iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waxing a joint

Started by Alexis, July 08, 2010, 04:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

I noticed in a video (cutting a keyed joint) from the "carpentor from europe" site that the carpenter is waxing the joint prior to assembly. I never read about this in any book... does some people use wax to make assembly easier? It would seem that I would act as a grain sealer also so it could help reduce checking... Just wondering

Alexis

witterbound

We always put armor seal on everything, it seems.  It does help things slide together easier.  In addition, I think it helps when fine tuning joinery during fit up.  In essence, it provides lubrication for the chisel.

Brad_bb

It is common practice to seal end grain with anchor seal or other end grain sealer.  I have a gallon from Rockler woodworking right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is anchor seal packaged for them.  When timberframers cut joints in green wood, you want to seal the end grain of what you cut on a timber to prevent uneven moisture loss, which would lead to checking.  It's done to reduce checking.  I've seen other framers use a quart plastic paint mixing cup with a lid, cut small "X" in the lid and install a cheap paint brush in the cup with the handle sticking through the X in the lid.  This allows you to keep the lid on and keep the end grain sealer from drying out quickly and keeps your brush wet so it doesn't dry out.  Cool trick and easy to use.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Alexis

thanks for the answer,

yes I know about anchor seal,

what I found intersting in the video, is that he is really using a block of white wax and rubbing it on the joint. Anybody rub a candle on their joint?

bigshow

well, file me under liking to hear a joint go 'THUNK' when assembled...as opposed to 'squish'.  I seal all end grain though with liquid wax..I forgot what I used. 
I never try anything, I just do it.

Jayson

Another really good thing to do with wax or end sealer, is to prep end grain work with it. Regardless of how you cut a mortise you are all ways left with a little end grain to deal with. I cover that end grain with wax and try to let it soak a while (overnight works best). I also do this if I run off the line of a shoulder or end cut. It reallys seems to get real glassy and smooth. Just remember to do you labeling before end sealing. End sealing is especially important in green wood because you lose 90% of your moisture thru the end grain. I suggest end sealing everything you can.

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: Alexis on July 09, 2010, 08:51:19 PM
Anybody rub a candle on their joint?

I tried that once.  It didn't help the ache none.  :)

Thackery

I put candle wax on my pegs when I put them in.    I had a couple stick really badly the first time I put pegs in so that was my cure.    I think they probably stuck because I turned the pegs rather than shaving them.

I'm not an experienced tf'er.

Thackery

Thank You Sponsors!