iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Input on Deere 240 skidloader

Started by Ironwood, December 30, 2011, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Some you may have seen my attempt on the other thread to find a bigger tractor. I must have moved at least 1000 ton of fill this year with my JD755 (20 hp) it held up admirally, BUT I need to do some thing different, I have a 1000 lb hoe to go on "something" it is too big for the 755. So, I have been searching and searching for a solution. I need a "contruction" piece for the next five years, then just more a "maintanence" piece. So, today I found a John Deere 240 for about 3000K uunder market. 1500 hours, runs like a watch and the drives sound totally normal. So, anyone have experience with this model? I will put a standard mounting plate on the hoe (a New Holland 758c, which loooks unused). The owner is a friend of sorts I drove it for several hours today, he told me where it was and said " key is in it help yourself". So, I have piece of mind, I suppose I could find an auction uunit perhaps cheaper, but I know the history and know the guy pretty well. Comes wit hnice 60" toothless bucket and pallet fork apron. Tires are nearly new. Needs some paint touch up.

I would then be able to keep my 755 and just use this 240 unit for the construction type work. An would also be able to mount the hoe onto the front of my Yanmar crawler.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

red oaks lumber

i have not owned a 240 have owned 3 260's 1 325 my current is a 326d. very solid machines the 240 is the same frame with alittle smaller motor and lifting cap.b efore you buy it can you make sure the hoe is not to heavy when its fully extended, you dont want it to tip the skidloader over. if the machine dosent have rear weights ,buy them makes a huge diffreance in lifting cap.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Stump Jumper

I own the 250 it's been a great machine ,3cyl tubro. The 240 should have same engine non turbo.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Ironwood

Thanks guys, I am glad it is not a turbo  ;) I am a simple sort when it comes to diesels and turbos make me nervous as they can be $$$ to fix. I like the fact that it is a 60" bucket as well, my Yanmar dump is a little narrow for dumping a 72" bucket into.

I already have a number (4 or 6 cant remember) of JD suitcase weights that can be added to the back (good point). Bought them CHEAP not knowing what I would use them on  ::) now I know.

I would likely have the tires filled, they are nearly new, and I have a local shop that does the new "regrind" foam for $125 a tire in the 10-16.5". I have had too many skidsteer machines here with tire  issues when trying to "get the job done". I know it will ride rough, but I'd rather not have to worry, AND I do alot of reclaimed lumber so nails are "around", I just filled the pneumatics on my 6000lb forklift.

Thanks for the input.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Welsh

Ironwood, A skid steer is a great machine to have.small,versatile,powerful,ect. I kept my tractor loader,sentimental reasons only and only use it to mow or skid timber out in tight places. the skid steer is my choice to do all other task,s. we have a NH LS180 and it has 5k hrs on it with little up keep.we just put a set of solid tires on it and so far the wear has been OK ride is a little harsh,but no flats. if the price is right for you,talk your self into it. once you have one you will never be with out one ;D. Tim

Ironwood

I did find some online info from 2003 saying the first generation 240 had some issues but NOTHING after that. I checked the serial # and found that the unit I am looking at was a 240 II (generation two) so that is reassuring, went and looked at it again today and gave my buddy the commitment on it. Did not see myself owning one, but after a legnthy online search as to a tractor/loader combo that would do my construction stuff AND my tractor needs it was just too much $$$, even used wit hlots of hours, so looks like I keep my current tractor/loader/MMM, and add a smallish skidloader to the mix. My other buddy has severa lDeeres and he said for me that the 240 made sense, not as expensive if I ever need a repair (at least as much as the bigger ones), and I guess I will be excited to have one.

LOAD those tires!! rough ride or not I hate flats on skidsteers!

Ironwood 

scsmith42

Reid, I have a JD270 skid steer that I bought used with about 1600 hours on it.  I've probably put 300 hours on it during the past two and a half years w/o any problems.

Very dependable, solid machines.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Lefty1981

I have a 240 and don't know how I got along without it before. It's a solid machine. I put tracks on it and it will go anywhere. 8)

Ironwood

Thanks guys.

Just as an FYI, the serial # is 13 digit and count back to the sixth one from the end and if it is a 1 or 2, then it is an "early" generation 1 machine built in Tennessee, the others were built in Michigan I believe, and are #3 and up, "mine" is a 3. I didnt find anything more but that one post online from 2003 about the issues, so perhaps a fluke, but just thought I'd post it here if anyone could use the info.

