iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker

Started by Bruno of NH, October 08, 2018, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Is it worth the extra money for simple set and the debarker?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Revival Sawmill

Yes! Although the debarker really takes some getting used to...

barbender

Yes, IMO. I have a '97 LT40 Super, which has an older version of Setworks that is similar to the current setworks. It gave up the ghost, and I miss it. It mainly increased production for me in two way. First, not having to do any figuring or resetting of the quarter scale when the head is at a random position. Say you take a cut at 17 7/16" to open a face on a log. Say you then want to take a 5/4 flitch. So, do you try to figure 17 7/16- 1 3/8, or o you loosen a screw and reset your quarter scale? With the setworks, you just turn it on, hit the 5/4 preset, and hit the head down function. The setworks takes care of the rest, which brings me to the second way it saves me time (especially on a Super mill with the fast head movements). As your gigging back, it's really nice to just hit the down lever once you clear the log. The setworks drops the head at full speed, and then applies electronic braking when it gets close to the target (which you can't do in manual). So it can land on the mark, much faster than you can. Not only does doing it manually distract you from other things, it costs you time when you miss by 1/16" and your bumping the head up and down trying to get on the money. A debarker is also well worth it. All bark has grit in it, even if it doesn't look dirty. Getting the debarker on a new mill is a small part of the total cost, but if you put it off until later, it will seem like a lot then.
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

When I was beginning to saw, I didn't use the debarker very well.  I was getting 150 board feet or less of lumber from a blade.  As I've gotten better operating the sawmill, the debarker can sometimes help me double the production between blade changes.  Occasionally I can get 400 plus board feet from a blade.  I get more from Turbo 7s than 4 degree blades.  

The simple set is the most useful once the cant has been made or when plain sawing then edging.  It speeds me up and eliminates all the bumping up and down.  When the simple set is used with the quarter scale, it decreases the number of trim cuts necessary to produce uniform lumber.

So yes both are worth the cost to increase production.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

I started out with a manual mill that had neither. Any type of computer setworks is worth it's weight in gold!!
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

You upgrading to orange Bruno?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

DaveinNH

Everything we cut on my mill at your place on Sunday was done with 2 blades, running the debarker. And that second blade was still cutting fine when we quit.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

DaveinNH

I meant everything on my mill, obviously.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Bruno of NH

On the power feed do you have to hold the rocker switch forward to make it move.
Meaning can you let go of it and do something else for a second while it still go forward or back.
Can the beeping be shut off on the debarker or unhooked 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Worth every penny. Speed and accuracy along with longer blade life. 

Yes on Simple set you just flip the forward joystick or drum switch to the forward position and turn the speed on the pot to where you want it. She will go until you tell it to stop. Coming back you just have to hold onto the direction switch into the back position. 

Which model are you looking at?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Wire cutters make all kinds of annoying noises a thing of the past.    ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

derhntr

Debarker is well worth the money. I have accuset on my LT40 which is a time saver. My power feed you don't have to hold it once engaged it will travel to end of mill a rheostat determines how fast it travels. Why would you want to disable the beeper on the debarker its a safety feature that lets everyone around the mill know that it on, only comes on when mill head is moving. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

4x4American

Quote from: Revival Sawmill on October 08, 2018, 05:03:32 PM
The debarker is literally one button.  You could pick your nose as easily as using the WM debarker  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

My dog can't handle the debarker alarm

Peter Drouin

But, If you get a bigger mill you can be ½ way down the log before the thing hits the log. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Lx 150 if I can sell my mill
The 35.5 width of cut with the other options for the money.
I don't go portable
I might have an operator till I get my knees fixed
I'm working on some new treatments to help with the knee pain

Bruno of NH

I dont want to handle anything wider than 35.5
That's wide enough for my markets
I have an idea for a log turner

Percy

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 08, 2018, 07:57:13 PM
My dog can't handle the debarker alarm
Thing about that beeper, like mentioned earlier, let's you know it's spinning. I cut my beeper wires early on and then one day for some reason, I stopped the head movement with the rehostat and walked in front of the head to remove a big shard of wood that had gotten lodged in the debarker. I grabbed the shard and the debarker blade grabbed my glove and ripped it off my hand quicker than Peter Drouins cutting speed. It hurt and I bled profusely. Put a flashing light in
Place of the beeper to keep Fido happy. 😳😳
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bruno of NH

I seen all that orange at the sawing project
I can't get it out of my head😁

moosehunter

The first used LT40 super I went to look at had the beeper wires cut. I asked why and the owner said he didn't like the noise. Then he showed me a nasty scar on the back of his left arm and admitted that cutting the wires to the debarker beeper was a very bad idea. Your dog will get used to it. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GAB

Bruno:
You said something about having "Orange Envy", but I never, never imagined it was that serious.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beav

I always wanted a debarker, over the years my customers learned to keep their logs clean. Debarker never happened.
I  quickly learned to figure the next cut before finishing the last one. Don't have..
I lost no time trading in my first manual lt40 for the hydraulic version as soon as it came out.
Just my 2 cents

Revival Sawmill

Quote from: 4x4American on October 08, 2018, 07:51:30 PM
Quote from: Revival Sawmill on October 08, 2018, 05:03:32 PM
The debarker is literally one button.  You could pick your nose as easily as using the WM debarker  :D

One more thing to keep up with... is it making contact? Is it spinning? Did it snag on something? Did you get the head high enough for the blade to clear the cant but not the debarker on your way back to the front of the mill, and it torqued the alignment??? Not all of us were born with an innate ability to pick our noses either! 😋

Dave Shepard

One of my debarker alarm wires got ripped off, possibly by an offbearer, and I caught the running blade under my left arm. Shredded my shirt and left a heck of a nasty cut on my rib cage, and that was just a glancing blow. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!