iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for 1992 Lt30

Started by badger1, March 06, 2018, 08:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badger1

Wondering what the fair price is for a supposedly clean Lt30. I had an instructor on a log building class that purchased a 1990 model for around 6k that just needed paint. We used it in class as it worked flawlessly. The gentlemen selling the Lt30 I am looking at is asking 9k and that seems a bit steep to me, wondering what the general consensus is and if I have room to negotiate based off the market. 

I like the simplicity of the older models and will be only using it for personal use, not a business so something close to 10k seems high to me, I'd like to be closer to half that for it to make sense financially for my own projects and as a hobby.  

Although, if a guy purchased for 9k and it would never be worth less than 3-4k then I may be able to justify it in that it is only essentially costing me around 4-5k to use for as long as I'd like. If I were to keep it for 4-5 years at a cost of 1k a year that seems reasonable...but I suppose anything is justifiable if a guy wants it. 

Just looking for those more familiar with the models etc for your .02

Thank you 
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience
1986 Woodmizer LT30, STIHL MS261C, 1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS

paul case

Is it hydraulic? That could be your price difference. I gave 10k for a 94 lt 40 hyd, abd still have it and use it. The second one I bought was also a 94 LT40 hd and I gave 12k for it and sold it for 11k after we used it for 2 years.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

badger1

Add said manual mill will power feed head, power up and down...does that help?

47sawdust

9k is steep for a standard(non-hydraulic) mill.I paid 8k for my 1997 Lt30 back in 2010.Excellent shape,granted it was a good deal,keep looking,spring is coming and trading fever starts to climb.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Wisconsintimber

Is that the one on cl? If so it looks to be in pretty good condition, I saw the add a couple of weeks ago.  If it's maintained and kept up I don't see that it would drop below 5k in 4-5 years?  It doesn't have a turner or loader though so that might be plenty $.  Those are 2 of the most labor intensive jobs with sawing and it depends on what other support equipment you have to handle the logs with as well.
I don't have a turner or loader on my mill but make due and load with a skid steer.  As for turning, logs 20" and down are pretty manageable and quick to turn with a cant hook.  Its those 25" and larger logs when I really wish I had a turner.

Resonator

Check around, somewhere Wood-Mizer has a chart for older mill price values. For buying a 26 year old manual mill, that price is getting close to the cost of a brand new LT15 Go.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

badger1

Yeah this is the one on CL for those of you in WI area. I agree I'm thinking more along the line of 5-6k for fair value but I havent checked WM website yet. I dont need one ASAP, but have cash ready if its a fair deal, just thinking this asking price is a little high for what it is. Agreed that if you're knocking on the price of a newer machine its probably better to go that route. 

paul case

It would have to be in real good shape for me to want it.

I wouldn't want a non hydraulic mill.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

badger1

Yeah I've considered that, as any sort of large cutting means you'll have to have a piece of machinery accompany it to lift/move the logs and lift them onto the table...complicates things..I can position a log to the side no problem with an arch etc but getting it up on the table (more than once assuming multiple logs) takes the fun out of it

PAmizerman

I think that is a bit steep for that mill. My first mill was a 1992 lt30 manual. I picked it up for 6k back in 2012. I'd ask the guy if he is taking offers. 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

GAB

I'd be the one to show up with $5000.00 in $100 dollar bills and see what he says.  If he says no, give him a piece of paper with your name and number and tell him your offer is good for 30 days unless you find something else, and walk.
Lots of sellers will refuse an offer and a few days later will be more than willing to accept it.
What have you got to lose.  A little time.
That's my small change thought on the issue.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!