Ironwood

sandhills

I've never ran a Deere skidsteer, but probably just about every other brand and in my experience, you just as well buy it and sell the tractor, you won't ever use the tractor again  :D.  Just kidding, but they really are that handy, and don't worry about the filled tires because skid steers ride rough no matter what.  The only other thing I'd like to add is that IMO knowing the history of any machine is worth quite a few more $, it can save a lot down the road.  Good luck and have fun with it!

sparky1

The 240 is a good machine. My father has one and i use it a couple months each summer to get my chores done. I wish i had the funds to buy one just like it!!  It will lift alot, and not feel to tipsy. Ive drove alot of bobcats and didnt feel as cormftable as i do in a deere.
Shaun J

JD350Cmark

Ironwood,

I did a lot of research prior to buying my 2001 250 and with 500 hours on it now, I would do it again.  I recall that the 240 / 250 being a bit too small, mainly due to the weight for the John Deere Worksite Pro backhoes but Deere did sell the 3 different backhoe attachments for the 240, 250, 260, 270 & 280 skidsteers.  The small backhoe is 1500 LBS and the largest which has an extendable stick is 2000 LBS.  If you are saying yours is 1000 LBS, I think you might ok with weights.  You might find the need to back downhill.  I also think that the backhoes need a high flow machine.  Is yours high flow?  I'm not sure about 2003, but in 2001 it was an option, even in series II.

Does yours have the 2 speed?  I wished I had added that.

I sure like it, it has it's place.  One thing I do not care for is getting in & out of it and the need for the seatbelt & resetting the brake everytime you get in and out.  I use the forks on it around the mill a lot and it gets old getting in and out.  One advantage is the visability on the fork tips is great.

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

ElectricAl

We had a 2002 250.  Great machine. Traded it for a 2006 320. Same frame with a cleaner burning engine.
Dealer needed a super clean 2002 for an Insurance replacement. Only took $4000 in cash to trade.

My real caution here is the PSI ratings  The hoe may be rated for 2000 psi and the 240 should be at 3000.
The 320 is + 3100 psi .

You'll most likely need a pressure reducer and a flow limiter.
That Deere will throw too much oil at the hoe. So check the GPM ratings too.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Ironwood

THANKS, opertating pressure on the hoe is 2150 and I will check the 240 to see, GOOD point.

Not dual speed, I have driven others with that nice option, this aint got it. I only have 20 acres so not as important for me, not like I have 200 acres (I wish).

I will check on the high flow. 

Thanks Ironwood

Ironwood

JD350Cmark

Ironwood,

I'm looking at a 01-02 brochure and it says for the 240 3100 PSI with 14.6 GPM & 25.4 GMP with high flow.

Also the backhoe specs say that the relief valve is set to 2100 PSI, max.  You say your hoe is 2150 PSI?  I wonder if that is a max and your reducer should be set lower and if so, how much?

The above info is Deere specs from info I kept when I was looking in 2001.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Ironwood

Yes, my hoe is 2150 psi, it is a New Holland 758c. I think that is operating pressure. I doubt the unit has high flow, although I dunno for sure.

Ironwood

red oaks lumber

i believe the psi is rated at w.o.t. if you have to much pressure just throttle back a little.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sparky1

That looks identical to my dads. a little rougher around the edges, but still decent!   It shouldnt have high flow. It does have alot of hydraulic power though!!
Shaun J

Ironwood

Yeah, needs painted. Inside is clean and nice, tires are good. Lots of grease around all the right areas . And it runs like a top and the final drives sound much much better than ALOT of the other units I have driven and hired to do work here . So,
... I guess I might buy it.

Ironwood

stumpy

Hey Ironwood, be careful with filled tires.  I used one as a spare on my new holland and one day looked at it and it looked like the the lug nuts were loose.  Turns out, the filled tires are so hard, they don't flex like air filled and they begin to wear the lug holes causing the nuts to loosen.  Don't know if this is common, but I've heard about it from a couple of guys.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Ironwood

Boy that is a good line of thought. I didnt think of that. My Dad did run the centers off his Kyoti rims when he first got it. Steel cracked all around the lugs, they were tight, just the steel couldnt handle the front loader weight he was carrying around. Looked like a can opener had just cut a coffee can sized slit all the way around. Good point though.

Ironwood

sandhills

I like it, I'll take two!  ;)  That paint wouldn't bother me a bit, I'd be a lot more worried if it looked like new.

Ironwood

Well, decided to forgo the buy, I looked around and the 240 series I was problematic, this was an early series II, but still concerned me, AND I am thinking I need a 70 HP machine (this was 50).

I will be seaching an 863/873 Bobcat. Time for a new thread :D

Ironwood

ElectricAl

We bought a used Bobcat soil conditioner (Harley Rake) for our skidsteer.
I knew it needed parts, so I low balled the seller. To my surprise he took the offer.
Too bad for me, it took 2 months for Bobcat to get 3 of the 5 parts off Back Order.

You can make your own decision, but I have made my mind up already.

No more Bobcat EVER !
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Thank You Sponsors!