Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Downstream,

thumbs-up thumbs-up thumbs-up

Unbelievable!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JRWoodchuck

This one is a little less gnarly closer to the cream of the crop. More 1x12's almost completely clear beautiful straight grain. Ill get a couple photos this afternoon.

Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

grouch

That must be the model used in all those diagrams for sawing logs. All this time I thought the perfectly cylindrical log only existed in those drawings.
Find something to do that interests you.

btulloh

Nice log.  8) 

What's the nature of tamarack?   I don't expect to ever see any.  Except on the FF.
HM126

OffGrid973

Got this oak on the mill today and darn them boards came out big, heavy and purdy.  The 6x6 underneath are making up the base and a cross beam will tie them together.  Thinking two legs may not be enough but we will see once 1/2 the moisture dries out of these monsters.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I need to borrow your fan Chris.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

Milled up some 40" old growth western red cedar logs into 10x10 posts and alot of 1x12 . Had a first with the Hud-Son 60 just as exited the center cut on the pith had a real bad pinch that actually stopped the diesel, luckily the teeth barley exited the cut so I was able to find another day saving use for the far reach fork lift.

also had a nice wack of clear 1x12 boards. The Hud-Son 60 sure makes nice cants for the TK B-30 hardly have any waste, especially trimmings go to table saw for old growth 

cedar drying sticks are the best
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Wow Jeff, that Hud-Son 60 is a brute and those slabs are fine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

One of the last logs on this fence rail job was very nice except that some 12 to 14' up from the butt cut, I sawed through a very long screw:

I did manage to twist it out:

The customer was suppose to show up yesterday to pick up 80 pieces I had ready. He cancelled the balance of his order which was 62 pieces left to finish his order of 300 pieces.

I was glad he cancelled. Then he emailed me and said he'd take the balance if I wanted to make it. I told him I already moved on to doing some oak for other customers who have been waiting for a while to get their orders.

Jim Rogers
PS. he's suppose to send me a picture of the fence rails up. He told me he over estimated the number of sections he needed.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Fence rail customer just sent me this photo of the fence rails in place around three paddocks:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

JRWoodchuck

Quote from: btulloh on July 11, 2017, 04:20:43 PM
Nice log.  8) 

What's the nature of tamarack?   I don't expect to ever see any.  Except on the FF.

The upper logs usually behave really well. The butt log in my experiences have been a danG pain in the butt! Really pitchy and dense for a soft wood. It's the best wood we have for structural purposes as well as firewood.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Magicman

Even while in Maine, the phone keeps ringing.  A customer called yesterday with twenty 20' Cypress logs.  That makes the third job since we have been traveling.  That plus it is HOT at home.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Magicman on July 14, 2017, 07:33:56 AM
Even while in Maine, the phone keeps ringing.  A customer called yesterday with twenty 20' Cypress logs.  That makes the third job since we have been traveling.  That plus it is HOT at home.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun
Is your mill set up to handle a 20' log or will you have to cut them down to a more manageable length?
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Magicman

I can saw 20½'.  Some of these will be sawn full length and some shortened.  He is sending me a cut list.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Magicman on July 14, 2017, 05:51:06 PM
I can saw 20½'.  Some of these will be sawn full length and some shortened.  He is sending me a cut list.
Is there a lot of demand for lumber that long or has your capability just grown over the years?  I need some 22' beams for my barn but aside from that I can't think of any time I've needed lumber over 16-18 foot.
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

LeeB

You can always cut a board shorter but you just can not cut one longer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

redprospector

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 14, 2017, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Magicman on July 14, 2017, 05:51:06 PM
Is there a lot of demand for lumber that long or has your capability just grown over the years?  I need some 22' beams for my barn but aside from that I can't think of any time I've needed lumber over 16-18 foot.
I can't speak for Magicman, but long lumber and beams is a big part of what I do. The longer the lumber, the higher the price. I get tickled at people that order 24' lumber, and have to cut it down so they can haul it.  ;D
I'm working on 16' and 20' beams now. Next order has some as long as 26'.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

I am sure that I can produce whatever he wants.  Sawing long on Cypress can leave waste because of the taper.  Everything will depend upon his cut list.

fishfighter

Lynn, you are right. It's been super HOT here. Only good thing is that every afternoon, we been getting rain which helps cool things down.

Magicman

It was 43° here at Mooseherder's place yesterday morning but a sweltering 56° this morning.   :o

caveman

I  not know exactly how hot it was where JMoore and I were working today but it was probably above 985° F.  He had sweat dripping like rain off the brim of his cap and began seeing double.  I was so hot I began to get chills about 2:30.  We stopped for lunch at a nearby McDonalds and soaked up their cold air.

A fellow called me a few days ago while I was at FFA Forestry camp.  He had gotten my number from Lakeland Hardwood Lumber.  He said that he had 25 pine trees on a lot that he is clearing to build a house and said we could have them if we wanted them.  Usually, when I get calls like this folks want me to pay them to cut down their rotten water oaks.  John (JMoore) works less than a mile from the place and stopped by to assess the trees.  He sent me a picture or two.  The looked to all be longleaf pines and several were flat topped which worried me a little because of potential heart rot.  We felled 18 or so today and only one had about an inch of rot in the pith of the butt log. 

My Husqvarna 359 broke early in the morning at my JB Weld repair that had held for a year or so.  There was a topic in the chainsaw section about logging with a 50cc saw-well that is what we had left (Husqvarna 545).  It does not cut as fast as the 359 but with a sharp chain it continues to impress me.

After pulling the logs and the tractor home, we unloaded the logs and dumped them in my pond to try to avoid blue stain and ambrosia beetle holes.  Some of these logs are really nice.  We will try to fell the remaining seven trees.  Several of the trees we left stumps 3' or more so that the owner could get leverage to get the stumps out with an excavator.  The ones that were not where the house and pool are to go we cut as low as we could.   

and then we probably have two or three trips hauling logs home tomorrow.
Caveman

Darrel

Work is fun but hot takes the fun out of it. Glad you were able to get the logs.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Sixacresand

A miserably, hot job, Caveman.  Nice load of logs.  Good pictures.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Those will saw out some very fine pine lumber.  That trailer looks like it might have got a little hot, too  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!