iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain links?

Started by xrockdawgx, September 11, 2016, 06:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrockdawgx

So where are people getting their replacement links from? I used to get them over the counter back home but haven't found any place where I'm at that will sell them. Several place would be happy to do it for me for a price... but I never felt right about paying someone to do what I am capable of doing. So, online? If so does anyone have a few Web sites? Thanks

xrockdawgx

Ox

I ordered stuff from them before.  They're fine.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Skioutty

I have not purchased for them yet, but have been referred to and seen many postings on them.

CTYank

You probably know that saw chain tie-straps come as two parts- presets with one side of rivets spun on, and straps. They are specific to a given chain "family" and not interchangeable with others.

One size does not fit all.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

xrockdawgx

Quote from: CTYank on September 15, 2016, 03:27:01 PM
You probably know that saw chain tie-straps come as two parts- presets with one side of rivets spun on, and straps. They are specific to a given chain "family" and not interchangeable with others.

One size does not fit all.

CTYank, fully aware. I'm used to going into a store and having a selection to choose from on the shelf/counter. That was Alaska. This is Georgia.  I have not found any such store. Trying to do this online shopping thing without much success.

sawguy21

Interesting. I don't recall seeing any dealer that sold bulk chain parts over the counter although most will order bags of 25 as needed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

25 at a time is the usual amount unless it's on flea bay .

If you built a chain from components you would have 4-5 times the amount than if you just bought a loop of it already connected .What Stihl branded chains I have with the exception of small loops for the 200T are all cut downs from rocked chains from a trimmer bud of mine .Those I have the pre sets and ties as well as Oregon.Keep at it long enough you too will have a collection .

A few years ago when I had the time to do it I repaired about 20 rocked loops .Still have another dozen to do ,hanging on nails .

Al_Smith

Okay now on my soap box.Several years ago 9-10 whatever a supplier,large one had loops of  chisel, their house brand .On sale for 10 bucks,72 drivers .Good deal or so I thought.
The stuff never cut right .When a chain gets cut back to about right in front of the last rivet that's about as fast as it will cut .Malarky,the shorter it got the more you had to lean on it .

A few days ago I finally figured it out.At that length the cutters were the same width as the bar,no clearance  .Sometimes a bargain is not a bargain  .I bought 5 loops that time .If I can find them all I'll either throw them away or give them to some knife blacksmith to forge  into knife blades .

Thank You Sponsors!