iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log i.d.

Started by Bigc1989, April 27, 2018, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

Got a customer im gonna saw for hes debating on getting this one sawed depending what it is. Its been down for a year. This is the top of the tree, he thinks its some kind of nut tree. Anybody know? Thanks in advance!

WDH

It does look like hickory.  Could also be ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bigc1989

I actually thought it looked like ash but he was pretty positive it was a nut tree. Im not to good at identifying trees so figured what the heck do i know. Maybe ill get to cut it up and ill find out i suppose.

WDH

One easy way to tell them apart is by branching.  Ash has opposite branching where the branches and leaves come off the stem opposite each other while in hickory they alternate along the stem.  Does he have any branches from when the tree was felled?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bigc1989

Good idea thanks. Why didnt i think of that.

mike_belben

The expanded metal mesh bark pattern narrows down to hickories, ash, walnut and locusts.  I cant think of any others with that but i could be missing something.  Color wise is suggestive of ash or hickory as was said.  Virginia tech tree ID is a really good phone app.  
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Slice a clean end grain off and you'll know what it is if you take very good close up (very close) pictures.  Ash vs Oak vs Hickory vs others hardwoods is pretty easy with good photo's of end grain.  

Another option would be a butternut, type of walnut.  

It would be an interesting character slab for sure.
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

I cut 10 ash logs yesterday and I would have to say it looked just like that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

isawlogs

Going from the first pic, there seams to be limbs coming off the stem opposing each other, I'm going with ash.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

That Marcell has a sharp eye. 

Thank You Sponsors!