iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If it's in the yard count on it

Started by Bill Gaiche, April 22, 2012, 10:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Neighbor friend had a walnut tree at his trailer park that he wanted removed, no problem. He asked if I wanted the log 8' x 20" butt and I said yes. He was going to burn it anyway. I asked if it had any nails, nope, no nails. Good deal!
Well this morning I thought I would saw it up and get it air drying. Spotted a sheetmetal screw right off near the butt,  cut it out. Well now I had better do some checking. Run metal dector over it and bingo found another. Cut it out. Looks good now so I start sawing. Blade cut a little wavy so I put on a resharp. On second cut, Zing. Cut sheetmetal screw into. It was 2" below the bark and the detector didnt see it. Put on another blade and and zing cut wire into. Cut out wire, changed blade. Made a couple more cuts and Zing, cut antena guy wire into. Cut it out but blade still cut ok. Neighbor friend was right, no nails. Made 11 each 1" boards. Real expensive high dollar walnut now. But it was fun anyway.bg

red oaks lumber

the metal detector must not have been working  properly ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Just think what that will do to your planer knives  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Walnut trees attract metal, especially in trailer parks.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

paul case

Hey Bill,
Come by and I will give you a whole stack of bands that have cut stuff like that!
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

I hit 3 16-pennies in one walnut log. I finished the log out with the same blade and had at least 5 hits on the 3 nails. Made it all the way through, though. No way was I going to reblade.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

xlogger

I was thinking about getting a metal detector what kind was yours I want to make sure I don't get that one :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

That makes that one of those "highly valuable" walnut logs we've been reading about!

It's really too bad to, because you really feel you're coming into a deal and it costs you.

Looked like a nice log, otherwise.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wheelinguy

I was helping a friend saw out an old maple log with his alaskan mill, 40" at the widest point, we hit a few nails here and there.  But after sharpening the saw for "the last time"  we hit a cluster of 10 nails in about a 6 square inch area.  Suddenly he thinks a metal detector is a good idea, go figure? :D

Jemclimber

I think the metal detector(fresh new blade) was working just fine. It made that not so lovely zing sound every time it found metal. :) 
lt15

bandmiller2

I miss my old partner Tom used to twist his tail, learned to immitate hitting a nail noise,he'd be checking the cant then realize. Frank c.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 23, 2012, 03:03:21 AM
I hit 3 16-pennies in one walnut log. I finished the log out with the same blade and had at least 5 hits on the 3 nails. Made it all the way through, though. No way was I going to reblade.
There are always new things to learn on the forum.  Today I learned to shorten the phrase "putting another saw blade on the mill" to just "reblade the mill".
Love it.  Thanks, Okra.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

logboy

90% of the yard trees I cut have metal in them.  I cant remember the last one I cut that didnt. 
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: logboy on April 23, 2012, 03:03:13 PM
90% of the yard trees I cut have metal in them.  I cant remember the last one I cut that didnt.

You got that right. 95% of the logs I get come from tree trimmers who get these logs from peoples yards.
Some weeks I saw more BF from nails than I do wood.

Woodmizer Re-Sharp sends me a Christmas card every year.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Cedarman on April 23, 2012, 08:54:48 AM
There are always new things to learn on the forum.  Today I learned to shorten the phrase "putting another saw blade on the mill" to just "reblade the mill".
Love it.  Thanks, Okra.

;D No problem, any time. I get so tired with the shortcomings of the English language, I work constantly to improve it. If you hang around me enough you'll hear quite a few okraisms. My spell-checker hates me.  :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Bill Gaiche

I bought it through HF junk store.
How deep down does an expensive one detect metal? 
PC no thanks, I saw yout scrap pile of blades, bg

Woodmizer Re-Sharp sends me a Christmas card every year.  Funny

kderby

"Okraism"....as if saying Okra is not funny enough. ;D

I agree with Cedarman..."Re-blade" is a winner!

Not bad for a farmer :D :D :D

nas

Bill, I have a Garrett wand metal detector and it will go at least 6" deep. 

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Okrafarmer

Quote from: nas on April 25, 2012, 07:25:29 AM
Bill, I have a Garrett wand metal detector and it will go at least 6" deep. 

Nick

What model? We wants one.

millwright

I have a Garret 250 and it works great, it will find small nails at least 6 or more inches into the log.

Okrafarmer

Where do you guys buy your Garretts? I went to their website and they weren't very forthcoming about sales, want you to sign up and send them all your info first before they tell you the price. I want to just order the blame thing and be done with it.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

We would want the small hand held one that detects through 6" of wood.

nas

Mine was ordered through a local "treasure hunter" store.  I can't remember the name of the place off hand.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

Personally, if I was spending those $$$, I would favor one designed for logs which has a curved search head instead of the flat "treasure hunter" head.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!