very few stands that wouldn't just be clear cut out right, so you have to be in nice stands to be able to justify it. And the wood has to be more valuable than pulp prices. They work here rain or shine. I've seen them aloud to destroy roads in wet conditions on public land to keep the wood flowing. We often get on a thinning block in the fall and some block is up for logging on the way in, so much for the road. Just think of the ruts on the land. We find them, when thinning, every one. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

1270d

That's unfortunate swamp donkey.  It doesn't do very well for our reputation.  The job I am currently cutting has a maximum rutting depth of eight inches, any more and we are shut down, or made to fix damage.  I try my best to lay good mat down in trails, but it is difficult when thinning to 80 ft2.

JLeBouton

Quote from: snowstorm on September 13, 2013, 08:17:22 PM
Quote from: CTL logger on September 13, 2013, 06:07:25 PM
I believe I saw that in escanaba last weekend isn't the barko equipment repainted Puma equipment?
it sure is

The two roller head on the machine is new. The machine itself has been tweaked.  The measuring system on the yellow four roller has been sorted out, and the first one is sold, and headed to Vermont.

snowstorm

Quote from: FABTEK on September 18, 2013, 08:11:35 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on September 13, 2013, 08:17:22 PM
Quote from: CTL logger on September 13, 2013, 06:07:25 PM
I believe I saw that in escanaba last weekend isn't the barko equipment repainted Puma equipment?
it sure is

The two roller head on the machine is new. The machine itself has been tweaked.  The measuring system on the yellow four roller has been sorted out, and the first one is sold, and headed to Vermont.
now its getting interesting. lets hear more

JLeBouton

The pictured Barko harvester is a new design. It's essentially nothing like the Puma. Took some video of the machine running. I'll try to get it uploaded soon. My videos are never all that impressive, as they are usually taken during the first few hours of the machine's life.

barbender

barbender

...and more- here's the machine at the end of the woods road, the road was "slashed in" as it's called up here. I threw a bunch of tops, limbs, and a few whole trees across the trail to keep vehicles out, as per the forester's request.

snowstorm

barbender

Thank you- I can't spend too much time tidying my piles, I try to make them so they are easy for the trucks to load out of. I hauled out of enough scrappy piles when I drove truck ;) I make them as neat as I can, as fast as I can :)

barbender

Aspen and white spruce pulpwood-

Job finished, last look back 8) I've been driving almost 2 hours one way for this one.

barbender

I don't know what the problem is, I keep posting the same pictures ::)

thecfarm

Are these the ones,
Pulpwood picture

Last look

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

Several truckloads in them piles.  Nice big landings make life convenient.  I'm some glad our pulpwood does not all have to be 8' anymore.  Most of ours is cut 16'.  I too would be very happy to see a job done that requires a 2 hr one way drive. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Yes, it's surprising how much wood is sitting in a pile. Even what looks like a small pile. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

keen

Nice pictures barbender, looks like a nice clean jobsite. If I could stack that good maybe my trucker would give me a better deal  :D

barbender

This was a job from this summer, our conventional crew cut this block (you can see the tree length piles in the background). They hand bucked the red pine logs and I forwarded them to the landing since I was on the same job. Pine markets are such in our area that logs don't pay as well as stud bolts, so if it is less than the 20" Max diameter that Potlatch accepts, it gets cut to 100" and sent to them. So all of these are over 20", 12-20' long. Poston, eat your heart out  ;D

barbender

A few more- conventional landing, JD limber, JD 748 skidder, and a Cat skidder, I don't remember the model.

The Cat grabbing a small bunch as I forward wood out behind him, it's fairly unusual for us to work next to each other like this.

barbender

Not all days are nice piles and big landings :(

It's not a big deal blowing a hydraulic line on the crane, but I sure dread the ones under the cab in the belly pan. It was about 95° that day, I know that won't get any sympathy from the southern members, but that's too hot for people that spend half the year below freezing ::)

OneWithWood

Too hot to be messing with hydraulics.  What a sweaty job...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pineywoods

At least you were smart enough to scrounge up a hunk of cardboard to lie on while crawling around underneath. Nothing like wallowing around in hot oil soaked sand.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Your right Piney, once my clothes get "hydraulic mud" on them they usually go in the garbage ::) So, it is nice to have something to lay on. That particular hose was the main supply line going to the valve block that feeds the crane functions, probably about 10 gallons sprayed out in the belly pan. I really hate losing toxic fluids on the ground like that, but there is really way to recover it when it happens that quickly :(

EricR

my JD 350b and international 504 with primero trailer

barbender

That looks like a nice set up, EricR. Do you cut for yourself, firewood or a sawmill?

Thank You Sponsors!