iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Girl with a mill (part 2, now with hydro power and a new home)

Started by chelle, June 19, 2012, 03:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelle

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted on here but I have been checking in from time to time. I just thought I'd update my gallery with the pics of my new saw shed and the revamped Norwood mill. I've extended the track that I built and I've added hydro power. What a difference and a pleasure to mill with. I did all the design and fab/ welding myself but the log clamp idea came from a picture on google. I really just gussed at the linkage points but it worked with only minimal changes. The shed is 20 x 30 and 16' tall. There is now 7 x 14 cross beams on the ends and I'm welding 16" x 20' wide flange beams together to make a crane rail. HD but it'll work. The vertical posts are 12" x 12" fir that I milled at my neighbors. The steel trusses are from the scrap yard. It'll grow eventually but it's a good start.

Cheers, Michelle

fishpharmer

chelle, fantastic shed you built yourself! The mill track and hydraulics look factory made, well done!   8)

Do you have any closeup pictures of the steel truss attachment to the vertical posts?  The reason I ask is I have some similar trusses that I would like to use to build a similarly designed saw shed.  Thanks for sharing.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

york

chelle,yes good to see you back-wonder could you post the google link for the turner??? Am impressed with your work.
albert
Albert

MotorSeven

Wow Michelle...think big or go home eh?

Can you post up more on your log turner? My LT15 operator really needs one :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Bill Gaiche

Very nice  Michelle. I was in Kamloops last Sept. Nice place to live. bg

chelle

Hi All. I've been working my butt off for the part month to get this mill to where it is. I've got all the gearing/ 12v gear motor in place to have remote up and down of the carrige. The only things still on my list are remote throttle and debarker. There is also another clamp system right beside the hydro one. I don't have it set up yet but it's more for edging as I don't have an edger yet . . . yet. It works for now with a cordless impact driver and a 3/4" socket.

The link is from the Timbertools site. The mill is a German mill by Serra. If you follow the link it'll take you to the page that I saw the log clamp. Patented so sorry German guys. I copied it, sort of. Scroll down and you'll see four pix of a log clamp. WRONG ONE, I tried it out with pieces of flat bar, didn't work. The pic below that is the right one.

http://www.timbertools.com/serra-sawmills/details.html

Do you have any closeup pictures of the steel truss attachment to the vertical posts?  The reason I ask is I have some similar trusses that I would like to use to build a similarly designed saw shed.  Thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

I don't think I do but I'll check. The trusses are awesome to work with. I welded tabs so that every roof joist is lag bolted in place. I made 3/8" plate brackets for the top of each post that the trusses sit on. The trusses are then lag bolted through the brackets. Solid.

And yes, Kamloops is an awesome place to live.

Cheers

Lud

Nice work.  Impressive.  What direction does the shed  face?  What kind of weather is it going to handle?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

bandmiller2

Chelle,so  refreashing to see a girl not worried about her nails.My first circular mill building used four of the same 20' trusses you used to  make a 40' building.Used six sections of phone pole for support.Welded a plate with holes to the mounting ends of the trusses lagged to the top of the poles.Bolted 2x4 to the top of the truss to nail the rafters.Couple of years ago we had a large snowload, mall and school roofs were failing,old mill roof still standing.Thats a dandy turner/clamp you built not much different from the Piney woods model.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Chelle, how do you run your hydraulic pump.?Its a short step now to a powered milling head,and loader. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dblair

I took a virtual tour of Kamloops . Nice place, what are winters like ? last year , here in Virginia, is was just like an extended fall never got over 2 inches of frost in the ground . that's a great looking shed you built for your mill .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

chelle

The shed faces west but I should say that as it stands right now is only the start. Now that the cross beams are in I will be covering both ends from the cross beam up. I'm still welding the 16" steel beams together but that is my next step. There will also be a pony roof sticking out the west side 8'

The hydro pump runs off a sepatate 6 hp gas motor, barely above idle. I load the mill with my bobcat.

Kamloops is a pretty dry place but I am 30 mins north and 2500' higher so where I am there's about 2 to 3' of snow. It's also 10 degrees cooler in the summer, just nice.

SwampDonkey

Looks like your progressing quite well with your projects.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!