iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video Logosol PH260 moulder

Started by teed, October 14, 2016, 03:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teed

I made a film about Logosol PH260 moulder/planer.
Hope you would like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CRT_1Pvy0
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

teakwood

Very nice. Does the machine straighten the wood piece or is it just presured down? lets say, if you want a perfectly straight piece do you have to jointer it first or does the moulder do that for you?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

longtime lurker

Quote from: teakwood on October 15, 2016, 10:08:32 AM
Very nice. Does the machine straighten the wood piece or is it just presured down? lets say, if you want a perfectly straight piece do you have to jointer it first or does the moulder do that for you?

Moulders come in two basic types: shop/ sawmill machines and big ones. The difference is in the bed length - the big machines have long beds and 7 or more heads, smaller machines have short beds and 4/5/6 heads. There is some crossover in it... you'll see the odd 5 or 6 head long bed machine but its not a common thing.

The general rule of thumb with smaller shop or sawmill moulders is you'll get out as straight a piece of wood as you feed in. They will straighten to some degree if a fence is fitted but there are limits to that before the feed overwhelms the amount of hogging being done at one head and the piece kicks sideways. You can get around it somewhat by doing a few passes, say a DAR pass first to remove some bend and size the timber close to what you want and then the moulding pass to finished shape and dimension.
Some of the larger sawmill type machines can have a circular saw or another head fitted before the first head to take any excessive material off but its not a common option as most elect to either do multiple passes and put the worst of it over a jointer.  Other things you'll see referred to as infeed straightening etc. Multiple passes tends to give a higher level of finish anyway as there is less material being removed on the final pass so it gives a cleaner cut.

Long bed moulders are the big industrial machines that can run to up around 2500 foot per minute. Most of them have bed index grooves, and the first bottom cutter head cuts matching index grooves into the wood which lines up with this. With the wood held that way it cant go anywhere until the last head cuts the grooving off the surface of the timber. Multiple heads per face also mean that they can be set so that no single head gets overloaded with work... its like taking two passes through a short bed machine at about a million mile an hour.

I keep looking at the Logosol moulders particularly the PH360 which is the larger brother to Teed's. They aren't heavy (stability issues) and lack the power of things like a Weinig or similar. But I think they represent excellent value for money and they have gained a reputation for being a capable and reliable machine inside their limits.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

teed

Large differences as I see it. I will only planing small series for building conservation project. And then I have the opportunity to choose those boards that are of high quality and only plane of these. So I will not compete on price but quality.

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 15, 2016, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: teakwood on October 15, 2016, 10:08:32 AM

Moulders come in two basic types: shop/ sawmill machines and big ones. The difference is in the bed length - the big machines have long beds and 7 or more heads, smaller machines have short beds and 4/5/6 heads. There is some crossover in it... you'll see the odd 5 or 6 head long bed machine but its not a common thing.

The general rule of thumb with smaller shop or sawmill moulders is you'll get out as straight a piece of wood as you feed in. They will straighten to some degree if a fence is fitted but there are limits to that before the feed overwhelms the amount of hogging being done at one head and the piece kicks sideways. You can get around it somewhat by doing a few passes, say a DAR pass first to remove some bend and size the timber close to what you want and then the moulding pass to finished shape and dimension.
Some of the larger sawmill type machines can have a circular saw or another head fitted before the first head to take any excessive material off but its not a common option as most elect to either do multiple passes and put the worst of it over a jointer.  Other things you'll see referred to as infeed straightening etc. Multiple passes tends to give a higher level of finish anyway as there is less material being removed on the final pass so it gives a cleaner cut.

Long bed moulders are the big industrial machines that can run to up around 2500 foot per minute. Most of them have bed index grooves, and the first bottom cutter head cuts matching index grooves into the wood which lines up with this. With the wood held that way it cant go anywhere until the last head cuts the grooving off the surface of the timber. Multiple heads per face also mean that they can be set so that no single head gets overloaded with work... its like taking two passes through a short bed machine at about a million mile an hour.

I keep looking at the Logosol moulders particularly the PH360 which is the larger brother to Teed's. They aren't heavy (stability issues) and lack the power of things like a Weinig or similar. But I think they represent excellent value for money and they have gained a reputation for being a capable and reliable machine inside their limits.
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

teakwood

longtime l:  A big teak company here has a weinig 8 head moulder, 300 000$ :o :o, what a beast.  They had 2 small mills, like the woodmizers, but the smallest mechanical ones.  the sawn boards of  two mills working for 2 weeks with two shifts (16hours day) that weining moulder processed in just one day!! Incredible
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ozarkgem

My BIL uses the Logosol to make Cedar T&G. He wore out one and bought another. Wouldn't use anything else.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Thank You Sponsors!