iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a planer. have some questions.

Started by etroup10, October 26, 2016, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

I recently traded some lumber for an American Sawmill Company 20" pony planer and I have a few questions. I've researched it a little and it seems to be from the 1920s but has a 5 hp single phase motor on it. It seems a little under powered and so it's set up for running on the slower feed rate. I have to double check, but I also think the motor only runs at 1750 rpm. Which leads me to my first question, which is what is the ideal rpm for head to be turning? There is a 1:1 ratio from the motor to the head so it's turning at 1750 which seems a little too slow. I have not had the chance to put sharp knives in it yet but I'm getting tear out around knots and I wasn't sure if that was from dull blades or the head rpm being too slow? It also has babbit bearings with oil reservoirs and I was wondering what is the best type of oil to use is? I've been using chainsaw bar oil so far. The last question I have is has any one here made a jig for setting knives on a square head planner? I have an idea for something that should work but thought I'd ask first. If anyone has any other information on the planer that would be great!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

etroup10

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Bandmill Bandit

I am not 100 % sure but I have sent a note for more info to my cousin who owns an 18 inch version of that planer and his has a 10 HP single phase motor on it that is running at bit over  3400rpm and then is close to a 2 to 1 up speed ratio to the head with a pretty heavy fly wheel type pulley on the motor. 12 inch on motor and 7 inch on the head. It works good but he does complain that it could use more power in the wider cuts too. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

muggs

My Powermatic planer runs at about 4000 rpm, but it has ball bearings. Be careful with that square head machine, they can be dangerous.  Muggs

etroup10

that would be great to hear what he is running on his 18"! I figured the rpm was down, I may convert it over to a gas engine and keep it down at the mill. I have an 18hp wisconsin engine that should have enough power and higher rpm. 

Bandmill Bandit

He has a 13.5 OD on the motor and 8 inch OD on the head. Motor is a Baldore 10 HP totally enclosed fan cooled 3250RPM soft start. He changed his feed pulley driver  to an inch smaller and says power is good now. He asked me if I want to buy it from him. I am going to go take a look at it.

He says by the tag info its a 1961 built unit and he got at an auction sale in the early 90s for a saw mill in the north Okanagan in that had shut down in the mid 80s. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!