iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wondering what to bid on this ??

Started by Madman_Mark, August 05, 2010, 08:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

Im going to bid on a small job which involves cutting the brush along the side of a road and in the ditches in and around some "cottage country". There are 12 km's of dirt road with maybe 30 cottage/home owners living in there. I'll be doing this with a Stihl FS 130 brush saw. 90% of it is less then 1 inch in diameter and its not growing too thick in most places. It was all cut about 3 or 4 years ago. I should be able to do at least 1 km a day I think. For those of you with experience would you charge by the hour or a set price. I need to make $200 a day to make it worth my while. Give me some input plaese and thank you. Also when I say I think I can do 1 km a day that only includes 1 side of the road,not the other.......so the 12 kms I mentioned is more like 24 km's when you include both sides of the road,thanks.

Ron Wenrich

I can't help you out on the price.  But, over here, I've seen some guys use sickle bar mowers and others use brush hogs to cut that kind of stuff.  Sure would be a lot quicker.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sjfarkas

It sounds like you think that you could do it in 24 days.  I would be safe and say 30 days so that would be $6k.  Make sure they understand what you plan to do for that money.  If your unsure about them coming back and saying "what about that tree" then you should do it by the hour.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ed_K

I'd go by the hr. @ $30. per.It's real back breaking work and let the owners know it. I found carbide tooth blades stand up better,you can touch a rock and still cut till break time and then change it out.
Ed K

aksawyer

I bid a similiar job to that from the local borough.Seven others bid also at most of the bids were around $300.a mile.the swath was estamated at70 ft wide counting both 35ft.sides of the road.I got the bid because I bid $200..They all bid it at a 34 day job.I bid it at 20 day job hoping to do 2 miles a day.Which would give me a few days of trial and error.I rented a brush cutter for my Thomas skid steer and finished in 11 days with two days of coming back and hand cutting larger trees and stacking them up.Aksawyer... good luck let us know how it went....

ljmathias

aksawyer: did you get paid for 11 days or for the number you bid?  Sounds like pretty rough work for that price, and down here in Mississippi we tend to use convict crews or big outfits with all the bells and whistles to clear the main highways.  Seems like they went through the state in the last few years (since Katrina) and cleared a bunch, hoping (I guess) not to have as bad a time with roads snarled up when the next hurricane blows through (any day now).  Problem with another Katrina happening is it won't even cool things down after- rain during, sure, and lots of wind, but just as hot and humid after as before, so what's the benefit, other than thousands of downed trees to whack away at?  Life is good!   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!