iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut prices

Started by Norm, February 06, 2013, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I know this is a broad question and not really looking for specific pricing just what you guys that cut walnut are seeing for a trend. I also realize different parts of the states will have different demand and pricing but I just want to get a feel for what you folks are seeing or what you think they'll do.

I'm clearing some land and will be getting into some decent walnut around March. I'm not sure whether to sell logs or just cut them on my sawmill and store for future sales. I'd rather just get rid of the logs and be done with it but if the market is poor I don't want to give them away either. One way or the other though they have to go as I'm going to need them gone. None of these except maybe a couple would make veneer, most are decent but nothing great.

hillbillyhogs

Guy told me at a kiln a couple days ago that walnut is way down. I'm in the northeast so take it for what it's worth I guess

WH_Conley

Walnut must have came back up some. A year or so ago I was seeing walnut crossties at the tie yard. Of course they were low grade logs to start with. When the market is decent you don't see any walnut ties, when the market is low you will see several.
Bill

Gary_C

Good walnut still brings good prices. Here is the latest DNR sale in southern MN with some walnut. It's the first tract listed, Tract B1.

Tract B1

Best to contact some walnut buyers/loggers and there is one from Iowa that bought that sale. They are extremely fussy on how the trees are cut.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Autocar

Walnut for me this year has been way down in price. I sold 26 inch 18 foot veneer logs this fall for eight bucks they should of been ten or twelve dollar logs so I quit cutting any walnut I had bought. Saw logs are around $1.50 as of this week but have to be pretty good ones.
Bill

Norm

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

OlympicYJ

Quote from: Autocar on February 06, 2013, 10:30:29 AM
Walnut for me this year has been way down in price. I sold 26 inch 18 foot veneer logs this fall for eight bucks they should of been ten or twelve dollar logs so I quit cutting any walnut I had bought. Saw logs are around $1.50 as of this week but have to be pretty good ones.

Those prices are per foot right? Doyle or Scribner?

Autocar

Bill

Autocar

Sorry about that it didn't sink in what you asked  :D. Thats $8.00 a board foot using a Doyle.
Bill

OlympicYJ

Ok figured you were going by foot instead of mbf and using doyle. Alas the East Coast West Coast discontinum :D at least I know what it is. How it actually works i've forgotten lol

Thank You Sponsors!