iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber jack

Started by bendjoseph, September 23, 2011, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

I need a timber jack.  I am not sure which style would be best for me.  Peavey, or cant hook?  90% of my sawing is from downed trees.  The rest is from logs that a tree service drops at the house. 

thecfarm

I myself prefer a peavey,the one with a point on it. The point comes in handy to pry apart logs and than stick in in the ground to stand it up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DandB Mack

Really personal preference.  However, if you are going to use a log lift, the cant hook is going to work better for you since it will hold the log better.  But if you are just rolling the logs, either one will work, and as previously stated, the peavey is useful for freeing stuck logs.

trapper

Check out logrite.  I just bought the log stand for my cant hook from my local woodmizer dealer. Havn't had time to try it yet.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

CT Trapper

I have the Stihl cant hook w/the timberjack jack (log rite painted orange) and it is great. I've rolled and lifted some serious white oak and maple with it. It will lift bigger trunks than you would expect.

John Mc

Are you looking to lift the log up off the ground (i.e. timberjack or loglift), or just roll it to turn the uncut side up off the ground to finish the cut out of the dirt?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!