iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oaks in Oregon

Started by Frank_Pender, December 29, 2001, 09:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I am having a real delima about whatto call the Oaks in Oregon and northern Calif.   I have heard all kinds of names that include but not limited to the following: Gary Oak, Tan Oak, White Oak, Oregon White Oak, etc..  HELP! ::) :P :-/
Frank Pender

Tom

Got a picture Frank?  Tan Oak and White Oak are names I recognize but some means of identification of leaves and sites where the trees grow would be helpful.  If you can provide some information I'll sure try to help you identify them.....so will a bunch of the others too, I'll bet. :)

Ron Scott

The Pacific Coast Oaks listed in the dendro book are:

Oregon White Oak
California White Oak
Blue Oak
California Black Oak
Canyon Live Oak
California Live Oak
Interior Live Oak

One would need to check out the distinguishing characteristics of the specific species.
~Ron

Tillaway

Frank, I think I can help you out.  If you are looking in the Willamette Valley the native oaks are all Oregon White Oak, but there is also Chinquapin(sp) and Pacific Madrone.  When you get down South of Cottage Grove it gets a little more complicated.  Their you will find California Black Oak, White Oak, Chinquapin, Madrone and Tan Oak.  The Tan Oak is usually just a brush species in Oregon with the exception of The lower Rogue and Southern Oregon Coast.  Chinquapin can also be brush or 150' tall and 40" DBH!

When you hit Northern California you will find that Tan Oak, Madrone, and some very large Chinquapin occupy most of the Redwood belt.  Tan Oak is by far the most common and is probably the most common Oak saw log in California.  As you move inland, Black Oak becomes the most common Oak on productive forest lands.  The Live Oaks are usually on low productivity forest lands (Canyon Live Oak) or valley bottoms and grass lands.  Ironically White Oak are not real common due to their use in wine casks.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tillaway.  Sounds like you might fit right in.  What's your background?  These fellows on the Left coast need a little company.  Lately they've been trying to get a word in edgewise amongst those of us East of the Mississippi. :D

Thank You Sponsors!