iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

That sure is a nice looking poplar log.  Funny about the missing band!!  Your post made me suddenly realize that I have never had an ephiphany.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is that a Snow Load shed?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SawyerTed

"I realized the design of my mill is such that it saws better with a blade installed."

I haven't tried it the other way, YET!    
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside logger on February 22, 2018, 08:25:31 PMYour post made me suddenly realize that I have never had an ephiphany.  
Sounds like you just had one. :D

I don't think this even included the butt log. If it did it may be one that uprooted in a storm last winter. I know I still have the top off that uprooted tree. May be 1-2 more saw logs and rest is sticker material or such. I probably saved it down to 6" top. Can always use it for firewood. Cutting them to around 25' lets me cut 2 12's as today or 3-8's or a 16 & and an 8. It just gets to be a factor of how long a log I can pull on our steep slopes with my ATV and log arch. Add all the mud we have now it gets even harder. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

David,

It has help up to all the snow we've had since I built it. The one on the right is my hay barn with added on boat (now tractor) shed and recently 6' mantel/slab storage. I think in really bad weather the PPB's all hold hands to keep it from falling. :D

Wood storage shed on left is 14X62 with 3 bays. Made with black locust uprights, 2X6 rafters on 16" centers and used tin off a torn down barn and all my initial practice lumber. I don't have over $600-$700 in it and half of that is tin and rest is hardware where I keep adding shelves and such to go vertical.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Lol, I've never been to West Virginia, but I'll looks like mud accumulation like I do. We typically get a lot of rain and very little cold, but we're having our one week of cold this week. 
Typically I don't mind jury duty because the company I work for pays for the time I miss while serving. But in March my days off pretty much all fall during the week. So, I won't get paid or be able to saw.....I might have to point at the defendant and laugh like a crazy man. Maybe the defense attorney will send me home 🤓
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

Quote from: Crossroads on February 23, 2018, 12:42:42 AMI might have to point at the defendant and laugh like a crazy man. Maybe the defense attorney will send me home

Just tell the defense attorney that if his client is in court, then for sure he is guilty - that should get you excused.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Lol, that would most likely do it. I'll just do my civic duty though. I find the process interesting to a point. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 22, 2018, 07:38:06 PMI realized the design of my mill is such that it saws better with a blade installed.

Customers ask me about that sometimes when I'm setting up the mill. If I haven't had enough coffee, I tell them it is a new style that cuts with a laser beam.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

My new customers are often confused because there is never a blade on the sawmill when I arrive.  When I finally open the blade box many will say; "I was wondering where the blade was"?  Of course I always have fun uncoiling and coiling the blades.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Mostly just cleaning up around my "log yard" a little today. Sawed one 6' walnut into 8/4 live edge slabs and 5 little poplar tops. Nothing out of them over a 1X6 and the walnut seemed to have a record amount of sap wood for its size and then had a big pith crack. End up with about 222 bf total for the afternoon.

Now I know what has been moving my slab pile. Blackjack chewing poplar bark.

Pretty if muddy walnut log. Yielded 7 - 8/4 X6' LE slabs but a lot of sapwood.

Poplar tops. There were 2 more as bad or worse than these. Nothing over a 1X6 out of them.

More supervision today. Sampson checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes.
Howard Green

WLC

No sawing yet, but did manage to get the sawmill dug out of the snow this afternoon.  With the longer days and the sun starting to get higher in the sky, it won't be long before I can crank her up and get back to it.  Already have a pile of spruce logs waiting on me that I drug out last fall.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Andries

Same here WLC.
The days are getting longer and the sun is warmer.
Spent the day organizing the log yard and had to OPEN a window on the loader.
It was getting too hot in the cab!
That hasn't happened for four months!  :D  :D

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

Andries, I enjoy seeing your Ford tractor every time you post a picture of it.  Those tractors lift a lot for their horsepower.  It has been in the high 80's here all week and the oak pollen is flying.  Send us a shot of cold weather.
Caveman

Magicman

83° here yesterday and the Pine pollen pods are just before turning yellow.  The pollen will be flying next week.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

It wasn't as bad as the picture looks.
It was worse.  :o  :D  
Won't be any pollen floating around here until  . . .  June?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

The cedar pollen started here today.  Took a couple of drifts before I figured out what it was, thought it was smoke at first but no smell, then I looked up wind of where I was standing.  

My persimmon trees are starting to break the buds open today too, willows yesterday or the day before.  Last two years all my fruit broke early and got hit with killer frosts in March - hoping this year is different.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Ithe juniper trees here will be exploding in clouds of yellow pollen in about 3 months. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WLC

Quote from: Andries on February 23, 2018, 10:35:21 PM
Same here WLC.
The days are getting longer and the sun is warmer.
Spent the day organizing the log yard and had to OPEN a window on the loader.
It was getting too hot in the cab!
That hasn't happened for four months!  :D  :D

???  
Rub it in with having that cab. :)  It was in the mid-upper 20's here today. I spent most of the afternoon outside enjoying the sun while I was working on getting rid of the last snowfall we got.  Got on the tractor to start digging the sawmill out just before the sun started down.  I was a little cool by the time I got done as the temp dropped like a rock when the sun set.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

DPatton

Quote from: Darrel on February 23, 2018, 11:28:30 PM
Ithe juniper trees here will be exploding in clouds of yellow pollen in about 3 months.
My allergies are telling me the junipers here are starting to pollinate too. DanG things will really set me off here in a few weeks!

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

WV,

Do you find a lot of stress in those small, knotty poplar logs?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Yes. They want to rise up and go thick and thin on you. One whole log (about 4-5 boards :D) ended up in the slab pile and the boards were so ugly. I might change my mind and go get them out (If Blackjack doesn't eat them first) and cut them in to short pieces and make sawhorses or such. Anything 3' long will make a decent sawhorse. Below is a pretty decent sawhorse design.
Howard Green

Brad_bb

I just finished sawing 3888 BF of 2x8 Ash boards for barn stall and interior walls. 27 bundles of 12 boards each.  It took me since beginning of January.  I mill about 3 days a week with my LT15go.  About  40 percent of the logs had a couple nails.  Two logs had 18-20 nails.  Nails really slow you down.  I didn't let any of them beat me though.  They got sawed whether they liked it or not. 

I had an equal amount sawn by another sawyer with an LT50 all hydraulic.  My logs were split in two locations three hours apart and it was winter.  We also needed to get some wood in the kiln to get the project started. So it made more sense to have him saw those logs by him.  He's set up milling inside at his place like I am at my place.  He has 2500 BF that will come out of his Kiln on Monday.  And here is what he cut that isn't dried.  This remainder of his plus everything I've cut will go to a bigger mill next week for Kiln drying and then machining.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Very professionally done Brad.  smiley_thumbsup

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 24, 2018, 10:05:32 AMI just finished sawing 3888 BF

I just figured it up by measuring the photo. I came up with 3886. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!