iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you know you wanted to be a Forester?

Started by savage, November 25, 2018, 01:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savage

Hi everyone! Been reading this forum for the last little while and finally decided to join up and ask some questions. So, like the title says, how did you know you wanted to be a Forester? 

I ask this because after 10 years in Human Resources I am back to school to change my path. Currently I am in a computer science program and I feel like it's not for me. I'm very tech savvy, but it's just not something I want to do all day; I'd like to escape the office a bit more and be less sedentary. I've been looking hard at switching to the Forest Management program that leads to the RPF designation. It sounds really interesting and the more I look at the job the more its pulling me. I'm also located in BC so finding work shouldnt be hard either (I would think).

I can honestly say that I dont enjoy a great many things...but I love being out in the woods. I just feel at home there...it could be pissing rain and freezing and I would find myself sitting in my office staring out the window wishing I was in it. Not to glorify working in those conditions, I have worked outdoors before and I know it's not always awesome...but I was a hell of alot happier hauling lumber and digging ditches in all conditions than I am now being chained to a desk all day.

I guess my point is that this would be a completely different path for me, which is great, but at the same time it's hard for me to know it's the "right" path. I also always worry about starting over in my 30's...probably 40 by the time I grad. I dont know if that would be a hindrance.

So how did you come into this work? How did you know it was right for you? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I weigh this decision. Thanks!

GullyBog

I didn't know I wanted to be a forester, I grew up on a farm and the only woods were miles away.  I got started cutting trees in yards, then after a summer working in a chestnut orchard I went to college and majored in forestry.  I'm in my late thirties and have been cruising timber for fifteen years.  I love what I do, it's a little different every day.  Strangely enough I'm looking at greener grass on your side of the fence.  It seems like easy money and what I'm doing now isn't easy.  It's a tough job and that's coming from someone who works in a mild climate without any alligators.  There's also a lot of windshield (driving) time so it is still halfway a desk job  :D.  I don't think your age is as important as attitude.  Some folks just aren't willing to spend a day outside unless the weather's nice and a lot of those folks are younger than me.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Texas Ranger

I grew up all over the place, from Utah to Ohio, cities, towns and country, I was at home in the country, particularly the woods.  Seemed natural to me, not so much my folks, but, been doing it now for some 55 years.  Would not change a day.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

savage

Quote from: GullyBog on November 25, 2018, 08:41:10 AM
I didn't know I wanted to be a forester, I grew up on a farm and the only woods were miles away.  I got started cutting trees in yards, then after a summer working in a chestnut orchard I went to college and majored in forestry.  I'm in my late thirties and have been cruising timber for fifteen years.  I love what I do, it's a little different every day.  Strangely enough I'm looking at greener grass on your side of the fence.  It seems like easy money and what I'm doing now isn't easy.  It's a tough job and that's coming from someone who works in a mild climate without any alligators.  There's also a lot of windshield (driving) time so it is still halfway a desk job  :D.  I don't think your age is as important as attitude.  Some folks just aren't willing to spend a day outside unless the weather's nice and a lot of those folks are younger than me.
LOL the grass is always greener right? I do remember thinking when I was working outside how nice it would be to sit in a cozy warm office. It has never really sat well with me though. I only really stayed with it so long because it was what I "should" do. Lots of people would have loved my job; it was cushy. That said I like to work hard and get things done and sitting in a government office is pretty much the polar opposite :).
I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I prefer it. Lucky for me being on the west coast also means it's never really unbearably hot or cold....though there is a ton of rain, but I've come to like it.
I could put it this way...since I've been in an office I have been miserable pretty much the entire time and I have missed work regularly...I had tons of leave and I took advantage of every minute of it.
When I was working in a lumber yard I was outside all day, tired from from working hard, but fit and happy. There was a point where they actually ran out of staff and not only did I never miss a day, I worked 2 months straight without days off regularly. Didnt bother me.
If I had to do that in my last job I'd seriously off myself.

thecfarm

Glad you joined. Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your career change.
I am a very firm believer you have to be happy with your job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

I grew up in a small town in Michigan's U.P. within the Ottawa National Forest where iron mining and logging were the major livelihoods. I had a lot of exposure to private industrial foresters, State and U.S. Forest Service foresters. I was most impressed with the diversity of the USFS and it was hard to miss their green trucks in the local forest. The movie "The Red Sky's of Montana" with Richard Widmark also got my interest. 

I went in the Navy at age 17 and served as a combat corpsman with the Fleet Marine Force getting out in 1956 as a Korean War Veteran. I then went back home and worked in the iron mines for awhile, but saw no future in that. I them worked for the USFS for a couple summers and then with the GI Bill went on to Forestry School at Michigan Tech. University and received a bachelors degree in forestry.

I then spent 38 years with the USFS and now 24 years as a consulting forester after retiring from the USFS. Just turned age 83 yesterday and still at it, but walking slower.

Though forester's do get outdoors, there is also a lot of office work associated with forestry, especially as you "go up the ladder" in supervision and management. However there are the outdoor days to always look forward to  in all kinds of weather, just less of them.

~Ron

timberking

I grew up in central Arkansas that was a hub of International Paper timberland and mills.  My mind was more on wildlife management but after a semester changed major.  Actually, the foresters were having more fun and I was attracted to the culture.

WDH

It all started with a keen interest in biology.  Once I found out that I could study the biology of the forest,  it fit me like a hand in a glove.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wudman

The only things in my neighborhood were farming, forestry, and textiles.  We went broke farming.  The bottom fell out of the hog market.  I spent my childhood chasing wild black angus cows all over the county and I'd had my fill of tobacco by the time I was 17.  I never worked in textiles, but that went belly up anyway.....so I kind of backed into forestry.  If Deadliest Catch was on TV when I was a kid, I would have ended up fighting fire in the summer and fishing in the winter.  Guess things worked out ok this way.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!